Author Topic: Google Thread  (Read 40116 times)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Re: Google Thread
« Reply #375: November 02, 2010, 09:45:32 PM »
Odd, I received no such email.

Imagine how long the email list is. Maybe yours will come in 3 days. I did not complain about buzz or anything.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #376: November 02, 2010, 09:46:14 PM »
I got the email too.

Just to be clear, this is not a settlement in which people who use Gmail can file to receive compensation. Everyone in the U.S. who uses Gmail is included in the settlement, unless you personally decide to opt out before December 6, 2010. The Court will consider final approval of the agreement on January 31, 2011. This email is a summary of the settlement, and more detailed information and instructions approved by the court, including instructions about how to opt out, object, or comment, are available at http://www.BuzzClassAction.com.
Bummer.  No $1.50 for us I guess.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #377: November 02, 2010, 09:52:13 PM »
cool. now that all the worrywarts are pacified, they can go back to giving their whole lives to facebook without reservation and google can get to finally getting social networking right.

Offline PC

« Reply #378: November 02, 2010, 10:14:41 PM »
I just checked one of my gmail accounts and I got the email.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #379: November 02, 2010, 11:17:12 PM »
cool. now that all the worrywarts are pacified, they can go back to giving their whole lives to facebook without reservation and google can get to finally getting social networking right.

lol.  such an apologist :P

8.5 mil plus lawyers fees are like freaking pocket change to Google anyway.  They will have learned next to nothing from this.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #380: November 02, 2010, 11:28:23 PM »
lol.  such an apologist :P

whatever. I just find it amusing that 500 million people give their personal details of their life to facebook without hesitation, despite the fact that there is a semi-major privacy issue with FB like once a month, but then turn around and go all like :panic: about Google Buzz.

either way though, Google screwed up, and I admit that freely. Buzz is a pretty great product that was launched completely wrong. It shouldn't have been embedded in GMail, and it should have started out as invite only with all the sharing options turned off.  simple as that. that way you have to specifically request access, and you can't share anything unless you specifically decide to. that is what Google will learn from this.

one thing I don't understand is why they won't ever consider just taking Buzz out of GMail and Ifully integrating it with your Google Profile page as a standalone product.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #381: November 03, 2010, 12:02:34 AM »
Shrug.  You should know by now that I don't really care.  I just like to needle people.  The difference you're overlooking, though, is that it's still very possible to avoid Facebook.  It might get you some weird looks, but that's about it.  It's pretty much impossible not to use or be used by ANY Google products.  Even if you avoid their end-user products - which would take a pretty deliberate effort - there's basically zero chance that you can avoid being tracked by them.  So many sites use adsense, adwords, analytics, etc.  You'd basically have to never use the internet or a cell phone again.

People GIVE facebook information.  Google TAKES it.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #382: November 22, 2010, 12:59:08 AM »
this is an emoticon in gchat:  \m/

Offline Nathan

« Reply #383: November 22, 2010, 01:01:13 AM »
this is an emoticon in gchat:  \m/
Really?  Awesome :lol:

Offline Coladar

« Reply #384: November 22, 2010, 04:12:42 AM »
Shrug.  You should know by now that I don't really care.  I just like to needle people.  The difference you're overlooking, though, is that it's still very possible to avoid Facebook.  It might get you some weird looks, but that's about it.  It's pretty much impossible not to use or be used by ANY Google products.  Even if you avoid their end-user products - which would take a pretty deliberate effort - there's basically zero chance that you can avoid being tracked by them.  So many sites use adsense, adwords, analytics, etc.  You'd basically have to never use the internet or a cell phone again.

People GIVE facebook information.  Google TAKES it.

I agree with this 100%. People don't have a choice to use Google at this point. You have a choice, but the superiority of their product is such that you don't. Further, with Google Ads everywhere on the Internet, people actually don't have a choice. Any site you go on Google likely has it's webs in.

Whereas Facebook, I still don't use it, don't ever plan on using it, hell, I still don't understand what it's about. A place to post pictures and crap? How it isn't an inferior, meaning with fewer features, version of MySpace which did it all years before Facebook I don't get. But then again, I don't use it, so don't know and don't care to know. Google is such a dominating presence there is no avoiding it.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #385: November 22, 2010, 07:27:03 AM »
Back when Facebook was for college students only (in, say, 2005-7), it was a superior alternative to MySpace: elegant design, no annoying emo songs playing when you clicked on somebody's page, simple means of finding out which of your friends shared your interests (ie, I could click on one of my favorite books and find out who else listed that as their favorite book), and more importantly a solid site design that didn't crash whenever you clicked on something. When the creators of Facebook realized it had money-making potential they weren't even close to realizing, they expanded it to include everybody, overhauled the website and made it buggy and crash-prone, installed a new chat program that failed to transmit about 20% of chats due to technical flaws, and recreated personal pages, groups, and favorite things lists to make them more usable for marketers and frustrating for consumers. Then add the whole privacy brouhaha and you have today's Facebook.

Yes, I am an unapologetic Google partisan. There are two reasons for this. The first is that Facebook provides a service (so-called "social networking") I ultimately consider a frivolous pursuit, while Google provides services I consider more relevant (email, and although I use them infrequently, analytics, calendar, and Docs). The second reason is more important: in terms of usefulness, intuitiveness, quality of design, reliability, and just generally working the way it's supposed to, every Google product I have tried has been far superior to every Facebook product I have tried. Google seems to proceed like a group of clever, nerdy engineers while Facebook proceeds like an opportunistic bunch of hacks who are completely unaware that right now, people's posts on my wall keep appearing and disappearing at really freaky rate, notifications continue to pop up after I've dismissed them, and each picture in a photo album takes 10 seconds to load.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #386: November 22, 2010, 07:35:50 AM »
Back when Facebook was for college students only <snip>

Yes, I am an unapologetic Google partisan. There are two reasons for this <snip>

I don't see how that makes you a Google partisan.  You're indirectly agreeing with most of what I said.  And I certainly agree with everything you said.  Facebook is popular, but ultimately you can live without it just fine.  Google's services and products are practically indispensable these days.  Hence, any privacy issues with Google carry a lot more weight.  Not to mention that Google has repeatedly claimed it "won't go there" and people trust it for this reason (and many others).  Facebook has never really made any claims of being trustworthy and anyone who thinks they are should have their head examined.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #387: December 03, 2010, 04:22:39 PM »
New Gmail Lab added - hitting refresh in a POP folder checks the server - amazing.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #388: December 03, 2010, 04:30:32 PM »
What?

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #389: December 03, 2010, 04:32:37 PM »
What?

If you have your pop account set up with GMail, like I do, and sent to a particular label, you then enable the lab, then click the refresh link, and it will check your mail on the remote server. Before, you needed to go to settings, then POP mail, then click "check mail".

Offline PC

« Reply #390: December 03, 2010, 05:12:22 PM »
Why don't you use IMAP with Gmail?

Offline Nathan

« Reply #391: December 03, 2010, 05:43:52 PM »
I use IMAP on my iPhone with Gmail, but on an actual computer I just use the web interface.  I haven't had a email client since Thunderbird hit 1.0

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #392: December 03, 2010, 06:01:46 PM »
Why don't you use IMAP with Gmail?

Hotmail, for instance, uses pop.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #393: December 06, 2010, 07:59:29 PM »
I love Google.

I really do.

most of the google-made applications that I use work very well. Chrome is imo, the best browser out there. Android rocks the House. not gonna start on GMail. Google Docs does what I need it to do.  all the other Google stuff I use works wonderfully.

But i am just about read to completely give up on Google's Social Networking efforts.

seriously.

its like Google goes out of their way to make their Social offerings needlessly complicated and tedious to implement. Facebook and Twitter are EASY to get into, EASY to use.

now Google's new social effort is rumored to be a toolbar-type thingy that pops up on Google websites like GMail and Google docs.

http://www.slashgear.com/google-1-social-network-now-involving-sergey-brin-03117457/

apparently they started out with a standalone site like Facebook, and that was Google Me, but they decided to scrap this and do this "social layers" thing that Eric Schmidt was talking about.  they they scrapped that in favor of  this stupid toolbar thing, and delayed implementation till next year.

they can't decide what they want to do.

Google just doesn't understand social networking. I am holding out hope that they can get this right, but it is looking less and less so.

Facebook is simple, and it works easily.  So does Twitter.  Google does not.

I am tired of having to copy/paste the entire URL for my google profile in order to log into websites using my google account, when I can just hit the blue facebook button or the light blue twitter button and be done with it. wtf was the point of Google Friend Connect then?

Tired of having to use Google Buzz in my phone's web browser because Google can't be arsed to make a proper app for it.

bah. pretty much on the verge of saying freak Google Social and just sticking with GMail, Google Docs, Search, etc. and surrendering to Facebook for my social like everyone else does.

I'm really pissed at Google over this, they are missing the boat big time, because they don't want to simply admit their mistake and move Buzz out of GMail and make it standalone.  that's ALL THEY HAVE TO DO!  take it out of Gmail, make it standalone, and then make it completely opt-in and relaunch it as standalone with a proper Android/Iphone app.

what is so damn complicated about that?

nobody's gonna want a freaking toolbar to pop up on their screen every time they open GMail. I sure as hell don't.

come the freak on Google.

/end rant

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #394: December 06, 2010, 08:00:32 PM »
Check the Kindle thread, JMad. Google Ebooks sucks.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #395: December 06, 2010, 08:02:08 PM »
Google doesn't have to be involved in every aspect of the whole Internet, after all.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #396: December 06, 2010, 08:09:39 PM »
Check the Kindle thread, JMad. Google Ebooks sucks.

because you can't use it on your Kindle.

Playstation 3 sucks because I can't play it on my laptop.

with that said, I haven't really looked at the Ebook store yet. and I don't think I will for a while.

ebooks aren't really my thing.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #397: December 06, 2010, 08:47:44 PM »
It's no cheaper than any other site. The website integration with the ereader is a little bit cool, but I was expecting to be bowled over. Besides, breaking DRM on ebooks is legal, Library of Congress ruled it so.

Offline PC

« Reply #398: December 06, 2010, 09:28:14 PM »
While the Google thread is up at the top, I thought I'd gripe about how much I dislike the way Chrome is updated.  I mean what all other software is considered a "major" update, a left of the decimal point update.  The latest version of chrome is 9.x.  I checked wikipedia to confirm this and was even more surprised.  I had only thought they'd gone through 6.x, 7.x and 8.x this year but, in reality, they started this year at 4.x!

That's too many "major" updates in a year.  That makes a major update much less major and it happens so frequently and far too transparently, it's almost impossible to keep up.

Offline Sharp

« Reply #399: December 06, 2010, 11:57:56 PM »
While the Google thread is up at the top, I thought I'd gripe about how much I dislike the way Chrome is updated.  I mean what all other software is considered a "major" update, a left of the decimal point update.  The latest version of chrome is 9.x.  I checked wikipedia to confirm this and was even more surprised.  I had only thought they'd gone through 6.x, 7.x and 8.x this year but, in reality, they started this year at 4.x!

That's too many "major" updates in a year.  That makes a major update much less major and it happens so frequently and far too transparently, it's almost impossible to keep up.
If I had to guess, I'd say they're doing something similar to what Netscape did when it skipped version 5 and trying to get up to par with Internet Explorer as fast as possible.