Author Topic: The American Soccer thread  (Read 1654 times)

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
The American Soccer thread
« Topic Start: July 27, 2010, 10:54:41 PM »
someone please explain to me the exact schedule for American Soccer.

I am watching something called the CONCACAF Champions League. it has the LA Galaxy from MLS in it (they are losing to Puerto Rico). I don't know if this is live or tape delayed.

so umm..when does MLS start again?

what is this CONCACAF stuff? and the Champions league? how long is that? and what other stuff is there that American Teams will be involved in?

wtf is going on????? :panic:

Offline Potomac Cannons

CCL is the North American version of the European Champions League.  This is only the 3rd year so the history clearly isn't there.  MLS has the all-star timewaster tomorrow and league games again this weekend.

Offline JMW IV

CCL is the North American version of the European Champions League.  This is only the 3rd year so the history clearly isn't there.  MLS has the all-star timewaster tomorrow and league games again this weekend.

so this CONCACAF is the equivalent of UEFA? only for North, Central, South America?

also, the Champions League...is a tournament/playoff? or an actual league?

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
CONCACAF stands for the "Confederation of North, Central American and Caribbean Association Football", and the CONCACAF Champions League is an elimination-format tournament that includes the best pro teams in each member country.  It is essentially the regional equivalent of the (much more famous) UEFA Champions League in Europe, which is generally won by top-flight teams like AC and Inter Milan, Man U, Barcelona, etc.  LA Galaxy is in the CONCACAF tournie this year by virtue of having had the best record in MLS last year, even though they ultimately lost MLS Cup to Real Salt Lake (who are also playing in Champions League).  MLS is one of the only soccer leagues to use a playoff format...most just award championships to the team with the best record (kind of like baseball pennants back in the old days).

DC United has been in the CONCACAF Champions League like 10 times (4 MLS Cups, several "Supporters Shields" for the best regular season record in MLS, plus a few US Open Cups [another tournie open to US pro teams of all levels, analagous to the FA Cup in England]).  Meanwhile, MLS league play proceeds apace.  The stronger teams that get invited to one or more of these tourneys on top of regular league play can get worn down really fast.  At any rate, the winner of the CONCACAF Champions League will ultimately play in the club World Cup against the winners of the other regional confederation tournaments, so it is pretty prestigious.

Clear as mud?  

• babble on
Just North/Central America & Caribbean...South America has its own regional body (CONMEBOL).

so this CONCACAF is the equivalent of UEFA? only for North, Central, South America?

also, the Champions League...is a tournament/playoff? or an actual league?

Offline JMW IV

i got it.

LA is getting its ass whooped. Puerto Rico Islanders just scored again, 3-0.

switching to the San Francisco game.

• babble on
Damn, good for PR.  The storms on Sunday knocked my dish all out of whack, so I'll just have to read about that one.

Offline JMW IV

MLS Best Regular Season Record = Supporter's Shield = automatic berth in Champions League.

winning MLS Playoffs = MLS Champions = Automatic berth in Champions League.

right? do any other American Teams make the Champions League?

I swear, these guys play a crap-ton of games. between all the Friendlys (Exhibition/Scrimmage, right?), Champions League, Open Cups, and League(Club?) Games

when is the offseason lol.

Offline JMW IV

Donovan just got victimized by a damn good save.

Offline Potomac Cannons

Open Cup Champion gets a birth and one other US club but I'm too lazy to look up who.

Offline JMW IV

wow PR scored again. 4-0 not.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Just North/Central America & Caribbean...South America has its own regional body (CONMEBOL).

Man, some of those Caribbean teams have guts - they lose like 32-0 to the US.

Offline JMW IV

Man, some of those Caribbean teams have guts - they lose like 32-0 to the US.

PR just beat the crap out of MLS' best team. and LA was playing at full strength from what I heard.

embarrassment rings out all over Twitter right now.

Offline JMW IV

forgot the mention that the game was in LA, and the PR Islanders are a 2nd division team. and are in last place in their conference.

Offline JMW IV

from what I am reading on twitter, us soccer fans are embarassed and pissed off at LA. and the consensus is that MLS has its priorities screwed up. they take the Friendlies against Europe way more seriously than they do the Champions League and such.

dunno how accurate that is.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
PR just beat the crap out of MLS' best team. and LA was playing at full strength from what I heard.

embarrassment rings out all over Twitter right now.

Well Puerto Rico is a beautiful place with some really cool people so I salute them.

But vs Cayman Islands, US wins 8-1.

http://www.rsssf.com/tablesu/usa-intres.html

There's some lopsided matches in there.

Offline PatsNats28

I'm joining JMW in his quest to learn about soccer :)

Problem is, the MLS kinda sucks, I'd rather watch the Premier League but it's not on.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.

Problem is, the MLS kinda sucks, I'd rather watch the Premier League but it's not on.
Me too.  IDK anything about it really.  It's confusing as hell.

• babble on
EPL starts in a month...MLS is the only summer league to speak of. 

Offline Dave B

MLS All Stars vs Manchester United on ESPN 2 now

• babble on
I wish my dish worked.  Is Donovan wearing a bag over his head?

MLS All Stars vs Manchester United on ESPN 2 now

Offline Dave B

I wish my dish worked.  Is Donovan wearing a bag over his head?

when they come to fix it, make sure you get the guy's name and phone number, then you dont have to go through directv to schedule you.  i havent had to use them yet via this method, but when i do i'm hoping they remember that i tipped them and they'll drop everything and come fix my stuff

Offline JMW IV

Mls caught an asswhupping. Not a good 24 hours for bruce arena. 9 goals in 24 hrs allowed by his teams.

Offline JMW IV

Anyone happen to know a site that will stream the dc united game tonight?

Offline JMW IV

Troy Perkins is not a good goalkeeper.