Author Topic: 2012 MLB Draft  (Read 53214 times)

Offline UMDNats

Re: 2012 MLB Draft
« Reply #125: February 15, 2012, 09:34:28 AM »
draft BPA regardless of position

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #126: February 15, 2012, 09:35:47 AM »
We tried, hitting didn't want fair market

The Nats definition of fair market (below fair market) or the real fair market value of a player?

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #127: February 16, 2012, 11:20:25 AM »
Just for craps and giggles, here is a look at some of the #16 overall picks since 1997:

1997:  Lance Berkman
1998:  Kip Wells
1999:  Jason Jennings
2000:  Billy Traber
2001:  Kris Honel
2002:  Nick Swisher
2003:  Jeff Allison
2004:  David Purcey
2005:  Chris Volstad
2006:  Jeremy Jeffress
2007:  Kevin Ahrens
2008:  Brett Lawrie
2009:  Bobby Borchering
2010:  Hayden Simpson
2011:  Chris Reed

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #128: February 16, 2012, 12:10:21 PM »
Wow some pretty good picks in there. Lawrie, Jeffress, Swisher, Berkman. And some guys like Jennings, Traber, Wells, Volstad, Purcey that have contributed in the Majors at times.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #129: February 16, 2012, 02:45:56 PM »
Allison is a sad story.  Hamilton without the redemption.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #130: February 16, 2012, 02:58:36 PM »
I would lean towards drafting an upside HS pitcher like McCullers or Smoral to form a next wave

Offline Rasta

« Reply #131: February 18, 2012, 05:47:22 PM »
I think Dahl will be gone but he would probably be my top choice of guys who MIGHT be available.  After that I'd go...

Almora - From everything I've read he'll play great D in CF and hit for average. 
Smoral - The guy sounds a lot like Purke in HS.  Probably not there at 16.
Jankowski - Another good CF who should stay there and play great D and can hit for average.  I think he rises big time this year.   Was the Cape MVP.  I love this kid. 
Stroman - As ZDK mentioned, we drafted him once and his arsenal sounds a lot like Storen.  93-96 FB with a great slider.  Starter at Duke but seems destined for the pen.
Cecchini - Has a good chance to stay at SS and hit for average.  Real leader.

I would be wary of McCullers.  Both BA and Keith Law have mentioned his violent delivery.  The description reminds me of John Stilson. 

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #132: February 18, 2012, 11:22:03 PM »
almora has also got bloodlines on his side.  He's the cousin of carlos beltran

Offline RD

« Reply #133: February 19, 2012, 05:55:53 PM »
If McCullers is there, you have to take him. The upside is ridiculous. So what if he's just a closer?

I dont buy that talk either though. His delivery isn't that violent. He's 17. You can tweak some of his mechanics to feel safer with his delivery.  I think the bullpen questions are more because of his size, command, and stuff questions. Size isn't a big deal, just mean that he's not the 6'5 220lb guy most project at the top, especially with HSers. Command of his pitches has been an issue for as long as he's been a prospect. And they say his fastball can get straight, and his velocity drops after a few innings. The upside is there as a front line starter .... He's got the feel for a plus curve and change, along with his natural arm strength. If you can smooth out the delivery, and he focuses on being a pitcher, his stuff is going to get better, and his stamina will improve as well. The downside - You have a power arm at the back end of the bullpen. That's not such a bad deal, is it? And even further on the downslide slope - If he does get injured, he's got the athleticism and tools to play the infield or even left field.

Too much upside to pass on at 16, especially with the different options he provides if he doesn't cut it as a starter.

Stroman is interesting. As a reliever, he should be a quick riser. His addition to the organization could make Storen expendable, especially if he can get us our leadoff man this time around. An earlier signing deadline should get him a month and a half of minor league experience, with a potential September call up. That could have him ready for a role in 2013 at the big league level. Not saying this is how it would shape up, just saying it gives us a little flexibility to make a move we may have been reluctant upon in the past.

Offline Rasta

« Reply #134: February 19, 2012, 09:12:34 PM »
almora has also got bloodlines on his side.  He's the cousin of carlos beltran

I thought it was Manny Machado. 

Offline Rasta

« Reply #135: February 19, 2012, 09:12:53 PM »
If McCullers is there, you have to take him. The upside is ridiculous. So what if he's just a closer?

I dont buy that talk either though. His delivery isn't that violent. He's 17. You can tweak some of his mechanics to feel safer with his delivery.  I think the bullpen questions are more because of his size, command, and stuff questions. Size isn't a big deal, just mean that he's not the 6'5 220lb guy most project at the top, especially with HSers. Command of his pitches has been an issue for as long as he's been a prospect. And they say his fastball can get straight, and his velocity drops after a few innings. The upside is there as a front line starter .... He's got the feel for a plus curve and change, along with his natural arm strength. If you can smooth out the delivery, and he focuses on being a pitcher, his stuff is going to get better, and his stamina will improve as well. The downside - You have a power arm at the back end of the bullpen. That's not such a bad deal, is it? And even further on the downslide slope - If he does get injured, he's got the athleticism and tools to play the infield or even left field.

Too much upside to pass on at 16, especially with the different options he provides if he doesn't cut it as a starter.

Stroman is interesting. As a reliever, he should be a quick riser. His addition to the organization could make Storen expendable, especially if he can get us our leadoff man this time around. An earlier signing deadline should get him a month and a half of minor league experience, with a potential September call up. That could have him ready for a role in 2013 at the big league level. Not saying this is how it would shape up, just saying it gives us a little flexibility to make a move we may have been reluctant upon in the past.

Good points.  Doubtful he'll be there though. 

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #136: February 19, 2012, 09:21:30 PM »
I thought it was Manny Machado. 

woops.  my bad

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #137: March 07, 2012, 01:51:22 PM »
Looks like Lucas Giolito suffered a sprained UCL and will miss around 2 months (the rest of the HS season).  He was definitely in the conversation for #1 overall and most definitely was the top high school pitching prospect in the draft.  I wonder how much he falls and if the Nats would take him if he fell to them.  Most likely he ends up at UCLA now, though.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/2012/03/giolito-out-for-the-season/

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #138: March 07, 2012, 04:34:37 PM »
draft him and screw the penalties!  he's the kind of guy you would do that for!

Offline GMUTrkstar

« Reply #139: March 08, 2012, 03:55:28 PM »
Here's a link to an MLB Draft put together by Sickels and Garrioch:

16) Nationals (John): The Nationals traded off a big chunk of their farm system this winter, including three promising arms, and recharging the pitching stock seems wise. For me this comes down to prep fireballer Lance McCullers or college ace Chris Beck. You can make a case for either but Beck has come a long way in the last two years and he seems the logical selection to me as a right-hander with three strong pitches. Chris Beck, RHP, Georgia Southern.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/3/5/2844620/2012-baseball-mock-draft

I personally see us taking a HS pitcher or position player with the first pick and a lot more HS talent in general this year. Rizzo spent the first several drafts trying to get talent back into the organization not choosing too many risky players(high floor, low cieling guys) so we'd usually draft a ton of College Juniors/Seniors. With the Farm now at a state where we can afford to miss on a prospect or two without our organization falling back a step or two and a large amount of our talent signed for the next several years this draft should focus on more high cieling low floor players.

Also BA has an article about the implications of Gioloto's injury and which teams may be able to afford him under the new rules if he does slip:

To put those numbers in perspective, even after factoring in a $4 million purchase for each team, nine of the teams would still have more money per pick for players in rounds 2-10 than they spent last year. Giolito seems like an unlikely fit for some of the teams with the lower bonus pools such as the Marlins, Phillies, Indians, Nationals, Yankees, Giants, Braves, Rays, Diamondbacks, Tigers and Angels. However, his injury could be a blessing in disguise for the Cubs, who pick sixth; the Padres, picking seventh; or the Pirates at eight. Those teams were aggressive in the draft last year and now have a shot at getting a player they could only dream of getting last week.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/2012/03/how-lucas-giolitos-injury-could-affect-draft/

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #140: March 08, 2012, 04:01:34 PM »
if the pirates get giolioto they would be sick with Cole, Taillon, and Gio.  :az:

then again if he falls to us i hope we screw the system and sign him.

Stras :az:
Giolito :az:
Gio :az:
JZimm :az:
Purke :az:

Offline GMUTrkstar

« Reply #141: March 08, 2012, 04:24:01 PM »
if the pirates get giolioto they would be sick with Cole, Taillon, and Gio.  :az:

then again if he falls to us i hope we screw the system and sign him.

It'd be cool but if we'd really only have an average of $40,886 for the rest of our picks I just can't see it happening lol.

What we really need is a young 1B(Joey Gallo maybe) in the System. Our rotation is looking good for the next 3-5 years with Stras, Gio, JZimm, Detwiller, Purke, A. Meyer, Rosenbaum, Lanan(maybe), Solis(if ever healthy?) and insert a FA. We don't necessarily need to draft a pitcher early in the draft this year.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #142: March 08, 2012, 04:25:01 PM »
It'd be cool but if we'd really only have an average of $40,886 for the rest of our picks I just can't see it happening lol.

What we really need is a young 1B(Joey Gallo maybe) in the System. Our rotation is looking good for the next 3-5 years with Stras, Gio, JZimm, Detwiller, Purke, A. Meyer, Rosenbaum, Lanan(maybe), Solis(if ever healthy?) and insert a FA. We don't necessarily need to draft a pitcher early in the draft this year.

Why draft a 1B when you can always move a player from another position that failed to stick, over to a corner spot?

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #143: March 08, 2012, 04:27:56 PM »
Yeah, you don't draft a 1B.

Offline GMUTrkstar

« Reply #144: March 08, 2012, 04:31:16 PM »
Why draft a 1B when you can always move a player from another position that failed to stick, over to a corner spot?

I see your point but the kids in HS I'm not saying the Nats don't try him at another position first. But the OF is pretty full and so is our MI and C only spot I see where we seriously lack talent in org is 1B. E. Hosmer was a 1B coming out of HS would you have drafted him?

Offline GMUTrkstar

« Reply #145: March 08, 2012, 04:33:11 PM »
Yeah, you don't draft a 1B.

Y. Alonso, J. Smoak, E. Hosmer all 1B recently drafted in the first round. I understand position flexibility but I also don't think it's a cardinal rule not to draft 1B early.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #146: March 08, 2012, 04:35:05 PM »
We better take the best player available, if it's gio then so be it.  HE IS A TOTAL STUD!

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #147: March 08, 2012, 04:36:23 PM »
I understand position flexibility but I also don't think it's a cardinal rule not to draft 1B early.

you are suggesting going into the draft with your sights set on drafting a 1B.  That is a bad thought process

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #148: March 08, 2012, 04:41:57 PM »
you are suggesting going into the draft with your sights set on drafting a 1B.  That is a bad thought process

I think it should be BPA -- often times a 1B doesn't fit that, because their value is already lowered based on their position.

Offline GMUTrkstar

« Reply #149: March 08, 2012, 04:47:12 PM »

BPA works best every time, I just said we need a young 1B in the system and suggested Joey Gallo since he's in our range in most mock drafts.