Author Topic: Oh Man! Ankiel Received HGH in 2004!!  (Read 5888 times)

Offline ronnynat

Oh Man! Ankiel Received HGH in 2004!!
« Topic Start: September 07, 2007, 06:20:16 AM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3008363

Why can't there just be a nice, clean comeback story out there? He won't be suspended, but that's not the point, right? This is really depressing.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
Re: Oh Man! Ankiel Received HGH in 2004!!
« Reply #1: September 07, 2007, 06:55:59 AM »
Well, at least it's solid evidence, not some stupid speculation.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #2: September 07, 2007, 07:51:07 AM »
I saw his picture on the ESPN 3 stars of the night thing last night and said to myself "that guy kinda looks like a juicer". He had a very testosterony face with a giant square jaw.  And then I see this thread the next morning. Weird

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #3: September 07, 2007, 09:29:32 AM »
Rick Ankiel received 12-month supply of HGH, News learns

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BY T.J. QUINN, CHRISTIAN RED, MICHAEL O'KEEFFE, and BILL MADDEN
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITERS

Friday, September 7th 2007, 2:36 AM

PALM BEACH GARDENS, Fla. - St. Louis Cardinals outfielder Rick Ankiel, baseball's feel-good story of the season, received a 12-month supply of human growth hormone in 2004 from a Florida pharmacy that was part of a national illegal prescription drug-distribution operation, the Daily News has learned.

Ankiel, who flamed out mentally and physically as a pitcher earlier this decade, only to return to the majors as a slugging outfielder last month, has evoked comparisons this season to Roy Hobbs and Babe Ruth. He hit two home runs, a double and had seven RBI yesterday against the Pirates at Busch Stadium, giving him nine home runs in 81 at-bats since his remarkable major league comeback began on Aug. 10.

According to records obtained by The News and sources close to the controversy surrounding anti-aging clinics that dispense illegal prescription drugs, Ankiel received eight shipments of HGH from Signature Pharmacy in Orlando from January to December 2004, including the brand-name injectable drugs Saizen and Genotropin. Signature is the pharmacy at the forefront of Albany District Attorney David Soares' two-year investigation into illegal Internet prescription drug sales, which has brought 22 indictments and nine convictions.

Ankiel's prescriptions were signed by Florida physician William Gogan, who provided them through a Palm Beach Gardens clinic called "The Health and Rejuvenation Center," or "THARC." The drugs were shipped to Ankiel at the clinic's address.

THARC also provided a shipment of steroids and growth hormone to former major league pitcher Steve Woodard, who pitched for Milwaukee, Cleveland, Texas and Boston during a seven-year career that ended in 2003, according to records. Woodard and Ankiel were teammates with the Triple-A Memphis Redbirds in 2004.

Ankiel lives in nearby Jupiter, Fla.

His agent, Scott Boras, would not comment yesterday, and Woodard did not return messages left on his cell phone.

"This is the first I've heard of this," Cardinals GM Walt Jocketty told The News yesterday. "If it's true, obviously it would be very tragic, along with everything else we've had happen to us this year."

The surging Cardinals have gone 16-6 in their last 22 games to become a contender for the National League Central title. The year began with manager Tony La Russa's DWI arrest in March, followed by the drunk-driving death of reliever Josh Hancock in April and the loss of ace Chris Carpenter for the season in June. Ankiel, dubbed "The Natural" in St. Louis, had been the one bit of unrestrained good news.

Ankiel, 28, has not been accused by authorities of wrongdoing, and according to the Signature records obtained by The News, he stopped receiving HGH just before Major League Baseball officially banned it in 2005. MLB does not test for HGH, but a player who is known to have used it or even possessed it from the time it was banned can face a 50-game suspension.

Officials in the Albany DA's office did not respond to requests for comment last night.

MLB officials also declined comment, saying they would "look into" the allegations, but weren't sure whether any action could be taken. It is likely, however, that officials will ask to speak to Ankiel and will ask whether he used HGH beyond the time he received the shipments.

According to physician Gary Wadler, a committee member with the World Anti-Doping Agency and an associate professor of medicine at NYU, there is a limited number of reasons a healthy man in his 20s would have a medical need for HGH.

Unlike most drugs, federal law bans the use of HGH for off-label purposes: Physicians can distribute growth hormone only in connection with either treatment of a disease or another medical condition authorized by the Secretary of Health and Human Services. "You need a bona fide doctor-patient relationship and a bona fide disease to distribute growth hormone," Wadler said.

The list of possible uses of HGH by a healthy man in his mid-20s is "extremely narrow," Wadler added.

At THARC's offices in Palm Beach Gardens, owners Kevin Johnson and Donald Montano said they had not been visited by Albany investigators, but confirmed that an FDA agent had questioned them after Albany authorities raided Signature in February.

Montano smiled when asked about Ankiel.

"Yeah, I know who he is. He's having a hell of a year," Montano said. When asked directly whether Ankiel was a client, the owners referred a reporter to their attorney, Bruce Udolf.

"HIPAA rules strictly prohibit me from giving out any patient names without violating the physician/patient relationship," Udolf said of federal laws that protect against disclosure of medical records. "Secondly, under the current policies in effect, no employee at this center is permitted or authorized to give medication, like HGH, to bodybuilders or professional athletes. That's an absolute no-no."

THARC was not one of the anti-aging clinics busted by Albany, but Signature's owners are under indictment. Prosecutors have said clinics similar to THARC paid physicians to sign prescriptions for clients they never saw - a violation of New York and Florida law - which were then filled at Signature and other pharmacies and shipped to clients. The names of at least 14 professional wrestlers, New England Patriots safety Rodney Harrison (who was suspended by the NFL for four games) and Dallas Cowboys coach Wade Wilson (suspended five games and fined $100,000) have already emerged from the investigation, but Ankiel and Woodard are the first baseball players connected to Signature.

Sources said more athletes' names are expected to emerge from THARC.

Ankiel has fought numerous injuries in his career, and some athletes, such as Harrison, have said they used HGH to augment the body's healing process. It is banned in every major professional sport as a performance-enhancing drug because it builds lean muscle mass, but there is no universally accepted test for it.

Ankiel, who grew up in the shadow of the Mets' spring training complex in Port St. Lucie, Fla., has had a career fraught with promise and despair. He was USA Today's 1997 High School Player of the Year. By 2000, as a 20-year-old starter in his first full season, Ankiel looked like the next Steve Carlton, a lefty with electric stuff that earned him 11 victories.

At the end of the season, as the NL Central champion Cardinals opened their division series against the Atlanta Braves, Ankiel started the first game. In the third inning, he came apart, and the end of his pitching career wasn't far behind. With no warning or explanation, he lost control of his pitches, walked four batters and threw five wild pitches before he was removed.

Against the Mets in the NL Championship Series a week later, his trouble returned. He threw only 20 pitches before being removed, five of them sailing to the backstop. He started the 2001 season in the majors, quickly found himself in Triple-A, and by the end of the year was playing in the Rookie League.

Ankiel missed the 2002 season with an elbow sprain, and after pitching poorly for most of the season, he underwent "Tommy John" ligament-replacement surgery in July 2003. Ankiel returned to the Cardinals as a reliever in 2004, but the experiment was short-lived. He pitched in only five games, showing that he could throw strikes (nine strikeouts against one walk). But a year after his surgery, hitters found him to be easy pickings, and he finished with a 5.40 ERA.

Ankiel retired as a pitcher and was reborn as a hitter in 2005, but an injury to his left knee before the 2006 season led to surgery and another missed season. He hit 32 home runs in Triple-A this season before the Cardinals recalled him Aug. 10, stunning all of baseball as he hit three home runs in his first three games.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #4: September 07, 2007, 09:39:13 AM »
So much for all the hype about Ankiel being the Natural and the comeback player of the year. I'm interested to see how many people are going to come out and rip him and condemn in the same way we've ripped and condemned Bonds. There should be no "yeah but"s offered on his behalf. He should be treated the same way Bonds, Palmeiro and others have been treated. Looks like he took a page out of McGwire's book.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #5: September 07, 2007, 09:49:45 AM »
So much for all the hype about Ankiel being the Natural and the comeback player of the year. I'm interested to see how many people are going to come out and rip him and condemn in the same way we've ripped and condemned Bonds. There should be no "yeah but"s offered on his behalf. He should be treated the same way Bonds, Palmeiro and others have been treated. Looks like he took a page out of McGwire's book.

Take this with a grain of salt, I'm not a doctor, and am inferring some things:

HGH is, well, human growth hormone.  It doesnt just apply to muscles, it makes your bones grow (longer and thicker I would assume).  Some people have thicker sturdier bones than others.  It would make sense to me that thicker bones could support thicker tendons which could support thicker muscles, because there is more area to mount things to each other and because I figure the body would have some kind of defense mechanism that would prohibit putting huge muscles on thin tendons and bones preventing you from breaking bones trying to lift things that your muscles could but bones cant.  That is why some people who are thin boned, try as they might, are limited in their muscle building. There are some other factors too, like hormomes and stuff.  You can kinda gauge your bone thickness by looking at your wrist. There generally isnt much flesh their, yet some peoples' are much thicker than others.

Once you increase your bone thickness, its a chain reaction to being able to fit more muscle on your now bigger frame. 

I doubt that if you go off HGH, your bones shrink. Thus you are left with the permanent ability to get bigger than you could pre HGH.

Just a theory. I would like to see if any doctors out their think this makes sense.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #6: September 07, 2007, 09:50:36 AM »
Anagram for THARC and BALCO:

A LAB CROTCH

« Reply #7: September 07, 2007, 10:02:23 AM »
 :doh:

Can we just once have someone who is doing something noble that doesn't have his name attached to the Juice, or beating his wife, or extortion, or pirating, or murder, or drug use, or......

Sorry, Ankiel.  You join the "Hall of Douchebags with Needles in their Asses" along company with Bonds, Palmerio, etc.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #8: September 07, 2007, 11:54:37 AM »

Quoted For Absolute Truth.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #9: September 07, 2007, 11:58:52 AM »
http://www.cardsclubhouse.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19424

Apparently the "Media is just picking on him. because he is doing good"

I can't wait for the entire list of steroid abusers to become public knowledge.  it's gonna be great entertainment on message boards the world over.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #10: September 07, 2007, 12:30:41 PM »
So much for all the hype about Ankiel being the Natural and the comeback player of the year. I'm interested to see how many people are going to come out and rip him and condemn in the same way we've ripped and condemned Bonds.

It probably wont happen. We only rip and condemn Bonds because he is in the spotlight and breaking records.  Ankiel is just a (pretty good) player on another team.  If he were to be on the verge of 73 HR next year people would care. Actually probably not, because nobody views 73 HR as having any substance.  Maybe if he were to be hitting close to .400...

Offline Dave B

« Reply #11: September 07, 2007, 12:33:23 PM »
http://www.cardsclubhouse.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19424

Apparently the "Media is just picking on him. because he is doing good"

I can't wait for the entire list of steroid abusers to become public knowledge.  it's gonna be great entertainment on message boards the world over.

The good news is that because the Nats are so young we should be less likely to have guys on that list.  And if any of our "veterans" did get caught we could replace them easily.  Its not like we have an A-rod, Ortiz, or Manny who we highly regard and whose production would be hard to replace

Offline spidernat

« Reply #12: September 07, 2007, 12:41:16 PM »
It probably wont happen. We only rip and condemn Bonds because he is in the spotlight and breaking records.  Ankiel is just a (pretty good) player on another team.  If he were to be on the verge of 73 HR next year people would care. Actually probably not, because nobody views 73 HR as having any substance.  Maybe if he were to be hitting close to .400...

Not that this would be directed at you Dave B but I had an immediate response to the reason you posted about why he won't be hammered and it't a four letter word that begins with an F! Just yesterday PTI was lauding this guy and they were extrapolating how ridiculous his numbers would be if he had played like this for an entire season and that was before his 2 HR and 7 steaks from yesterday. Besides, he may not be hitting 73 HR's but that may only be because he has only been playing for a few weeks.

I'm sick of this type of crap. There is basically nothing the insignificant fan can do about this and I just want to know when someone in a high position is going to stomp down their foot and do something about this bullcrap.

BTW, Dave B's theory makes good sense and I too am wondering what medical professionals would say about it.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #13: September 07, 2007, 01:13:51 PM »
Not that this would be directed at you Dave B but I had an immediate response to the reason you posted about why he won't be hammered and it't a four letter word that begins with an F! Just yesterday PTI was lauding this guy and they were extrapolating how ridiculous his numbers would be if he had played like this for an entire season and that was before his 2 HR and 7 steaks from yesterday. Besides, he may not be hitting 73 HR's but that may only be because he has only been playing for a few weeks.

I'm sick of this type of ****. There is basically nothing the insignificant fan can do about this and I just want to know when someone in a high position is going to stomp down their foot and do something about this bullcrap.

BTW, Dave B's theory makes good sense and I too am wondering what medical professionals would say about it.

There is only so much room on the front page. I really dont care about this or even about bonds.  Bonds is the prime example.  All these other people are secondary.  Its like if you won a million dollars in the lottery and the next week won a car in a raffle.  Big whoop. If you hadnt won a million dollars you be ecstatic about the car.  But you won a million dollars and the car is nothing special.

The problem is very large and slowly the game will be cleaned up as the steroid guys leave and a crop that hopefully inlcudes significantly less steroid users replaces them.

But then again, what is clean? You'd have to see a bunch of my long philosophical posts

Offline spidernat

« Reply #14: September 07, 2007, 01:28:48 PM »
There is only so much room on the front page. I really dont care about this or even about bonds.  Bonds is the prime example.  All these other people are secondary.  Its like if you won a million dollars in the lottery and the next week won a car in a raffle.  Big whoop. If you hadnt won a million dollars you be ecstatic about the car.  But you won a million dollars and the car is nothing special.

So let me get this straight, the feds have been trying to get Bonds for lying under oath for about 2 years. Not too long ago Bill Clinton (the highest office holder in the land) lied under oath. Ergo, and in accordance to the small potato theory, why bother with Bonds?

Steve Heezy

« Reply #15: September 07, 2007, 01:38:34 PM »
Cheater maybe .... but at the time Ankiel received the HGH and used it, it was not banned by MLB. I don't believe it was banned until last season. Considering he is just an "everyday" player I don't think anything will really happen. Using performance enhancing drugs only matters for someone who has the potential for the HOF: Bonds, McGwire, A-Rod, Palmeiro ........... ever notice how no one cares or talks about Sammy Sosa. Even during the height of the homerun chase there was never any talk of him getting into the Hall, so no one cares if he used or not.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #16: September 07, 2007, 02:11:52 PM »
So let me get this straight, the feds have been trying to get Bonds for lying under oath for about 2 years. Not too long ago Bill Clinton (the highest office holder in the land) lied under oath. Ergo, and in accordance to the small potato theory, why bother with Bonds?

Thats different for two reasons, one you are talking about prosecuting crimes, two public profile between Bonds and Clinton is much smaller than between Bonds and Ankiel.

Crimes should be prosecuted regardless of public profile, but not all crimes need to occupy space in my brain.

Just because something is prosecuted doesnt mean I should spend time thinking about it during the day.

We are talking about whether people would or should care about Ankiel as much as Bonds. I think the answer is no, but that doesnt mean that he shouldnt be kicked out of the league if it were a punishable offense.

The name Rick Ankiel doesnt register with people as much as Barry Bonds and that is because Bonds has been playing and breaking records for years. 

Its why Marion Barry going to court for DUI and crack makes the news more than a murder in Anacostia.  Its a combination of offense and popularity of offender, not just offense

Offline spidernat

« Reply #17: September 07, 2007, 02:14:50 PM »
Cheater maybe .... but at the time Ankiel received the HGH and used it, it was not banned by MLB. I don't believe it was banned until last season. Considering he is just an "everyday" player I don't think anything will really happen. Using performance enhancing drugs only matters for someone who has the potential for the HOF: Bonds, McGwire, A-Rod, Palmeiro ........... ever notice how no one cares or talks about Sammy Sosa. Even during the height of the homerun chase there was never any talk of him getting into the Hall, so no one cares if he used or not.

:doh:

There was plenty of talk about Sosa making it into the HOF so I don't know what you're talking about. If no one cared, why was he brought before Congress and why was he ridiculed for conveniently forgetting how to speak English when confronted with questions on Capitol Hill? And why is it that it only matters for potential HOF'ers? That's ridiculous. This sounds like a convenient way of letting the new golden boy or is it the new Natural off the hook.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #18: September 07, 2007, 02:18:46 PM »
Thats different for two reasons, one you are talking about prosecuting crimes, two public profile between Bonds and Clinton is much smaller than between Bonds and Ankiel.

Crimes should be prosecuted regardless of public profile, but not all crimes need to occupy space in my brain.

Just because something is prosecuted doesnt mean I should spend time thinking about it during the day.

We are talking about whether people would or should care about Ankiel as much as Bonds. I think the answer is no, but that doesnt mean that he shouldnt be kicked out of the league if it were a punishable offense.

The name Rick Ankiel doesnt register with people as much as Barry Bonds and that is because Bonds has been playing and breaking records for years. 

Its why Marion Barry going to court for DUI and crack makes the news more than a murder in Anacostia.  Its a combination of offense and popularity of offender, not just offense

Well let's just sweep it under the rug then.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #19: September 07, 2007, 02:42:54 PM »
but at the time Ankiel received the HGH and used it, it was not banned by MLB.

Baseball has automatically banned all substances on the Federal Code of Regulations Schedules of Controlled Substances Schedule II ("recreational" drugs) and Schedule III (performance enhancing drugs) for at least decades.  hGH has been on Schedule III since a write-up in the New England Journal of Medicine in 1990.  Likewise, steroids, cocaine, marijuana, etc. were prohibited long before the testing took place.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #20: September 07, 2007, 03:06:49 PM »
Well let's just sweep it under the rug then.

Its not a matter of sweeping it under the rug. Its just not worth any attention

Do you really want sportscenter (if you watch it, i havent in a while) to spend 15 minutues each day on every guy who gets caught? If I watched it, I wouldnt. I would like to see highlights every now and then.

Its a novelty and newsworthy in the beginning. Now it is commonplace and not newsworthy

"Next in news, US launces satellite into orbit". It was a big deal at one time, not anymore.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #21: September 07, 2007, 03:12:02 PM »
Its not a matter of sweeping it under the rug. Its just not worth any attention

Do you really want sportscenter (if you watch it, i havent in a while) to spend 15 minutues each day on every guy who gets caught? If I watched it, I wouldnt. I would like to see highlights every now and then.

Its a novelty and newsworthy in the beginning. Now it is commonplace and not newsworthy

"Next in news, US launces satellite into orbit". It was a big deal at one time, not anymore.

I guess I'm just stupid then because to me this reads a lot like conveniently sweeping it under the rug. And now with Glaus being implicated we learn why so many players were unwilling to denounce Bonds and his *"record".

I just heard Tim Kurkjian make the asinine defense that just because they were shipped to Glaus it still can't be proved that he actually took them. I may not be all that bright but that is an insult to my intelligence. Of course all things considered that may not be much of an insult but still...

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #22: September 07, 2007, 03:17:29 PM »
II just heard Tim Kurkjian make the asinine defense that just because they were shipped to Glaus it still can't be proved that he actually took them. I may not be all that bright but that is an insult to my intelligence. Of course all things considered that may not be much of an insult but still...

Tim is confused.  He is right if talking about the standard of evidence necessary to convict someone in a court of law, but we're talking about the court of public opinion here.  If they had that stuff shipped to them, then either 1) they were using, or 2) they were providing to others who in turn were cheating, so at best they are aiding and abetting.

That sort of evidence is good enough for me.  I especially look forward to the terse "no comment" or agents dodging the media, or lawyers giving the carefully worded denials.  Let's put the spotlight on them, let them squirm.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #23: September 07, 2007, 03:20:38 PM »
Tim is confused.  He is right if talking about the standard of evidence necessary to convict someone in a court of law, but we're talking about the court of public opinion here.  If they had that stuff shipped to them, then either 1) they were using, or 2) they were providing to others who in turn were cheating, so at best they are aiding and abetting.

That sort of evidence is good enough for me.  I especially look forward to the terse "no comment" or agents dodging the media, or lawyers giving the carefully worded denials.  Let's put the spotlight on them, let them squirm.

They reported that Boras (Ankiel's agent) was asked to comment on his client being found out and he declined to comment.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #24: September 07, 2007, 03:20:47 PM »
Report: Steroids, testosterone were sent to Glaus
ESPN.com news services

Updated: September 7, 2007, 3:14 PM ET

Former World Series MVP and four-time All Star Troy Glaus received multiple shipments of performance-enhancing drugs via a Florida pharmacy and a California anti-aging clinic, Sports Illustrated reported on its Web site Friday.

According to the report, a source in Florida with knowledge of the Internet pharmacy's client list, said multiple shipments of Nandrolone, an anabolic steroid, and testosterone were sent to a Corona, Calif. address that corresponds with Glaus' address. The shipments reportedly occurred between Sept., 2003 and May, 2004.

The receipts only show that the substances were sent to the address. However, both nandrolone and testosterone were on Major League Baseball's banned substances list at the time the items were shipped, SI.com reported.

Messages seeking comment left for Glaus through both the Blue Jays and his agent were not returned, the Web site reported.

Glaus, then with the Angels, missed most of 2003 with shoulder injuries and underwent season-ending surgery after attempting a comeback in 2004. He now plays for the Toronto Blue Jays.

According to the report, the prescriptions, written in Glaus' name, were obtained through New Hope Health Center, a California-based anti-aging clinic that advertises the sale of anabolic steroids and human growth hormone on its Web site. The prescription was sent through Signature Pharmacy, an Orlando-based pharmacy targeted by Albany County (N.Y.) prosecutors as part of their steroids investigation.

The substances were prescribed by Dr. Ramon Scruggs, who, according to the Medical Board of California, is currently on probation and is prohibited from prescribing drugs over the Internet. Scruggs was also reportedly involved in a lawsuit with Mobile, Ala.-based Applied Pharmacy, which was previously targeted in a law enforcement raid, according to the report.

When reached for comment on Friday, Scruggs responded with expletives and ended the conversation, SI.com reported.

Also linked to the Signature Pharmacy probe, in various reports, are St. Louis Cardinals outfielder Rick Ankiel, at least 14 professional wrestlers, New England Patriots safety Rodney Harrison, who was suspended four games by the NFL, and Dallas Cowboys coach Wade Wilson, who has been suspended five games and fined by the NFL.

Glaus, 31, was the MVP of the 2002 World Series for the then-Anaheim Angels.

He is currently hitting .263 with 20 home runs and 62 RBIs. He has 277 career home runs -- an average of better than one every 16 at-bats -- despite missing significant playing time with injuries.