Author Topic: Danny?  (Read 4062 times)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Re: Danny?
« Topic Start: October 07, 2012, 10:16:39 PM »
That was an inexplicable decision by Danny.  I can't believe that was a callled play, it was too dumb.

If he's going to bunt, it HAS to be past the pitcher, in order to score Morse.  You'd NEVER try just to bunt the runner on first over to second when you've got the tying run on third begging to be driven in.  A flyball medium depth or more, a groundball to the right side of the infield, a hit (novel thought), any of these are better outcomes than a poor bunt that doesn't score Morse.

And Morse looked completely surprised by the call as well.  Did anybody see the postgame Davey interview, and did he get asked about the Espinosa failure?

Yes. Davey said he called for it.

On bunting with Danny Espinosa:
I think Danny, after he struck out three times in a row, put the go‑ahead run in scoring position. To go ahead was big. I don't like to bunt. I'm kind of from the Earl Weaver school: just keep swinging. Don't like to steal that much, either. I don't like to give up outs. But that's a situation where I felt like if I get one runner in scoring position, and Danny did a terrific job, perfect bunt. Actually I thought about running Edwin Jackson to third, but I didn't want to put Edwin in that situation if there was a bang‑bang play at home and lose my third game starter. But he was ready. Just something that once we got him over there, somebody get a hit and we go ahead.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/nationals-watch/2012/oct/7/nlds-game-1-davey-johnsons-postgame-comments/#ixzz28faxJwRQ