Author Topic: Killebrew fighting cancer  (Read 5197 times)

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Re: Killebrew fighting cancer
« Reply #50: May 14, 2011, 11:09:33 PM »
Writer from Cleveland Plain-Dealer adds to the praise of Killebrew:

http://www.cleveland.com/livingston/index.ssf/2011/05/post_25.html

Online welch

« Reply #51: May 14, 2011, 11:14:33 PM »
And a summary of how we saw him:

The top right-handed home run hitter in AL history, Harmon Killebrew had over 40 home runs in eight seasons and over 100 RBI in 10 seasons.

Born in 1936, Harmon Clayton Killebrew was an All-State quarterback in Idaho and a semi-pro baseball star. When he was age 17, he was recommended to Clark Griffith of the Senators by Idaho senator Herman Walker, who wanted to see his young constituent in the majors. Killebrew blasted a 435-foot homer for scout Ossie Bluege, who found out that Harmon was batting .847 with half of the hits being home runs. Bluege signed "Killer" immediately.

Killebrew was a bonus baby, and didn't get a chance to play full-time until 1959. Under the rules of the time, the Senators had to keep him in the bigs for two years, and he sat on the bench in 1954 and 1955, getting in only 47 games, and then spent most of the next three seasons in the minors.

He was a third baseman when he came back up, and though he eventually played more games at first base than third, he had significant playing time at the hot corner until 1971. He eventually earned outstanding AL left fielder, third baseman, and first baseman honors from The Sporting News.

Killer was ready when he played as a regular in 1959, leading the league with 42 home runs during his first full season, and he hit 31 the next year, after which the Senators became the Minnesota Twins.

Let's repeat a bit that might have seemed garbled or overstated even for Bryce Harper: a 17-year-old semi-pro baseball star discovered by Idaho senator Herman Welker, "Killebrew blasted a 435-foot homer for scout Ossie Bluege, who found out that Harmon was batting .847 with half of the hits being home runs."

Come to think of it, the Nats should retire Number 3. The Old Senators/Nats never retired a number, since Walter Johnson started before players wore numbers, and had several numbers later. Killebrew was our Number 3.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #52: May 14, 2011, 11:33:55 PM »
Come to think of it, the Nats should retire Number 3. The Old Senators/Nats never retired a number, since Walter Johnson started before players wore numbers, and had several numbers later. Killebrew was our Number 3.

He only played here until he was 24, though. Only two full seasons. Wouldn't really make sense to retire his number here.

Online welch

« Reply #53: May 14, 2011, 11:40:05 PM »
Killebrew played four full seasons. He was a sub his first two years -- the bonus baby rule -- but he was with the team every game. Then starred in '59 and '60. He was the cover-guy for the 1960 Senators yearbook.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #54: May 15, 2011, 12:00:36 AM »
Killebrew played four full seasons. He was a sub his first two years -- the bonus baby rule -- but he was with the team every game. Then starred in '59 and '60. He was the cover-guy for the 1960 Senators yearbook.

Maybe it'd work if the Senators had won the World Series in one of those two seasons, but those weren't good teams. I just don't see them retiring his number here.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #55: May 15, 2011, 10:13:48 AM »
If Livan avoids jail time for his legal troubles, he should get the first retired Nats number.

Online welch

« Reply #56: May 15, 2011, 01:54:53 PM »
If Livan avoids jail time for his legal troubles, he should get the first retired Nats number.

Or:

- Joe Cronin

- Cecil Travis (you can look it up)

- Vernon

- Hondo

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #57: May 15, 2011, 05:31:42 PM »
Or:

- Joe Cronin

- Cecil Travis (you can look it up)

- Vernon

- Hondo

It's a different franchise though, in a different league. It's just one man's opinon :shrug:

Online welch

Ding!
« Reply #58: May 15, 2011, 06:22:43 PM »
I'm a third generation Washingtonian, and Senator fan. My grandfather saw Walter Johnson; my dad saw Cecil Travis / Buddy Lewis / Early Wynn. I watched Harmon Killebrew start when he was 17. Yep...he might have been 24 when they stole our team (see David Gough's book), but Harmon started in Washington at 17.

The only Expo I ever saw was Rusty Staub, after he came to the Mets.

Go through a history of the Washington Senators (start with Shirley Povich's book, 1954 but recently reprinted) and you find that there were a dozen Washington franchises, named nationals, Potomac, Statesmen (?), and usually called the Senators by fans who just didn't care what the owners said.

This is another franchise...Walter Johnson pitched in DC, threw a silver dollar across the Rappahanock, Bucky Harris managed the Nats three times, and the franchise played in the American Association (?), the National League (two or three versions), the American League, and now the National League. The Expos are finished, just as the Texas Rangers have no connection to DC. Warner Wolf once predicted that the mid-80s Twins would win the World Series because "They are the Warshnin Senators in disguise", but none of his New York audience, except for me and the kids, knew what he was talking about.

Little Tavern is gone; Hot Shoppes is gone; Hogates is probably gone, the street-car tracks are gone, but they are still Washington institutions.

Consider: a few years ago, my son and I made our annual visit to MCI Center to see the Caps (the Bondra / Ollie era) and there, exhibited on the wall, was not only a Wes Unseld jersey and a Sonny Jurgensen jersey, but Harmon Killebrew's number 3.

[edited to correct for beer-erations. Happens when the Nats win. Ding! Ding! Ding! Oh, for an explanation: my Dad says that Arch MacDonald used to broadcast out-of-town games from a car-dealer show-room down-town. He would read the ticker and imitate the crowd. He would ding a bell for each hit. That's baseball over the radio back in the '30s.]

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #59: May 15, 2011, 06:25:13 PM »
I'm a third generation Washingtonian, and Senator fan. Ny grandfather saw Walter Johnson; my dad saw Cecil Travis / Buddy Lewis / Early Wynn. I watched Harmon Killebrew start when he was 17. Yep...he might have been 24 when they stole our team (see David Gough's book), but Harmon started in Washington at 17.

The only Expo I ever saw was Rusty Staub, after he came to the Mets.

Go through a history of the Washington Senastors (start with Shirley Povich's book, 1954 but recently reprint3ed) and you find that there were a dozen Washington franchises, named nationals, Potomasc, Statesmen (?), and usually called the Senators by fans who just didn't care what the owners said.

This is another franchise...Walter Johnson pitched in DC, threw a silver dollar across the Rappahanock, Bucky Harris managed the Nats three times, and the franchise played in the American Assoxciation (?) the National League (two or three versions), the American League, and now the National League. The Expos are finished, just as the Texas Rangers have to connection to DC. Warner Wolf once predicted that tje mid-80s Twins would win the World Series because "They are the Warshnin Senators in disguise", but none of his New York audience, except for me and the kids, knew what he was talking about.

Little Tavern is gone; Hot Shoppes is gone; Hogates is probably gone, the street-car tracks are gone, but they are still Washington institutions.

Consider: a few years ago, my son and I made our annual visit to MCI Center to see the Caps (the Bondra / Ollie era) and there, exhibited on the wall, was not only a Wes Unseld jersey and a Sonny Jurgensen jersey, but Harmon Killebrew's number 3.

:thumbs: :yesyes:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #60: May 15, 2011, 06:46:04 PM »
It's a different franchise though, in a different league. It's just one man's opinon :shrug:

Who cares about that legalistic mumbo jumbo? 

Minnesota and Arlington stole our teams but can't steal our history.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #61: May 15, 2011, 07:03:53 PM »
my Dad says that Arch MacDonald used to broadcast out-of-town games from a car-dealer show-room down-town. He would read the ticker and imitate the crowd. He would ding a bell for each hit. That's baseball over the radio back in the '30s.

:lmao:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #62: May 16, 2011, 09:17:25 AM »
Steve Goldman, Baseball Prospectus:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=13911#commentMessage

Peace Be With You, Harmon Killebrew
by Steven Goldman

I never saw Harmon Killebrew play. His last 40-homer season concluded about two months before I was born, and though he played until I was four years old, my awareness of baseball begins a couple of years after that, in 1977, when I started following the Yankees. I was well-aware of Rod Carew, and even had a Carew-branded pitch-back, but I didn’t know until later that Carew had played with a monster right-handed slugger called Killer.

I wish I had seen him, whether it was in the regular season or socking home runs in the 1965 or 1970 playoffs. He would have been my kind of player, and Baseball Prospectus’s kind too, the type of hitter we would have defended—throughout his career, Killebrew took some knocks for his .256 batting average, but the sabermetric community, had it existed, would have known to point out his .376 on-base percentage, .509 slugging percentage, and .252 isolated power. That last ranked 11th on the all-time list when he retired in 1975 (minimum 5000 plate appearances), and his 573 career home runs ranked fifth, trailing only Hank Aaron, Babe Ruth, Willie Mays, and Frank Robinson. He was an early Three True Outcomes hero.

On Friday, Killebrew announced that his struggle against esophageal cancer had reached its end, and that he was going to take hospice care, which is code for being gently ushered out of this world. All of our sympathies go to Killebrew, Killebrew’s family, and the baseball community as a whole, which will soon lose one of the greats of the game.

Killebrew was a bonus baby, one of those players forced to go directly to the majors because of the size of his contract. So many of those players’ careers were permanently retarded; imagine the Orioles having to carry Manny Machado on their bench for two years, without any minor-league training, the team not knowing if he is ready or not. That is what happened to the teenage Killebrew when he signed with the Nationals; he spent 1954 and 1955 in the majors with the Washington Senators, getting just 104 plate appearances over the two seasons. It was only then that Killebrew was free to go to the minors and show what he could do.

It took three years for him to return full time, but when he did, at the age of 23, he immediately took the American League by storm, leading the league in home runs with 42 in what was for all practical purposes his rookie year. Despite playing most of his career in a low-scoring era, he hit over 40 home runs eight times, and led the AL six times. Though he never had a higher average than .288, his walks—he drew over 100 free passes eight times as well—and power made him a terrifically valuable batter. Perhaps the only long-term damage done by Killebrew's Bonus Baby years is that on defense he was never able to excel at any one position. His managers bounced him from third base to first base to left field depending on their needs, and if he was flexible and versatile enough to handle the moves and keep hitting, he also wasn't a great asset with the glove at any of those positions.

To give fair credit to the observers of the day, they did notice how good Killebrew was. He won the Most Valuable Player award in 1969, not only his best season but (no coincidence) a postseason year for the Minnesota Twins, and he had five other top-ten finishes in the voting. That ’69 season, in which he hit .276/.427/.584 with 49 home runs and 145 walks in a league that hit only .246/.321/.369, well… Let’s just say if you could have transported Killebrew and that season to the Metrodome of 1998, folks wouldn’t have been talking about Sosa and McGwire. It should also be noted that the Red Sox heavily scouted Killebrew prior to his signing with the Senators, but in one of perhaps a thousand spectacularly stupid decisions by Tom Yawkey's various mentally handicapped minions during that period, they failed to meet his bonus demands. Somewhere, there is a parallel universe where the Red Sox signed both Mays and Killebrew, watched them hit 1200 home runs between them, and ended their World Series drought about half a century before they actually did.

Let us stop here. There will be time for career assessments later. For now, let us only repeat our wish that his final days be as comfortable as possible, and that in these last hours the Hall of Famer knows that he will be remembered as long as there is baseball.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #63: May 16, 2011, 09:26:55 AM »
...let us only repeat our wish that his final days be as comfortable as possible...

Amen.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #64: May 16, 2011, 09:28:48 AM »
If Livan avoids jail time for his legal troubles

I'm sorry, but even if Livan becomes a star witness for the feds and sings like a canary there is no way his number should get retired if there's even a shred of credibility to the reports coming out. 

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #65: May 16, 2011, 10:16:17 AM »
I'm sorry, but even if Livan becomes a star witness for the feds and sings like a canary there is no way his number should get retired if there's even a shred of credibility to the reports coming out. 

...not much worse, really, than the name of Edward Bennett Williams - the man who kept baseball out of Washington for many more years when he unilaterally proclaimed the Orioles a 'regional team' after buying that club in 1979 - being in the Washington Hall of Fame banner hanging over the left field concourse at Nats Park.

He was, of course, a Redskins owner/executive and has been duly honoured by that club in FedEx Field's ring of fame...but his name does not belong in a Washington baseball stadium in any sort of honoured capacity. One may as well put Bob Short and Peter Angelos up there while we're at it.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #66: May 16, 2011, 10:21:58 AM »
OC - thanks for that.  My knowledge base on DC sports is sorely lacking.

Offline OldNatsFan

« Reply #67: May 16, 2011, 10:29:36 AM »
 quote by Welch..[edited to correct for beer-erations. Happens when the Nats win. Ding! Ding! Ding! Oh, for an explanation: my Dad says that Arch MacDonald used to broadcast out-of-town games from a car-dealer show-room down-town. He would read the ticker and imitate the crowd. He would ding a bell for each hit. That's baseball over the radio back in the '30s.] I remember Arch MacDonald doing that in the 1950's. I don't remember a bell but do remember he had a sound effect for the bat hitting the ball and crowd noise.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #68: May 16, 2011, 07:24:08 PM »
Wish someone had the forethought to record his  (arch) recreations.  Would love to hear one now. Bing had nothing.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #69: May 16, 2011, 07:30:44 PM »
Another nurse who I worked with over 30 years ago is now working in Florida as a hospice nurse. She told me it's been the most fulfilling nursing she's ever practiced.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #70: May 17, 2011, 07:20:04 AM »
My Mom was in Hospice care the last 3 months of her life!  Its a wonderful service.  They not only help the patient be as comfortable as possible ;  they have a team of social workers, chaplains and grief counselors to help the family for up to a year after the loved one passes.  The nurses are available day or night for questions of a family caregiver.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #71: May 17, 2011, 09:10:26 AM »
My Mom was in Hospice care the last 3 months of her life!  Its a wonderful service.  They not only help the patient be as comfortable as possible ;  they have a team of social workers, chaplains and grief counselors to help the family for up to a year after the loved one passes.  The nurses are available day or night for questions of a family caregiver.

Hospice care workers are some of the best people on earth.  Bless them for the work that they do. 

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #72: May 17, 2011, 11:37:55 AM »
MLB MLB
We mourn the passing of Hall of Famer and Twins icon Harmon Killebrew, who died today at the age of 74.

Very sad

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #73: May 17, 2011, 12:05:28 PM »
sigh...

RIP Harmon "Killer" Killebrew

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #74: May 17, 2011, 12:10:24 PM »
MLB MLB
We mourn the passing of Hall of Famer and Twins icon Harmon Killebrew, who died today at the age of 74.

Very sad
RIP and thank you for the memories.