Author Topic: The Bryce Harper Watch  (Read 188326 times)

Re: The Bryce Harper Watch
« Reply #275: April 25, 2010, 03:35:08 PM »
I get a bad gut feeling about Harper. However:

-I am prepared for the Nats to Draft him.
-I am prepared to squeeze whatever production the Nats can get out of him while in DC.

and

-I am also prepared for when he jumps ship the first chance he gets.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #276: April 25, 2010, 04:08:21 PM »
Draft him. He is the best player available. You pay him, let him produce for a couple years and then he'll be up here with the time we got. If he is preparing to jump ship his last year on the deal, quickly shop him for a major haul.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #277: April 25, 2010, 06:31:37 PM »
I get a bad gut feeling about Harper. However:

-I am prepared for the Nats to Draft him.
-I am prepared to squeeze whatever production the Nats can get out of him while in DC.

and

-I am also prepared for when he jumps ship the first chance he gets.

I don't really mind the whole rental player aspect and all.

The thing that really bothers me is the chance that he'll be to the Nats what Brett Favre almost was to the Jets in 2008 (think Jets at 8-3, not Jets choking and missing the playoffs).

The whole Bryce Harper spectacle could really eclipse the contributions of awesome guys like Zimmerman, Lannan, maybe Norris, maybe Desmond, maybe Espinosa, etc. (the list goes on).

The absolute worst would be Harper overshadowing Strasburg.  I get tired of the Strasburg media overkill, but at least he's an awesome guy and it's based totally on the merit of his ability.  With Harper, you just know it's going to be some dramatic clusterfreak media spectacle replete with seedy undercurrent storylines.

That is a really annoying thought.  Hopefully the Nats can do something significant before that, or Harper can surprise us all and be a good member of this team in terms of character.

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #278: April 26, 2010, 02:46:19 AM »
Draft him. Let him play C or RF. Let him go roughed up by adults for a while. Cool him down. Bring him up at a conservative pace.

Let him hit roughly 30 HRs at age 20 or so along with 20 SBs.

I'll take it.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #279: April 29, 2010, 02:19:02 PM »
From rotoworld.com
A high-ranking Nationals official told Mark Zuckerman of Nats Insider that the club has no concerns about the makeup of 17-year-old Bryce Harper.

"Is he confident? Yeah," said the team official. "Is he cocky? Yeah. Does he think he's the best player on the field at all times? Yeah. But find me a great player who doesn't think that about himself." The team official went on to say that a recent report by Baseball Prospectus was "way overblown." Harper is batting .410 with 21 homers, 59 RBI and a 1.414 OPS with the College of Southern Nevada. He is expected by many to be the first pick in June's First-Year Player Draft.

Seems like they're pretty confident in drafting Harper.

Offline Skinz72

• Say hello to the DL-inator!!
« Reply #280: April 29, 2010, 02:40:27 PM »
The only concern for me would be locker room chemistry. 

But maybe he gets along well with guys, but comes off as cocky in interviews.  I put about 2% of my concern here.

Offline GMUTrkstar

« Reply #281: April 29, 2010, 03:06:40 PM »
Also you guys gotta believe there are teams putting out lies there about him so he can fall past the Nats. I look forward to the Nats drafting and signing this kid!

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #282: April 29, 2010, 03:41:36 PM »
When will we know if he plans to put his name in draft?

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #283: April 29, 2010, 03:43:47 PM »
When will we know if he plans to put his name in draft?

i think when he drops out of high school, takes his GED, and goes to a junior college. :-)

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #284: April 29, 2010, 07:29:53 PM »
I am on the Draft Bryce bandwagon unless someone can convince me of why I shouldn't be.

meaning show me a better player more worthy of the #1 pick.

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #285: April 29, 2010, 07:36:35 PM »
i think when he drops out of high school, takes his GED, and goes to a junior college. :-)
Well, probably, but trying to keep my hopes up. Never know, he could say screw JUCO and go to the University of Arkansas. Never know, haha.

What is his nickname going to be here? Jesus is taking by Strasburg and God is taken by the O's for Matt Weiters. I say we never say his name and capitalize him and he when we refer to Him.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #286: April 29, 2010, 07:43:03 PM »
What is his nickname going to be here? Jesus is taking by Strasburg and God is taken by the O's for Matt Weiters. I say we never say his name and capitalize him and he when we refer to Him.

Call him Nat Harper. If it sticks, he'll never want to leave.

Online imref

« Reply #287: April 29, 2010, 08:08:34 PM »
Well, probably, but trying to keep my hopes up. Never know, he could say screw JUCO and go to the University of Arkansas. Never know, haha.

Zeus.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #288: April 29, 2010, 08:51:15 PM »
Satan.  Then we can have him and Strasburg argue on the mound and just wait for the outcome of the world.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #289: April 29, 2010, 09:05:52 PM »
Satan.  Then we can have him and Strasburg argue on the mound and just wait for the outcome of the world.

:lmao:

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #290: April 29, 2010, 09:14:30 PM »
Harper: Throw thy change-up, Jesus! Change-up!
Strasburg: GET THEE BEHIND THE PLATE, SATAN!

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #291: April 29, 2010, 09:18:07 PM »
Winner.

Online imref

« Reply #292: April 29, 2010, 09:29:15 PM »

that is easily a winner.

Online imref

« Reply #293: April 29, 2010, 09:29:51 PM »
Black Sabbath's "Heaven and Hell" would play during conversations on the mound.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #294: April 29, 2010, 09:42:52 PM »
Black Sabbath's "Heaven and Hell" would play during conversations on the mound.
:clap: Gotta love Dio-era Sabbath ;)

Offline Sniper 1

« Reply #295: April 29, 2010, 09:50:10 PM »

This is the first thing on this board that made me laugh in the last year.

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #296: April 30, 2010, 02:17:33 AM »
Everyone who is doubting him... Read the Sports Illustrated article again. And realize now he's exceeding expectations at CSN.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #297: April 30, 2010, 03:16:50 AM »
I don't really mind the whole rental player aspect and all.

The thing that really bothers me is the chance that he'll be to the Nats what Brett Favre almost was to the Jets in 2008 (think Jets at 8-3, not Jets choking and missing the playoffs).

The whole Bryce Harper spectacle could really eclipse the contributions of awesome guys like Zimmerman, Lannan, maybe Norris, maybe Desmond, maybe Espinosa, etc. (the list goes on).

The absolute worst would be Harper overshadowing Strasburg.  I get tired of the Strasburg media overkill, but at least he's an awesome guy and it's based totally on the merit of his ability.  With Harper, you just know it's going to be some dramatic clusterfreak media spectacle replete with seedy undercurrent storylines.

That is a really annoying thought.  Hopefully the Nats can do something significant before that, or Harper can surprise us all and be a good member of this team in terms of character.

Something tells me that those guys you mentioned wouldnt give a crap if less microphones were put in front of their faces.  I'm sure they'd be happy for a spectacle to free up their time and attention

Offline GMUTrkstar

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #299: April 30, 2010, 09:24:09 AM »
Byron Kerr has an interview with B. Harper:

http://masnsports.com/byron_kerr/2010/04/exclusive-one-on-one-interview-with-bryce-harper.html

I wish there was a transcript, can't listen to that here. Cliffs?