Author Topic: 6/15-6/18 Yankees Series Discussion/Info (merged)  (Read 3321 times)

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude
http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/WAS/WAS200606170.shtml

Close on the memory. Scott Proctor started the 8th by walking Soriano. Vidro flew out to CF and they brought in Rivera to pitch to Daryle Ward. Soriano stole 2nd, then 3rd and scored on a throwing error on the steal of 3rd. Tie game. Rivera walked Ward. Then Giuillen tripled in Ward for the lead. Zimmerman singled home Guillen for the insurance run. Then Schnieder ended it with the GIDP.

Then Chief slammed the door for the Save.

The throwing error!  I forgot the throwing error!  That was the key play, too.  Oy.  Like I said, about six beers in, I was at least as concerned about rubbing it in my buddy's face.  Great game.  And when you say it, I can remember Ward trucking around the bases.

Thanks for that.

Offline Wheat

I look forward to the day when the priority is just winning whoever is in front of you. Not getting sucked into the greatness of any other franchise or player. Of course you'll have your rivals and for the fans that will mean more. But never look up to another team. Handle your business and win that series.

Offline Count Walewski

I look forward to the day when the priority is just winning whoever is in front of you. Not getting sucked into the greatness of any other franchise or player. Of course you'll have your rivals and for the fans that will mean more. But never look up to another team. Handle your business and win that series.

I think people fundamentally misunderstand what this thread is about:

I'm not saying beating the Yankees is important because they are the Yankees. Beating them is important because our division rivals failed to beat them, thus beating them will give us an advantage in the standings. Otherwise, the equation balances out and the division goes back to being a very tight race.

It's not Yankee-glorifying, it's algebra. You could plug in the A's or any other terrible team and the logic would be the same.

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude

I'm not saying beating the Yankees is important because they are the Yankees. Beating them is important because our division rivals failed to beat them, thus beating them will give us an advantage in the standings. Otherwise, the equation balances out and the division goes back to being a very tight race.

It's not Yankee-glorifying, it's algebra. You could plug in the A's or any other terrible team and the logic would be the same.

I get it.  And I agree.  It solidifies our lead.

But that lead me to Beat the Yankees and remembering when they beat the Yankees and the fact that beating the Yankees is inherently good simply because they are the Yankees.  Hard to separate that out.

Offline Fan037

When I was a kid, I went to the old Griffith Stadium and watched the Yankees come to town and take both games of an old-fashioned style double header (back to back games).  I loved the excitement but hated losing to those bums all the time.  This weekend I want to win.  Two out of three is fine; three out of three is better!  I'm getting rather used to SWEEPS!!

We've got Gio, Jordan and Edwin and they can do it!  Add The Kid and all of the excitement he brings, WE CAN DO THIS!!!!!!!  And I'm not being a clown, bro! 

Offline Wheat

I understand. As far as wins with value, you'd take winning a series against a NL East team and getting swept by the Yanks rather than the other way around. Of course, we want wins against everybody. But you'd want Division wins, then League wins, then Wins against the AL in that order.

Offline ronnynat

Win 3 of the next 6 and I'll be happy.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness

Offline Jedgi

Nats helped them out too. Sweeping Boston and Toronto.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.

Wait no longer. That day is here.

Offline DPMOmaha

Nats just need to do what they've been doing.  Win the series.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

And it's not Costas.  It's Tom Verducci.  I was wrong on both counts.

EDIT - It's not Verducci.  It's Matt Vasgersian.  Why can't I get this right???

Since I'll be at the park, it doesn't matter, but I'm glad Costas isn't doing the game.  I can't stand that twerp for some reason :shrug:

Offline BH34Natural

I wish my wife hadn't signed me up for that 5K

Offline CNU2007

but do we wish he could be a nat?  i think not.

No we don't want him or need him.

Offline Coladar

I was just looking at the standings, and damn, tomorrow could be one of the best games ever. Inter league, Harper, Gio pitching. Nats have a six game road winning streak, 8-2 of last ten. Yankees? Six game winning streak, 9-1 of last ten. Two first place East teams, going head to head. The last time NY was here, they got raped in the Fathers Day Zimmerman walk off. Tomorrow is going to be an insane game.

Offline HalfSmokes

Is this the most important series for the franchise since they've moved to DC?.

I would say the mets series before the al east swing was bigger to be surpassed in mid july when we host mets and brave back to back

Offline BH34Natural

Just 2 out of 3 them to death...

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
I think this is the biggest test. Of course, I thought that about the first Filthy series, and the first Atlanta series. This team looks stronger each week, just the way Harper looks a little better each week.

Interesting games. This is the stretch when the Yankees usually grind down the rest of the AL East. Ordinary pitching, but good hitting and fielding game after game. Cano is the only regular under 30, and he is 29. (Forgetting the new catcher). Jeter, Cano, ARod, Granderson, and Texeira just hold together and more talented and younger teams wear out.

This is important.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
I wish my wife hadn't signed me up for that 5K

6 AM swim meet over here, water temp will be around 68.  Glad I'm not the one jumping in.

Offline madj55

I'll be at the game, pretty hyped for it! Expecting a big start from Gio.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
Excited for the game! A little worried about the commute home. However, I just got a new scorebook so I'll definitely be writing in that.

Haven't seen Gio pitch in person yet so this should be great  8)

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
I have a lunch bet with a Yankee fan at work.  LET'S GO NATS!

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
I'll be at the Mystics tonight (wish they still posted the baseball scores at Verizon like they used to) but will be in TBSITH Saturday and Sunday...hoping the Nats can continue their recent fine form.

Offline rbw5t

I know $5 seats are normally available day-of-game at the box office.  Does anyone know how early those go on sale?  Will they even be available today?  If so, how early should one show up to get in line?  (I already have my tix, but am asking on behalf of a buddy.)

Thanks in advance for any info!

Offline e44green

Unfortunately they cost $15 today because we are playing the Yankees.