4 (17.4%)
Rays
0 (0%)
Twins
2 (8.7%)
Rangers
6 (26.1%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: 2010 MLB Playoffs Discussion & Predictions  (Read 12265 times)

Offline PC

Anybody but Philadelphia.  My hatred for the Yankees is just principle but it's nowhere near my hatred for the Phillies.  >:(

Offline Coladar

I'm still wishing it were the start of the month. Rockies keep up their run and don't fall apart. Braves win NL East, Reds Central, Giants West and Rockies wild card. Unfortunately the Braves and Rockies have fallen apart and now we have Philthies as NL East champs AND best record when they looked almost out of it at the end of August. God.

As it stands now, I'm rooting for the Braves to go all the way simply because Cox deserves no less. Take away that and it's Giants all the way with their pitching. I'd like to see a Braves/Giants NLCS at the very least.

AL, I really don't care. I don't like any of the teams, heck, I don't like any AL teams at all due to the DH. Of all, I'll go with the Rays. We think we have it bad for fans? They drew under 15,000 in TB tonight with a chance to clinch a playoff spot with a win. TB and Twins ALCS is my ideal scenario. Braves and Rays in WS, with Braves taking it all the way. If it's Giants Rays, I'll go with the Rays. What that organization has done is simply phenomenal, in any division. In the AL East? It's insane. Just please lord don't let the Phillies go anywhere. I don't think I could take anymore of their vomiting, tasered ass fans gloating. Let them get swept in the NLDS, and the final game be at home. 

Offline houston-nat

They let the best pitcher in baseball go, I'm just saying that's a huge asterisk

Not a dumb move. Maybe he was the best then, but now he's like the 10th-15th best pitcher in baseball. This year he wasn't even top 5 NL East (Halladay, Johnson, Hudson, Oswalt, Hamels, Strasburg*, even R.A. Dickey had better ERA, WAR, and ERA+ though as a knuckleballer he didn't get Ks).

Online HalfSmokes

Not a dumb move. Maybe he was the best then, but now he's like the 10th-15th best pitcher in baseball. This year he wasn't even top 5 NL East (Halladay, Johnson, Hudson, Oswalt, Hamels, Strasburg*, even R.A. Dickey had better ERA, WAR, and ERA+ though as a knuckleballer he didn't get Ks).

If you were starting from scratch next year, would you take Johan or Dickey? I think the same goes for most of that list, he's not the best anymore, but he's up there year after year. It may have been the right move, but the question was whether or not most teams resign their own, I was providing a counter example. I could have used the Indians with CC and Lee or the Rangers with Teixeira.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
You wonder where the Twins would be had they taken the offer of Lester, Crisp, Masterson, and Kalish for Santana, instead of holding out for Ellsbury instead of Crisp and Kalish.  That was the dumb move.

Online HalfSmokes

You wonder where the Twins would be had they taken the offer of Lester, Crisp, Masterson, and Kalish for Santana, instead of holding out for Ellsbury instead of Crisp and Kalish.  That was the dumb move.

If their track record wasn't so good elsewhere, it would be Minaya level dumb.

Offline 2IPAs

• Barbie luvs the Nationals!
Definitely adopting the Twins for the duration because of Capps.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
If you were starting from scratch next year, would you take Johan or Dickey? I think the same goes for most of that list, he's not the best anymore, but he's up there year after year. It may have been the right move, but the question was whether or not most teams resign their own, I was providing a counter example. I could have used the Indians with CC and Lee or the Rangers with Teixeira.
Indians might have been a better example, but we were talking about the Twins. Indians are a bit weird though. They had terrific attendance when the Jake opened, and a high budget. Then Shapiro did the right thing and brokeup the 2002 team.  That led to some pretty good teams from 2005 on, but they ended up just a little short and the fans never came back. That crimped the cash flow enough to push them to deal the talent they had just assembled, and it looks like those latest deals were unsuccessful except for Carlos Santana and maybe Chris Perez for the utility guy (was it Mark DeRosa?).  I view Cleveland as a market limited team now due to the midwestern economy, so I still think that my basic point is true: except for market limited teams, teams that build internally have payrolls expand naturally when players hit arb years and they are retained.   Philly and Twins are great examples of that (to get back to playoff teams).  The corollary probably is that if the core misses the playoffs, then it is dealt. Maybe that explains the Indians.

You wonder if Ryan Zimmerman's career will parallel Carl Crawford's?  Crawford was re-signed once after his first two years, with the team buying out his arb years and picking up options on his first two FA years to cover 2009 and 2010.  When the last option expired, he was one of the best players in baseball and essentially priced himself out of the team's budget.  Now it may seem like a long shot that the Nats will be one of the best teams in baseball for 2011-13, the last three years of Zimmerman's contract, as the Rays were with Crawford, but Zimmerman will be hitting the market after a recovery (we can hope) and, if you buy WAR, is due for maybe a bigger contract.  Do you keep Zimmerman for what you offered Tex or more, or do you do what Texas did with Tex, and pull in an Andrus, a Feliz, and Harrison, and a couple of other pieces?

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Anybody but Philadelphia.  My hatred for the Yankees is just principle but it's nowhere near my hatred for the Phillies.  >:(

this.  I rooted for Philly last year, I won't make that same mistake this year if they meet again.

Online HalfSmokes

You wonder if Ryan Zimmerman's career will parallel Carl Crawford's?  Crawford was re-signed once after his first two years, with the team buying out his arb years and picking up options on his first two FA years to cover 2009 and 2010.  When the last option expired, he was one of the best players in baseball and essentially priced himself out of the team's budget.  Now it may seem like a long shot that the Nats will be one of the best teams in baseball for 2011-13, the last three years of Zimmerman's contract, as the Rays were with Crawford, but Zimmerman will be hitting the market after a recovery (we can hope) and, if you buy WAR, is due for maybe a bigger contract.  Do you keep Zimmerman for what you offered Tex or more, or do you do what Texas did with Tex, and pull in an Andrus, a Feliz, and Harrison, and a couple of other pieces?

hopefully not. Crawford is on a good team now, but one that looks to have a cap on how much revenue it can legitimately expect to bring in. The nats shouldn't be in that position, they have a new metro accessible park in a very wealthy region. Their tv deal isn't the best, but it is also far from the worst.

Offline DPMOmaha

I think it depends on where the franchise is after 2012.  I think they could be pretty good and he should be right in the middle of his prime.  Ryan Zimmerman should be to the Nats what Chipper Jones is/was to the Braves.  Yes, they should keep him here, whatever the cost.  I'm not sure the value of Crawford to Tampa is what Zimmerman is to DC.  He's a much more important piece to what the Nats want to do than what the Rays want to do.  Plus they think they've got a guy they think can largely step in and fill the shoes of Crawford.  We don't have that any where in the system.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Zimmerman has the third highest WAR in all of baseball, behind only Josh Hamilton and Joey Votto, and slightly ahead of Albert Pujols.  Let's just pretend for a moment that everyone accepts WAR as valid - there is no way this team can afford Ryan Zimmerman again.

Then again I guess we'll see how he looks next year without Dunn batting behind him or providing a huge target at first.  Maybe that's part of the long term strategy for re-signing him :?

Online HalfSmokes

Zimmerman has the third highest WAR in all of baseball, behind only Josh Hamilton and Joey Votto, and slightly ahead of Albert Pujols.  Let's just pretend for a moment that everyone accepts WAR as valid - there is no way this team can afford Ryan Zimmerman again.

the like to claim they offered Teixeira ~$160million, crying poverty when Zimmerman dons the pinstripes may look bad

Offline The Chief

the like to claim they offered Teixeira ~$160million, crying poverty when Zimmerman dons the pinstripes may look bad

If he keeps playing like he did this year, Zimmerman is worth way more than Teixeira.  3B >>>>> 1B.  That is of course in an economy-neutral comparison.  Zimmerman ultimately may not get as much money as Tex did.  But still, even that argument only helps a fiscally-minded team save face, especially if they pile on a few more years of subterranean records and horrid attendance.

Online HalfSmokes

Teix hit the prefect storm with the yankees missing the playoffs the prior year and having a gaping hole at first

Offline The Chief

Teix hit the prefect storm with the yankees missing the playoffs the prior year and having a gaping hole at first

Okay...  then we're largely in agreement?

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday

The same was said about Pujols. He got signed. I'm not worried.

Online HalfSmokes

pretty much, I think the Nats will make a run and maybe even get him, but $200 million wouldn't shock me. He'll be young and ARod can't play third forever

Offline The Chief

St Louis missed the playoffs by 3 games in 2003.  I am extremely skeptical that we will be in that position in time to convince Zimmerman, and I don't think Zimmerman's attachment to DC is that strong.  I think it's going to take deep in the NLCS - minimum - in '13 and a whole lotta money to keep RZ here.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Yes, but nothing has been done to extend him after next year.  Will St. L want to go 7 years, $210 MM? I'm not sure the Red Sox, Cubs, CWS, or Mets (or LAD if sold) would flinch at that.

pretty much, I think the Nats will make a run and maybe even get him, but $200 million wouldn't shock me. He'll be young and ARod can't play third forever
Yes, but the NYY can owe A-Rod forever - to 2017. maybe he DHs after Jorge retires.

Offline imref

St Louis missed the playoffs by 3 games in 2003.  I am extremely skeptical that we will be in that position in time to convince Zimmerman, and I don't think Zimmerman's attachment to DC is that strong.  I think it's going to take deep in the NLCS - minimum - in '13 and a whole lotta money to keep RZ here.

Zimm is from Virginia and went to UVA, his parents still live in Sandbridge and he does a lot with causes to support his mom, so his ties to the area are strong.  He's also the face of the franchise here.

I agree it will take a lot to keep him, but I don't see him in a hurry to go anywhere else.  Besides, he gets a great deal on a Mercedes in Arlington.

Offline The Chief

Besides, he gets a great deal on a Mercedes in Arlington.

:rofl:

Didgeridoos

Offline DPMOmaha

Besides, he gets a great deal on a Mercedes in Arlington.
If he continues to play at the level he's been at, he'll get benes like that wherever he goes.

Online HalfSmokes

If he continues to play at the level he's been at, he'll get benes like that wherever he goes.

it's actually a really annoying local radio ad where Zimm tells you to buy a car there because they gave him a good deal

Offline imref

it's actually a really annoying local radio ad where Zimm tells you to buy a car there because they gave him a good deal

but he does say that you won't get as good a deal as he got.