4 (17.4%)
Rays
0 (0%)
Twins
2 (8.7%)
Rangers
6 (26.1%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: 2010 MLB Playoffs Discussion & Predictions  (Read 12279 times)

Offline soxfan59

• Gough, Gough White Sox!!!
    • John R. Russell, Ltd.
I wasn't sure where to post this -- start a new thread for it, or add to the discussion on the playoffs.  I decided I'd just stick it here.

This is a question aimed particularly for the old time DC baseball fans. Guys who are at least as old as me -- that is to say, old enough to have seen Frank Howard play for the Senators "live" and remember it vividly.  

How do DC baseball fans feel about the potential post season success of the Texas Rangers, the team that once was the Washington Senators?  

While I suppose the same question could be posed to the REALLY old timers about the Minnesota Twins, but the original Nats/Senators did have a least some history of winning baseball, and that was a really, really long time ago.

For the people who aren't old enough to remember the second coming of the Senators, I suppose there is no connection.  

So what about it?  Does anyone care?

Does the fact that you have a new MLB franchise to take their place eradicate your memories, your loyalties?  Does the passing of a quarter century in the interim help erase what once was?

Do you now, or did you ever have, any continued interest in the team?  I suppose the fact that they are no longer the "Senators" helps erase the connection, unlike, say, the Dodger fans in Brooklyn, or the A's fans in Philly or KC.  

Are you, or were you, bitter about losing the team so that you wished the team ill?  

I'm just curious.  If your devotion to the Senators in the 1960s and early 70s ran deep, is there any connection to the current success of the Rangers, good, bad, or indifferent?    

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
As a fan that never watch the Sens play, I wanted them to burn in hell until 2005. Now, I wish them luck. Also their old owner is Satan.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
If only we could also get Lee vs. Sabathia in game one as well.

I'm still hoping for either Lee vs. Halladay or Lee vs. Lincecum to open the WS.  Imagine if Lee faces one of those in game 7.
If the Rangers win the first two at home, maybe Girardi panics and goes back to CC in game 4, setting up game 7.

Offline DPMOmaha

If the Rangers win the first two at home, they'll win the series.  I think they split though.

Offline HalfSmokes

If the Rangers and Twins are playing, I tend to root against them. I don't actively dislike them like a new yorkers hate the dodgers, but all things being equal, I'm not inclined to root for a team that screwed the city I live in

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
The team didn't screw he city you live in, the owners did.

LETS GO RANGERS!   :)

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
So rooting against the team is rooting against the owners as well

The team didn't screw he city you live in, the owners did.

LETS GO RANGERS!   :)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Hate to do it but I voted for the Phillies.

Soxfan59 ... here's a piece from today's Post about the subject:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/10/13/AR2010101306738.html

Offline soxfan59

• Gough, Gough White Sox!!!
    • John R. Russell, Ltd.
Hate to do it but I voted for the Phillies.

Soxfan59 ... here's a piece from today's Post about the subject:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/10/13/AR2010101306738.html

Thanks.  It was a good read. 

I came precariously close to losing my team back in 1987.  Had the planned move materialized, they would be the team playing at Tropicana Field.  But "Florida White Sox" never sounded right.  My Dad has told me repeatedly he still can't get used to "Los Angeles Dodgers." 

I asked the question about how DC fans would feel about the Rangers now because a fan's experience is unique.  Its easy to be a Yankee fan, or a fan of whatever team is hot these days, or even a fan of teams that are defined by marketing or hoopla (like the Cubs).  I have so much more respect for the fans of teams where being a fan has a sense of sacrifice.  Except for the White Sox having their one shining moment in 2005, being a fan of the White Sox is like pulling for Superman to wind up with some other girl than Lois Lane.  It ain't happening, but you still love that girl.  The kid sister.  The red-headed step child.  They may not be much of a team, but damn it, they're our team. 

And then, you folks who were Washington Senators fans who were, like me, a kid in the 60s and 70s, you have your first love, unattractive and ungainly as she might have been, taken away from you by a bunch of Hee-Haw-ers from Texas.  Now she's back, looking a lot prettier than she ever did when she was yours.  Its interesting to hear a real fan's perspective. 

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Well spoken.   Think about it.  Now ESPN is talking about Rangers history which is linked with the Team I so ardently rooted for.  They talk of Toby Harrah and Ted Williams as manager.   Short was never a Senators fan.  I was!

Offline HalfSmokes

Well spoken.   Think about it.  Now ESPN is talking about Rangers history which is linked with the Team I so ardently rooted for.  They talk of Toby Harrah and Ted Williams as manager.   Short was never a Senators fan.  I was!

should Baltimore fans root for the Colts because they sometimes mention Unitas during broadcasts? At what point should Seattle fans root for Oklahoma?

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
So rooting against the team is rooting against the owners as well

Not the same owners.

It is amazing the Rangers were in financial turmoil, basically owned by the MLB (sound familiar?), but yet somehow got Cliff Lee and the pieces to compete. I wish my team could have done that.

Be as it may, I hope the Rangers get swept.

I am still sticking by my Giants/Yanks WS with Yanks winning.

Offline HalfSmokes

It is amazing the Rangers were in financial turmoil, basically owned by the MLB (sound familiar?), but yet somehow got Cliff Lee and the pieces to compete. I wish my team could have done that.

Be as it may, I hope the Rangers get swept.

I am still sticking by my Giants/Yanks WS with Yanks winning.

I think it's amazing they were allowed september call ups.

I think it's amazing they were allowed september call ups.

I am just wondering why the Expos/Nationals weren't allowed to be so active when the transition was going on. Can't blame that one on the Lerners.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
I am just wondering why the Expos/Nationals weren't allowed to be so active when the transition was going on. Can't blame that one on the Lerners.

I don't think anyone ever denied that the team was run into the ground under MLB stewardship.

I don't think anyone ever denied that the team was run into the ground under MLB stewardship.

I know. Just saying.

Offline blue911

The Rangers were being overseen by a bankruptcy court. The court made decisions that benefited the lenders being repaid. Not at all what MLB did to the Nats. 

The Rangers were being overseen by a bankruptcy court. The court made decisions that benefited the lenders being repaid. Not at all what MLB did to the Nats. 

Thank you for clarifying.

Sad that the courts were better owners than the MLB itself. :lol:

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Thank you for clarifying.

Sad that the courts were better owners than the MLB itself. :lol:

Hicks defaulted on hundreds of millions of dollars of loans,. Loria wanted to move to Florida. Both are bad guys, but Hicks just wanted to stay out of debtors prison, Loria likes to profit off of awful baseball.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!

The Rangers took on no debt with Lee, Cantu and Guzman. They just traded away from their deep system and let the other teams pick up the tab.

Offline Sharp

The Rangers took on no debt with Lee, Cantu and Guzman. They just traded away from their deep system and let the other teams pick up the tab.
That's not totally true.  They're still paying $7 million to Lee IIRC.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Weren't the Rangers paying like half of A-Rod's contract in New York until a year or two ago?  That'll help sink any ship.

Offline Sharp

Weren't the Rangers paying like half of A-Rod's contract in New York until a year or two ago?  That'll help sink any ship.
They're still paying.  IIRC they have like $25 million in deferred payments that they'll be paying off until 2015 or something.

Offline HalfSmokes

He was the Ranger's largest unsecured creditor in their chapter 11