Author Topic: Chuck Hinton dies  (Read 1673 times)

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Chuck Hinton dies
« Topic Start: January 30, 2013, 11:39:00 AM »
Just heard from CALSGR8 that Chuck Hinton has died.

Who?

Hinton was the first star of the expansion Senators, a guy who came from another teams minor league organization (Baltimore?) to hit about .314 with about 15 home runs. I remember him as an elegant fielder with good speed, and the first .300 hitter in Washington since Roy Sievers in 1957. Maybe the last .300 hitter until the current Nats. Often attended Nats Fest, which was the name for the annual gathering of the Washington Baseball Historical Society (WBHS), which worked to keep the memories of baseball alive during the long road trip the Nats took after the 1971 season. CALS says that of all the players who returned for Nats Fest, probably only Frank Howard was as warm and friendly.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
Re: Chuck Hinton dies
« Reply #1: January 30, 2013, 11:45:39 AM »
One of the first Nats players I ever saw (including my first-ever Senators match, exactly 50 years ago this August)...will be missed.

Obituary from Post (died this past Sunday): http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/chuck-hinton-last-washington-senator-to-hit-300-dies-at-78/2013/01/29/b19633b6-6a4d-11e2-af53-7b2b2a7510a8_story.html?wprss=rss_obituaries

Offline 69 Senators

« Reply #2: January 30, 2013, 11:59:40 AM »
Here is a great piece about Chuck Hinton from Jim Hartley.

Chuck Hinton (1934-2013): An Appreciation
http://dcbaseballhistory.com/2013/01/chuck-hinton-1934-2013-an-appreciation/

Offline captkirk42

• Curly W Cards
« Reply #3: January 30, 2013, 12:53:02 PM »
:(

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #4: January 30, 2013, 01:44:02 PM »
When I first glanced at the title, I thought it said "Clinton."

I don't know baseball history like some of you.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #5: January 30, 2013, 03:20:52 PM »
The expansion Senators made a number of very stupid trades  -- you may recall: essentially the whole team for 22 game loser and future-con Denny McLean; Dick Donovan for Jim Piersall; Steve Hamilton for Jim Coates -- but among the dumbest was Hinton for some Cleveland pitcher who never amounted to anything, I think in 1964. Nevertheless Hinton returned to DC after his MLB carreer and took up coaching. He was the Howard coach for many years. Sadly, Howard dropped baseball a few years ago. 

Hinton was a fine DC citizen.  And he was really one of only two true heroes in the entire 12-year expansion Senator history.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #6: January 30, 2013, 03:25:37 PM »
Newspaper article showed that Hinton was traded for Woody Held and Bob Chance   Article has all the other trades on that day as well.    As an outsider (not a Senator's fan at that time), how could a team trade someone with Hinton's numbers for these two characters?    Also looks like some fella named Howard came to town that day from the Dodgers.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1955&dat=19641216&id=UYgtAAAAIBAJ&sjid=dpwFAAAAIBAJ&pg=4512,1407618

Offline Capital Punisher

« Reply #7: January 30, 2013, 03:55:24 PM »
My Dad took me to many baseball clinics when I was a kid, and it seemed like Chuck Hinton was at ever one.  He was great.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #8: January 30, 2013, 04:01:04 PM »
Well, to their credit, they got Frank Howard, Pete Richert, Phil Ortega, Ken McMullen, Dick Nen for Claude Osteen and John Kennedy.  A monster trade for the Senators.  Howard may be the only one many of you recall, but Richert and Ortega were both quality pitchers and McMullen was a top class third baseman. (Nen was useless.)  Osteen was probably about the equal of Pete Richert.  (Kennedy was useless.)   

Offline 114D

« Reply #9: January 30, 2013, 04:36:11 PM »
Connie Marrero is still going strong at 101 though

Offline blue911

« Reply #10: January 30, 2013, 05:04:05 PM »
Well, to their credit, they got Frank Howard, Pete Richert, Phil Ortega, Ken McMullen, Dick Nen for Claude Osteen and John Kennedy.  A monster trade for the Senators.  Howard may be the only one many of you recall, but Richert and Ortega were both quality pitchers and McMullen was a top class third baseman. (Nen was useless.)  Osteen was probably about the equal of Pete Richert.  (Kennedy was useless.)

I think your memory of Richert and Osteen is a little off

Offline Ray D

« Reply #11: January 30, 2013, 05:12:01 PM »
I think your memory of Richert and Osteen is a little off

I can't tell from that which one you are saying was better.  I remember Osteen as the ace of the Senators staff for a couple years, then with the Dodgers he was good but got lost among Koufax and Drysdale, until they left, and then had several  good years. Richert was the ace of the Senator staff for a couple years, but then they traded him to the orioles where he too had a number of good years.

Offline BH34Natural

« Reply #12: January 30, 2013, 05:37:42 PM »
Ron Jeremy died today too.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #13: January 30, 2013, 05:46:43 PM »

Offline mitlen

« Reply #14: January 30, 2013, 05:47:15 PM »
Linty nails it !

Offline blue911

« Reply #15: January 30, 2013, 05:52:32 PM »
I can't tell from that which one you are saying was better.  I remember Osteen as the ace of the Senators staff for a couple years, then with the Dodgers he was good but got lost among Koufax and Drysdale, until they left, and then had several  good years. Richert was the ace of the Senator staff for a couple years, but then they traded him to the orioles where he too had a number of good years.

I don't think getting lost behind Koufax and Drysdale is all that damning. It's like saying Glavine was lost behind Maddux and Smoltz.

Offline welch

« Reply #16: January 30, 2013, 06:43:49 PM »

I remember Osteen as a fine pitcher who completed that great Dodger rotation: Koufax, Drysdale, and Osteen. Pete Richert was the talented pitcher who never quite got it together, but was sure to be a 20 game winner next year. The Nats traded Richert to Baltimore for Mike Epstein, the big 1B who hit about 30 homers each year that Frank Howard hit 40 or 45. (from memory). Ortega was an "innings eater" before anyone had thought up the phrase.

Net of the Osteen trade: Frank Howard, Ken McMullen, Mike Epstein, LF, 3B, 1B, power hitters all, plus McMullen was a splendid fielder.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #17: January 31, 2013, 04:05:54 PM »
I don't think getting lost behind Koufax and Drysdale is all that damning.
no, my point was that Osteen was way under the radar and way under-appreciated.

Offline RL04

« Reply #18: February 04, 2013, 03:38:40 PM »
Chuck Hinton has died.

Who?

A player who never played for the Expos/Nationals franchise.

Offline welch

« Reply #19: February 04, 2013, 08:27:18 PM »

A player who never played for the Expos/Nationals franchise.

So?

Neither did Walter Johnson, Joe Judge, Bucky Harris, Goose Goslin, or Sam Rice. Same for Roy Sievers, Bob Allison, Jim Lemon, and Harmon Killebrew. Same for Frank Howard, and Josh Gibson, although the Stadium has a statue of Johnson, Howard, and Gibson at the CF entrance.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #20: February 04, 2013, 08:31:26 PM »
So?

Neither did Walter Johnson, Joe Judge, Bucky Harris, Goose Goslin, or Sam Rice. Same for Roy Sievers, Bob Allison, Jim Lemon, and Harmon Killebrew. Same for Frank Howard, and Josh Gibson, although the Stadium has a statue of Johnson, Howard, and Gibson at the CF entrance.

Lots of 'em, including Chuck Hinton, and our guys shared a "clubhouse"   ...  RFK/DC Stadium.    Therefore, the court rules that this thread falls within the purview of the Clubhouse sub section.

Offline captkirk42

• Curly W Cards
« Reply #21: February 05, 2013, 01:07:27 PM »
Ron Jeremy died today too.

Not dead HOSPITALIZED Heart aneurizm. Unless Cedars-Siani treats him like some past Russian Prime Ministers he will survive. So for now Ron Jeremy is "on the roof".

Offline captkirk42

• Curly W Cards
« Reply #22: February 05, 2013, 01:17:00 PM »
Many Nationals fans are a rare breed of "DC Baseball" fan, meaning all the Senators and even some of the Homestead Grays and some of those other odds and ends that are part of DC Baseball History are still loved and admired, even if they are technically not with the "franchise".

Yes it is odd, but it just plain is. I don't think there is another case like it, even in Baltimore where the first "Orioles" team moved to New York to eventually  become some Damn Yankees or something are not looked upon fondly in B'More like the Senators are in DC. Maybe it has something to do with spending 33 years with NO HOMETEAM.

Offline RL04

« Reply #23: February 05, 2013, 03:09:35 PM »
Many Nationals fans are a rare breed of "DC Baseball" fan, meaning all the Senators and even some of the Homestead Grays and some of those other odds and ends that are part of DC Baseball History are still loved and admired, even if they are technically not with the "franchise".

Understood.

Yes it is odd, but it just plain is. I don't think there is another case like it,

Yes, it is odd and rare.   It exisits here only because the last Senators team is still within the memory of some.

I can almost guarantee that no one on the Mets fan forum talks about former Brooklyn Dodgers players.    No one on the Red Sox forum talks about former Boston Braves players.  Etc.  I also agree that not having a team here for a long time enters into it too.

Also, understand.  I have nothing against “DC baseball” fans.   But the Senators have nothing to do with this team.  Just put it in another forum section.  That's all I'm saying.

It’s unfortunate that it goes on here.   But it will end eventually.   My son and other future WNFF posters will have no no idea who Chuck Hinton was.

Offline welch

« Reply #24: February 05, 2013, 04:20:45 PM »
Understood.

Yes, it is odd and rare.   It exisits here only because the last Senators team is still within the memory of some.

I can almost guarantee that no one on the Mets fan forum talks about former Brooklyn Dodgers players.    No one on the Red Sox forum talks about former Boston Braves players.  Etc.  I also agree that not having a team here for a long time enters into it too.

Also, understand.  I have nothing against “DC baseball” fans.   But the Senators have nothing to do with this team.  Just put it in another forum section.  That's all I'm saying.

It’s unfortunate that it goes on here.   But it will end eventually.   My son and other future WNFF posters will have no no idea who Chuck Hinton was.

While Boston Braves are far gone, and there are not many St Louis Browns fans, there are plenty of Dodger and Giant fans. Go to a game and you'll see the old-time hats. Walk into New Shea and you'll see that the externals were modeled on Ebbetts Field. Yankees have tradition; Mets not so much.

Over on the best Redskin fan board, we routinely compare Griffin to Sammy Baugh and Sonny Jurgensen. People took notice when Jack Pardee went into a hospice a few months ago. I remember photos of Baugh and other leather-helmet era Redskins in the Queenstown barbershop, but never saw a player earlier than Choo Choo Justice. Up the B/W Parkway, I'll bet that Baltimore still thinks of Unitas and Marchetti and Moore as their own...not as part of a corporation in Indianapolis.

The town is attached to the players on the team. No kids I grew up with, and not many of our fathers, had seen Walter Johnson pitch, but everybody knew the stories. Everybody knew the story of the  pebble and the ball that hopped over Freddie Linstrom's head to win the '24 Series.