Author Topic: Zimm getting screwed  (Read 5615 times)

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
Re: Zimm getting short-changed
« Reply #25: May 27, 2009, 02:30:59 AM »
It kind of sucks when your team sucks and then to get a hope of glory for your players, they get denied because your team sucks.

Bill Hall? Chris Duncan? Fan Base Voting > Actual Players

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #26: May 27, 2009, 05:59:00 AM »
I wish they would get rid of fan voting. It's bull and this is a crime.

« Reply #27: May 27, 2009, 08:37:27 AM »
Oh come on.... is this really a big surprise?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #28: May 27, 2009, 08:39:55 AM »
The game lets fans see they guys they want to; the fact that Zimmerman is in 4th just means that we have no fans.

I prefer this to having self appointed experts (writers)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #29: May 27, 2009, 09:00:53 AM »
It kind of sucks when your team sucks and then to get a hope of glory for your players, they get denied because your team sucks.

Bill Hall? Chris Duncan? Fan Base Voting > Actual Players

It's that AL/NL Central bias from Fox and ESPN.  How many times can you see Cards and Cubs or Cubs Milwaukee?  I've seen the sausage races so many times, I'm imagining I see something like that when I go to Nat Park. 

What they need are more games involving AL and NL East teams, plus the Dodgers and Giants so Morgan and Miller do not have to travel far.

Offline Cinqo de Mayo

« Reply #30: May 27, 2009, 09:02:38 AM »
WHAT DOES RYAN HAVE TO DO TO GET THE RESPECT AND RECOGNITION HE DESERVES?!
Change teams.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #31: May 27, 2009, 09:03:13 AM »
Again, I don't give a crap about the ASG.  Let our guys rest instead.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #32: May 27, 2009, 09:16:07 AM »
Change teams.
Or have this one start winning.  He's actually been getting a lot of respect from the networks the past few weeks.  If that continues, he'll start getting wider respect

Offline uncleteddy

« Reply #33: May 27, 2009, 09:34:01 AM »
It's not about league respect. It's that the majority of people in DC don't even give a rat's ass.

When's the last time you saw ushers hand out ballots at a game besides in the rich seats?  When's the last time you even saw an All-Star display?  When's the last time you saw the team run a promo either at the game or on TV about voting?  Where's the team's PR staff putting on a push?

It's not ESPN's fault.  Milwaukee's players aren't near the top at every position because ESPN is pimping them.  Not everything's a conspiracy, guys.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #34: May 27, 2009, 10:17:21 AM »
I don't think it's quite the fault of people from DC - although there are many here with strong alliegences to other areas.

It may be that the Nationals don't register with fans in other areas due to our record.  So the number of DC fans voting for players on other teams far outweighs the number of fans from other areas voting for players on the Nationals.

It's not about league respect. It's that the majority of people in DC don't even give a rat's ass.

When's the last time you saw ushers hand out ballots at a game besides in the rich seats?  When's the last time you even saw an All-Star display?  When's the last time you saw the team run a promo either at the game or on TV about voting?  Where's the team's PR staff putting on a push?

It's not ESPN's fault.  Milwaukee's players aren't near the top at every position because ESPN is pimping them.  Not everything's a conspiracy, guys.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #35: May 27, 2009, 10:20:30 AM »
I don't think it's quite the fault of people from DC - although there are many here with strong alliegences to other areas.

It may be that the Nationals don't register with fans in other areas due to our record.  So the number of DC fans voting for players on other teams far outweighs the number of fans from other areas voting for players on the Nationals.

the ratings would suggest the nationals don't register here either

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #36: May 27, 2009, 10:22:54 AM »

But you don't see the Nats being proactive about promoting their players, which is what others have been trying to point out, I think.  There are certainly teams that are better at it than others.  The Cubs, Yanks and Sox don't need to do it.  But teams like Milwaukee and St. Louis do a great job of promoting their players and "mobilizing" their fanbase, so to speak.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #37: May 27, 2009, 10:24:11 AM »

What he said.

Usher's hand out ballots?  I've gotten it a few times.
AllStar Display - All the time on the concourses of the upper and lower levels
Saw the team run a promo - Online its one of the first screens.  I think I've seen it on the scoreboard a few times.  UH, NEXT T-shirt Tuesday is a Vote Nats T-shirt

I admit the PR department could do more but its not as if it isn't doing anything at all

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #38: May 27, 2009, 10:29:06 AM »
I wish they would get rid of fan voting. It's bull and this is a crime.

They actually did after a ballot-box-stuffing scandal in the late 1950's in which Cincinnati Reds fans got seven of their (losing) team's players voted in as starters - the league actually had to name other players (I think they were Hank Aaron and Willie Mays) to two of the spots, and fan voting was taken away and not restored till 1969.

Offline RL04

« Reply #39: May 27, 2009, 12:22:11 PM »
Milledge is on the ballot!       :rofl:

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #40: May 27, 2009, 12:23:28 PM »
But thankfully not in the Top 15.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #41: May 27, 2009, 12:28:14 PM »
Colin Cowherd was again pushing the tired argument that it's the All STAR game and not the All Talent Game. Lame.

Offline uncleteddy

« Reply #42: May 27, 2009, 12:35:08 PM »
What he said.

Usher's hand out ballots?  I've gotten it a few times.
AllStar Display - All the time on the concourses of the upper and lower levels
Saw the team run a promo - Online its one of the first screens.  I think I've seen it on the scoreboard a few times.  UH, NEXT T-shirt Tuesday is a Vote Nats T-shirt

I admit the PR department could do more but its not as if it isn't doing anything at all

Handing out ballots: A few times?  Should be EVERY time. 
Displays: They're there, but they're hidden along the back wall, usually, and not really noticeable.
Online promo:  I guess there's something there, but there's one for every team. So that's not gaining anything.
T-Shirt: Great.  A few months late.  Too few fans get it.

Sure, they're doing things.  But like they often do, it seems like they're doing the bare minimum.

Of course, with the attendance/ratings/interest the way they are, even if they were pimping the players out, it wouldn't really make a dent.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #43: May 27, 2009, 12:39:03 PM »
Colin Cowherd was again pushing the tired argument that it's the All STAR game and not the All Talent Game. Lame.
That's what the VOTING is.  It's up to Manuel to get as many of the players having great seasons as he can.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #44: May 27, 2009, 12:41:47 PM »
That's what the VOTING is.  It's up to Manuel to get as many of the players having great seasons as he can.

That's what Colin said too. But how about 1 vote, per fan, per game attended or email address? What's with this 25x a day thing. Silliness.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #45: May 27, 2009, 12:43:31 PM »
Ok, then I agree with Colin.  I think those would be good restrictions. 

Offline Dave B

« Reply #46: May 27, 2009, 09:30:49 PM »
Handing out ballots: A few times?  Should be EVERY time. 
Displays: They're there, but they're hidden along the back wall, usually, and not really noticeable.
Online promo:  I guess there's something there, but there's one for every team. So that's not gaining anything.
T-Shirt: Great.  A few months late.  Too few fans get it.

Sure, they're doing things.  But like they often do, it seems like they're doing the bare minimum.

Of course, with the attendance/ratings/interest the way they are, even if they were pimping the players out, it wouldn't really make a dent.

you realize that only like 5000 nats fans people go to the games, right?  stan forgot to tell the philly fans to vote for zimmerman. just when I think he couldnt get anymore incompetent...

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #47: May 28, 2009, 03:29:46 PM »
Just out of curiosity, I averaged the numbers from the first half of the season for the ASG starters at 3B in the last decade:

R:  56
H:  99
2B:  21
HR:  19
RBI:  65
SB:  6
BB:  43
SO:  51
AVG:  .310
OBP:  .392
SLG:  .565

Zimmerman appears to be on pace to reach those numbers in nearly every category, but I don't know how much he is going to cool down before the ASG.  Obviously the numbers don't mean much, because Wright is leading the votes at 3B currently, but I thought it was worth a look.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #48: May 28, 2009, 09:30:30 PM »

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #49: May 28, 2009, 09:42:33 PM »
Wright is not a "far better" offensive player than RZ.

3 HRs in 171 ABs this season. impressive :clap: