Author Topic: Milledge Gets Leadoff Spot  (Read 3521 times)

Bags

Re: Milledge Gets Leadoff Spot
« Reply #25: March 23, 2009, 01:39:23 AM »
Dukes would be a good number 2 guy as well.

Yep, it was when they moved a struggling Dukes from the bottom of the order last season up to the 2 hole (mostly because of injuries to the players who had been used there up to that point) that Dukes productivity suddenly took off.  He didn't stay quite that high in the order for very long, but fortunately Manny saw the light and his days of batting in front of the pitcher were over.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #26: March 23, 2009, 01:51:49 AM »

Yep, it was when they moved a struggling Dukes from the bottom of the order last season up to the 2 hole (mostly because of injuries to the players who had been used there up to that point) that Dukes productivity suddenly took off.  He didn't stay quite that high in the order for very long, but fortunately Manny saw the light and his days of batting in front of the pitcher were over.

Ugh Yea, That first month of his was really rough, I was not positive about him but then damn he was just on a roll. Hopefully we wont have to go through that with him, milledge, zimmerman, hell anyone we rely on really cause that was a depressing time for him.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #27: March 23, 2009, 09:03:21 AM »
Stop this logic immediately. You threaten the "Put all the players names in a hat and draw them out and that is our order" philosophy.

Billy Martin did that.

Offline R-Zim#11

« Reply #28: March 23, 2009, 10:54:39 AM »
This is a bit of a surprise considering his OBP. However Jose Reyes has never had a particularly high OBP, and I'd take him in a heart beat.

Not saying Milledge is going to steal 50-60-70 bases, but I think you get my point.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #29: March 23, 2009, 11:05:16 AM »
but I think you get my point.

the mets don't know how to construct a lineup, speed is over valued, you need exiciting players in NY, am I getting close?

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #30: March 23, 2009, 11:27:09 AM »
Milledge second half of the year had an OBP of .350, which would be adequate (actually above mean average and right on the median last year for MLB) for a leadoff hitter.  What scares me about the quote is that he may not be looking to walk.  Without walks, he is not a leadoff hitter. 

As for #2, I've been partial to Johnson for a while.  I think a grinding OBP guy should get up before Zimmerman, Dunn, Dukes, and not after; Craig Heist (do I have the guy from WTOP's name right?) said yesterday Manny's leaning towards Johnson 6th. 

Guz as #2 might not be a disaster, though, if his PECOTA projection of a .320+ BA.  They have his OBP above average.  However, he does not take enough pitches to optimize the #2 slot.  6th might be a good spot for him so his contact can drive in runs.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #31: March 23, 2009, 12:53:06 PM »
Horrible, HORRIBLE idea to pick Nick 6th, unless it's based on the idea that his ST struggles will extend to the regular season.

WHAT THE freak IS MANNY ACTA DOING?

I might have to change my username. :?

How does "KnorrForYourMoney" sound? :D

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #32: March 23, 2009, 01:38:54 PM »

Offline Burgess

• K MONSTER!
The leadoff hitter debate....
« Reply #33: March 31, 2009, 05:13:54 PM »
So from the looks of it Milledge will be the leadoff hitter, Im against it personally, Milledge doesn't have much plate displine. He has potential for 20/20 season but I just don't think he has what it takes to be the leadoff hitter (he has the speed though). What about Dukes? I don't know if im right but he did bat leadoff last year and wasn't he impressive? Dukes has power, speed and had a obp of 386 last season (I have also noticed improvement in his patience at the plate) . Dukes will be batting sixth I guess because he looks more suited for that spot but in my opinion, if we ask Dukes to be the leadoff, he could do the job. Again some of my facts may not be right just correct me im just a fanatic with not much knowledge (im trying to increase it). I just don't think Milledge should be batting leadoffs(but I know we don't have much guys that could do it) So what do you guys think?

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #34: March 31, 2009, 09:40:04 PM »
"bonafide lead-off hitter,"

AZ, did you like use mind control on Acta?

I guess Milledge's .143 ST average was the clincher...

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #35: March 31, 2009, 09:56:53 PM »
Milledge's comments about being agressive and not looking to work the count or draw walks is a major concern. If Guzman is his model as a leadoff hitter, the top of the order is going to be an adventure. Manny knows better than this. He knows what is important. In his first press conference he declared he was big believer in getting on base. What the hell happened? Manny should hall Milledge into the back room and smack him for his latest comments.

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #36: April 01, 2009, 02:12:10 AM »
:rofl:
In all seriousness, I do wonder if Randy Knorr is on the fast-track to become Acta's replacement if the F.O. is dissatisfied with his work this year.

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #37: April 01, 2009, 02:12:42 AM »
"bonafide lead-off hitter,"

AZ, did you like use mind control on Acta?

I guess Milledge's .143 ST average was the clincher...
:rofl: Post of the week, and it's only the middle of the week.

Offline blue911

« Reply #38: April 01, 2009, 07:49:24 AM »
In all seriousness, I do wonder if Randy Knorr is on the fast-track to become Acta's replacement if the F.O. is dissatisfied with his work this year.

Pat Listach I would think is the heir apparent.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #39: April 01, 2009, 08:43:41 AM »
Manny should hall Milledge into the back room and smack him for his latest comments.

Do I get points for finding a word misusage by the esteemed shoeshineboy - who never, EVER makes a mistake?

:icon_mrgreen:

Offline blue911

« Reply #40: April 01, 2009, 08:49:59 AM »
Do I get points for finding a word misusage by the esteemed shoeshineboy - who never, EVER makes a mistake?

No but you do get the wear Tom's pocket protector for a week.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #41: April 01, 2009, 08:59:12 AM »
No but you do get the wear Tom's pocket protector for a week.

I imagine I'd have to pry it from his cold, dead hands.

Offline blue911

« Reply #42: April 01, 2009, 09:09:12 AM »
I imagine I'd have to pry it from his cold, dead hands.

Just don't go bragging about it because all kind of folks will want to be prying things from his cold,dead hands.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #43: April 01, 2009, 09:20:05 AM »
Pat Listach I would think is the heir apparent.
So, we're not expecting Manny to do well and stick around a while like a Bobby Cox?  If we're grooming someone to take over for Manny that means he either does brilliantly and bolts for "greener pastures", I doubt they'd go with a first time ML manager.  But if he flames out and fired in which case they'd probably clean house. 

Offline shoeshineboy

« Reply #44: April 01, 2009, 09:22:41 AM »

LOL. I had a sense there was something wrong there. And you'd think I wouldn't be thinking about the Hall at this point in either Milledge or Acta's carreers.

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.
« Reply #45: April 01, 2009, 10:09:22 AM »
Well, it's a long haul down that hall.....

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #46: April 01, 2009, 10:24:41 AM »
LOL. I had a sense there was something wrong there. And you'd think I wouldn't be thinking about the Hall at this point in either Milledge or Acta's carreers.

Didn't you blame your last glaring error on booze?  :glug:

Offline shoeshineboy

« Reply #47: April 01, 2009, 11:16:32 AM »

Yes.

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #48: April 01, 2009, 11:19:02 AM »
Is there something wrong with that? :D :glug:

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #49: April 01, 2009, 11:20:14 AM »
Is there something wrong with that? :D :glug:

No, it was just a particularly funny post by SSB. More of a hat tip.