Author Topic: Nats sign Raphael Martin  (Read 2518 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Nats sign Raphael Martin
« Topic Start: March 01, 2010, 09:04:55 AM »
I'm seeing quite a bit of excitement around this guy we signed out of the Mexican league.

Per Bigglesdon:

http://therocket.mlblogs.com/archives/2010/02/livo_martin_arrive_in_camp.html

Martin, who is a native of Southern California, said he is big-league ready, but understands that he must prove himself in the United States.
"Personally, I think I am ready," Martin said. "I pitch to a lot of big-league hitters in the Mexican Winter League. I played in the Caribbean Series. I think everything will be fine."
Washington believes that Martin will be a seventh- or an eighth-inning setup man for future closer Drew Storen. Martin is expected to start the 2010 season with Triple-A Syracuse or Double-A Harrisburg. His fastball is clocked between 92-94 mph.
Martin is coming off a season in which he pitched in 54 games for Saraperos de Saltillo of the Mexican League, going 6-3 with a 4.12 ERA. Even more impressive is that he struck out 65 batters in 63 1/3 innings and held opponents to a .244 batting average.

Per Goessling:

http://masnsports.com/2010/02/nats-newest-addition-is-buildi.html

...Martin might be a few months from being a major-league ballplayer.

His unlikely story took another turn earlier in the month, when the Nationals purchased Martin's rights from Saltillo and signed him for $450,000. He will likely start the season at Class AAA Syracuse, and could be called up to the majors later this year. The Nationals see the 25-year-old as a possible setup man for future closer Drew Storen.

If nothing else gives us another solid arm to compete for a place in the 'pen.

Re: Nats sign Raphael Martin
« Reply #1: March 01, 2010, 09:10:14 AM »
He was pouring concrete a few months ago. Now he is fighting for a spot on a Major League roster.

I see a Disney movie in the works.

Offline zoom

« Reply #2: March 01, 2010, 09:53:02 AM »
This is beginning to feel like there are two seasons already.  If Martin is able to make it to Washington in a couple of months then we have the OD staff and then the 'real' staff in May-June.  I guess it gives Rizzo a real good idea of what we have in AAA/AAAA before going into the draft.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #3: March 01, 2010, 10:00:19 AM »
This is beginning to feel like there are two seasons already.  If Martin is able to make it to Washington in a couple of months then we have the OD staff and then the 'real' staff in May-June.  I guess it gives Rizzo a real good idea of what we have in AAA/AAAA before going into the draft.

And no telling which way this could end up.

1) 0-7 start, complete implosion.  By the time help arrives, we're 20 games out.
2) treading water, but can't wait till the cavalry arrives
3) young guys and old "plug the gaps" vets impress and make replacement decisions difficult

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #4: March 01, 2010, 11:05:22 AM »
Martin became specifically a member of the Nationals, he said, because, "It just came down to the money.

9 teams got outbid by the Nats. The Nats were comfortable spending the money because they extensively scouted Martin. :stir:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/nationalsjournal/2010/03/there_are_two_sides_to.html

Honestly, with the reports that Storen is not "elite" material (hopefully fuel for his fire), I hope we see these guys battle it out with Capps for the closer spot with Bruney in the mix. Imagine 4 dominant relief pitchers, with the two Tylers, and on and on.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #5: March 01, 2010, 11:08:02 AM »
Honestly, with the reports that Storen is not "elite" material

Sorry, I guess I missed something. What are the reports that Storen is not elite?

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #6: March 01, 2010, 11:09:12 AM »
Sorry, I guess I missed something. What are the reports that Storen is not elite?

See the BP thread. I don't buy it, but I hope he wants to prove everyone wrong. They are saying he is major league ready but wouldn't close on a contender, which is kind of silly considering sample size.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #7: March 01, 2010, 11:11:16 AM »

The good thing is that you don't have to have elite stuff to be a quality, effective closer. Just throw strikes just below the knees and have a short memory.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #8: March 01, 2010, 12:05:32 PM »
Elite is a subjective term so who knows what they really mean. If by elite they mean the best of the best then I doubt any closer fits into this catagory or they would be starters.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #9: March 01, 2010, 12:17:33 PM »
9 teams got outbid by the Nats. The Nats were comfortable spending the money because they extensively scouted Martin. :stir:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/nationalsjournal/2010/03/there_are_two_sides_to.html

I derailed my thread with my own opening post. If the Nats want a player, they are doing due diligence and then paying to get him.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #10: March 01, 2010, 12:30:21 PM »
Elite is a subjective term so who knows what they really mean. If by elite they mean the best of the best then I doubt any closer fits into this catagory or they would be starters.

Best of the best closers is what I think they meant.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #11: March 01, 2010, 12:47:31 PM »
"Elite" closers is almost oxymoronic these days.  They're so inconsistent as a group.

Offline blue911

« Reply #12: March 01, 2010, 12:54:11 PM »
3. Drew Storen, 4 Stars:

"The Good: Storen has outstanding command and control of a 92-95 mph fastball that can touch 97. He adds a plus slider as his primary secondary offering, but he’ll also show a decent curve and changeup. He earns high marks for his makeup, and has yet to seem overwhelmed by any aspect of pro ball.

The Bad: Storen's stuff is impressive, but for some scouts, it falls more into the range of a second-division closer/good set-up man for a winner. He doesn't have the wipeout breaking ball normally associated with one who pitches in the ninth, and he tends to work up in the strike zone."

He has a plus slider but lacks a "wipeout" breaking pitch. WTF???

http://thenatsblog.com/2010-articles/january/baseball-prospectus-top-10-nationals-prospects.html

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #13: March 01, 2010, 01:03:19 PM »
See the BP thread. I don't buy it, but I hope he wants to prove everyone wrong. They are saying he is major league ready but wouldn't close on a contender, which is kind of silly considering sample size.

Thanks.

I'll worry about this when we're a contender and he gets to a level where he isn't dominant.  :)

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #14: March 01, 2010, 01:14:13 PM »

http://thenatsblog.com/2010-articles/january/baseball-prospectus-top-10-nationals-prospects.html

I have never heard that one either. I don't normally associate wipeout with being a good thing. When Matt Chico threw his breaking ball over the dugout that was certainly a wipeout pitch.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #15: March 01, 2010, 01:15:26 PM »

http://www.wnff.net/index.php/topic,16847.0.html

Yeah, I would include "slider" within the larger "breaking ball" classification, but I guess he means curve.

Offline UnkleWheez

• UnkleWheez DC Sports Fan
« Reply #16: March 01, 2010, 10:36:30 PM »
It doesn't matter what that scout said. The thing about Storen is he can has a pitching arsenal and he KNOWS how to pitch. They write their reports like that to be able to say either way "I told you so".

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #17: March 01, 2010, 10:52:10 PM »
Any relation to Shaun Hill? Or am I thinking of Shawn Hill?

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #18: March 01, 2010, 11:44:13 PM »
:rofl:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #19: March 02, 2010, 08:15:19 AM »

Sean Hill.

Offline blue911

« Reply #20: March 02, 2010, 08:17:22 AM »

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #22: March 02, 2010, 08:00:03 PM »

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #23: March 03, 2010, 01:21:44 AM »
You know Vega. I have no clue who is pictured in your avatar but you should really post here more often. I really don't care what color.

Sorry, you were saying?

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #24: March 03, 2010, 01:54:11 AM »
You know Vega. I have no clue who is pictured in your avatar but you should really post here more often. I really don't care what color.

Sorry, you were saying?
Do you have sigs turned off?  :lol:

I was going to have Brian Bruney as my avatar and some snarky comment about K-Rod in my personal text, but I decided that Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader, Michelle Keys, was better.

Now find some contributions for the BWT, dammit! ;)