Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Derek Norris, C  (Read 31186 times)

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
Re: Follow the Prospects: Derek Norris, C
« Reply #425: November 13, 2011, 09:10:04 PM »
And he's blocked

I don't know about starting catcher, but Flores isn't going to be a Nat (and be blocked by Ramos) for too much longer. If Norris could be the backup catcher he'll probably see the majors in the next couple years.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #426: November 13, 2011, 09:17:45 PM »
I don't know about starting catcher, but Flores isn't going to be a Nat (and be blocked by Ramos) for too much longer. If Norris could be the backup catcher he'll probably see the majors in the next couple years.

He has too much value to be a back-up.  It would be better to trade him because he's worth more in a trade as part of a package then he is being #2 to Ramos.

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #427: November 13, 2011, 09:21:17 PM »
He has too much value to be a back-up.  It would be better to trade him because he's worth more in a trade as part of a package then he is being #2 to Ramos.

It would probably be smarter to trade him, yeah. But either way I think he still sees the majors with the Nats at some point before he's gone. If he were to hit well in a September call-up or something it may add some value.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #428: November 14, 2011, 08:35:25 AM »
Not to be too cynical, but I could see a year (2012) in AAA (or starting this year in Harrisburg), which will be Ramos's 2d year full time in the majors.  Maybe a call up, maybe not, in September because he's on the 40 man roster.  Then another year (2013) in AAA, which will be Ramos's 3d in the majors and last pre-arb.  Then Norris up as a backup the next year (2014), making MLB minimum, as Ramos starts getting expensive.  Sometime in Ramos's 2d year of arb (2015), with one more round before free agency, and Norris making MLB minimum, you then make the decision.

I could easily see this play out, but I do think the more likely course is Norris is traded before 2015.

Offline Nats113437

« Reply #429: November 14, 2011, 03:43:54 PM »
Norris hasn't played since Friday.  He could be injured, but he could also have been pulled if he's close to being traded.  I remember last season when the Greinke talks were happening, Eury Perez was pulled from Winter ball, and then was back in the lineup after the trade fell through.

Is this a coincidence, or are the Nats about to deal for someone like Gio Gonzalez?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #430: November 14, 2011, 03:49:25 PM »
Norris hasn't played since Friday.  He could be injured, but he could also have been pulled if he's close to being traded.  I remember last season when the Greinke talks were happening, Eury Perez was pulled from Winter ball, and then was back in the lineup after the trade fell through.

Is this a coincidence, or are the Nats about to deal for someone like Gio Gonzalez?

They have three catchers... and they don't play on Sunday.

Something tells me he's fine.

Offline Nats113437

« Reply #431: November 14, 2011, 04:10:38 PM »
You may be right, but I don't think he's missed two games in a row before this, has he? 

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #432: November 14, 2011, 04:56:00 PM »
You may be right, but I don't think he's missed two games in a row before this, has he? 
He usually DHs and catches every third game according to what I have noticed.   

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #433: November 18, 2011, 12:35:13 PM »
Video on Norris in the AFL.

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=19996153&topic_id=7617858&c_id=was

Shows a couple base hits, a HR and him throwing out a runner at second.