Author Topic: Soccer Thread (2011)  (Read 10645 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: Soccer Thread (2011)
« Reply #225: December 04, 2011, 01:13:08 PM »
I'm also really into it ever since Fios got the HD channel for it. I decided to check the standings to see where these two ranked, and was surprised at how low they were, with how great the game was. I've seen some good MLS games, but I wish it was at the level of the BPL.

I really need to pick a BPL team and follow them.

I've been lookin' for a bandwagon.   I'd like to pick a Liverpool/Manchester/London team but that would be too obvious.   Swansea gets my interest because of my Welsh ancestry.

Offline eckseid

« Reply #226: December 04, 2011, 01:21:41 PM »
I've been lookin' for a bandwagon.   I'd like to pick a Liverpool/Manchester/London team but that would be too obvious.   Swansea gets my interest because of my Welsh ancestry.

I would like a team that is up and coming like the nationals. Problem with that is, im not sure how to reaearch something like that lol. I dont want to be one of those people who jump on a team that is the best at the time (Yankees, red sox, patriots etc).

Offline I can Throw

« Reply #227: December 04, 2011, 01:42:19 PM »
I will suggest West Ham, tradition of developing players, fantastic fan base. London team. Great colors.

Does come with some negatives - they are in the Npower (1st division), their history includes a serious hooligan element (ICT- see the movie "Green Street Hooligans").

Great fans.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #228: December 04, 2011, 01:49:37 PM »
Anybody have black and gold?   :)

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #229: December 04, 2011, 01:52:31 PM »
I would like a team that is up and coming like the nationals.

Southampton would be a good choice. They'll be in the Premier League next year and will have plenty of money to spend on better players.

QPR is another good one. They already have a solid team. They just need to get a dominant CB.

I've been a Manchester City fan for 7+ years now (chosen randomly), so I'm a pretty happy dude right now. :lol:

Offline mitlen

« Reply #230: December 04, 2011, 01:54:31 PM »
Southampton would be a good choice. They'll be in the Premier League next year and will have plenty of money to spend on better players.

QPR is another good one. They already have a solid team. They just need to get a dominant CB.

I've been a Manchester City fan for 7+ years now (chosen randomly), so I'm a pretty happy dude right now. :lol:

You're in the high life.   Watched the game several weeks ago between MU and City.   Great match. 

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #231: December 04, 2011, 01:56:28 PM »
You're in the high life.   Watched the game several weeks ago between MU and City.   Great match. 

Rematch in a few weeks in the FA Cup. Can't wait.

Offline eckseid

« Reply #232: December 04, 2011, 01:57:28 PM »
I decided to look up the Npower division and I didn't know teams could be promoted or demoted to a higher/lower league. That makes things interesting.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #233: December 04, 2011, 01:58:10 PM »
I decided to look up the Npower division and I didn't know teams could be promoted or demoted to a higher/lower league. That makes things interesting.

That's one of the things I like.   It makes both divisions fun to watch.

Offline eckseid

« Reply #234: December 04, 2011, 02:07:03 PM »

QPR seems like a good choice. Middle of the pack in the BPL. I guess another question is, how often are they on tv here in the states? Don't want a team I can never watch.

Offline I can Throw

« Reply #235: December 04, 2011, 02:14:12 PM »
Anybody have black and gold?   :)

Wolves.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #236: December 04, 2011, 02:17:03 PM »
Wolves.

I watched them today and was takin' by their colors.    Ain't they a Manchester team?

Offline I can Throw

« Reply #237: December 04, 2011, 02:17:03 PM »

I've got a few Man City friends and they are not happy.  They were unhappy when Abramovich went on his big shopping sprees trying to buy success, and now they are the same.

Now if you want to have fun, I would recommend the Bundesliga. The atmosphere is unmatched, tickets are cheap, and you have a bit more parity. Sure Bayern is always a contender, but you have Dortmund, Wolfsburg, Stuttgart have all won the league the past few years.

Offline I can Throw

« Reply #238: December 04, 2011, 02:18:22 PM »
I watched them today and was takin' by their colors.    Ain't they a Manchester team?

Wolverhampton

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #239: December 04, 2011, 02:20:18 PM »
QPR seems like a good choice. Middle of the pack in the BPL. I guess another question is, how often are they on tv here in the states? Don't want a team I can never watch.

Yeah, they're a fun team to watch because they're an attacking team regardless of who they're playing. Some of their games are on TV. 3 of their next 5 should be on TV here. I watch a lot of streams, too.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #240: December 04, 2011, 02:23:22 PM »
Wolverhampton

My bad.   I was thinking Birmingham area and it came out Manchester.    Don't get old.    crap like that happens all the time.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #241: December 04, 2011, 02:23:57 PM »

Queens Park just doesn't make it for me.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #242: December 04, 2011, 02:24:07 PM »
Can someone explain why, in the Arsenal-BVB match on 11.23.11 (it was rebroadcast last night), the clock hit 90' and the game kept going for another two minutes?  Here's the match in question:

http://www.arsenal.com/match-menu/3447140/first-team/arsenal-v-borussia-dortmund?tab=report

Offline eckseid

« Reply #243: December 04, 2011, 02:25:02 PM »
Yeah, they're a fun team to watch because they're an attacking team regardless of who they're playing. Some of their games are on TV. 3 of their next 5 should be on TV here. I watch a lot of streams, too.

Looks to be on fox soccer plus which we don't have, lol.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #244: December 04, 2011, 02:25:51 PM »
Can someone explain why, in the Arsenal-BVB match on 11.23.11 (it was rebroadcast last night), the clock hit 90' and the game kept going for another two minutes?  Here's the match in question:

http://www.arsenal.com/match-menu/3447140/first-team/arsenal-v-borussia-dortmund?tab=report

They add on extra time at the end of each half for injuries, etc.   The clock is always running so they kind of guesstamate what kind of time should be added.

Offline eckseid

« Reply #245: December 04, 2011, 02:26:26 PM »

Stoppage time for injuries and what not. One of the games yesterday had 8 minutes tacked on to the first half.

Queens Park just doesn't make it for me.

Going to keep looking I think.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #246: December 04, 2011, 02:27:27 PM »
Ah, thank you.  I figured it was something along those lines.

Offline I can Throw

« Reply #247: December 04, 2011, 02:30:03 PM »
I'm originally from New Orleans, so being a Saints fan makes it enjoy the struggle. So when I was shopping for an EPL team, I was torn between Arsenal and West Ham.

Back in the early 90's, we had ISFA mailing lists for teams. I posted a question "What do you think of Kasey Keller?"

The Arsenal fans were all "Stupid Yank, we don't need him", "He sucks!" "You suck, he sucks, blah blah blah". I wasn't asking if he should replace David Seaman, just their opinions.

I posted the same question on the West Ham list, and even though Keller played for their fiercest rivals, Millwall, they were much more respectable "Wish we had him", "Going to be a great keeper" "US will be proud of him", etc.

The strife was o'er, the battle was won.  Since 1993 I have followed West Ham from abroad. I've only seen them play once, away to Southampton, but we won 3-2 in the 88th minute. I had to run to catch the train back to London so I could catch the Chunnel back to Brussels for my flight home. Awesome memories.

I also got to go behind the scenes at Upton Park, into the locker rooms, on the pitch, and at one time, their CEO and I would exchange emails (he was quite interested in the US soccer scene, and very friendly). 

Offline mitlen

« Reply #248: December 04, 2011, 02:30:35 PM »
Stoppage time for injuries and what not. One of the games yesterday had 8 minutes tacked on to the first half.

Wow, never saw 8 minutes add on.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #249: December 04, 2011, 02:32:02 PM »
For those of us that don't know dick about soccer is there a book that would be a good starting point to learn the history and strategy of the game?