Author Topic: ROAD TRIPS 2012  (Read 1650 times)

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
ROAD TRIPS 2012
« Topic Start: December 11, 2011, 12:23:33 PM »
Thought Id start a more General ROAD TRIP THREAD

So who else wants to see Os and NATS at Boston?  They are both there the same week!  Its the 100th Anniversary of FENWAY.

JCA, Where should one stay for cheap lodgings in Boston?  Im seriously planning this.

Offline DPMOmaha

Re: ROAD TRIPS 2012
« Reply #1: December 11, 2011, 12:30:41 PM »
All-Star Game is only 3 hours away from me.  There's been discussion of going down for that and I entered the ticket lottery for the weekend.  Frankly, the Futures Game is more appealing to me than the ASG, but it would be cool go to go one while I've got a chance.  No Nats trips are likely for me this summer, dates to midwest teams don't matchup with favorable trip times.  Maybe the Cardinals to close out the season if the Nats are in the race, but otherwise, it's unlikely

Offline I can Throw

« Reply #2: December 11, 2011, 12:43:30 PM »
I'm hoping I can catch the Nats in Atlanta at least for two games, and maybe a road trip to Cincy or St Louis is the job thing works out for me.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #3: December 11, 2011, 05:53:46 PM »
I tried to get something going in September, and interest was tepid. But I'd definitely be down for seeing the Nats at Fenway if interest is suitable to get something going.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #4: December 11, 2011, 05:59:50 PM »
Since my spring training trip seems to be a no go, I'm leaning toward a trip to an away series.  The Braves series at the end of June is looking like the most promising.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #5: December 11, 2011, 06:20:47 PM »
This is the last year I'll ever be able to see the Nats in Texas, except for interleague play with DH :(

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #6: December 11, 2011, 08:22:37 PM »

So who else wants to see Os and NATS at Boston?  They are both there the same week!  Its the 100th Anniversary of FENWAY.

JCA, Where should one stay for cheap lodgings in Boston?  Im seriously planning this.

There are no cheap hotels in Boston proper.  There really isn't in downtown.   I don't have much in the way of advice.  Certainly nothing reasonable for longer than a weekend.  This is one of the more expensive markets for government travel.  The parking around Fenway is ridiculous, too.  You might have some luck going out a way on one of the T lines, but I think you want to be close to stuff.  I really can't advise much.  I don't stay in hotels.  There's a commuter rail station near Fenway (Yawkey Station?) and there is rail after the ball game.  You might  have luck in suburbs like Arlington or Quincy (Red Line), which would let you go into boston on the T.  Maybe some other areas, too.   Feel free to PM me or post here if you have some hotels or neighborhoods.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #7: December 12, 2011, 02:54:17 AM »
Thanks Jca.  I knew youd have some good input.  Is the T like our Metro?  That's a good idea to get a place near a station.  Hadn't thought of that.  Will do!

Yes i know this subject was brought up awhle ago.  Since the response was Tepid, that's why my friend and i are just planning this for ourselves.  I dont think there are enough people interested for a group rate.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #8: December 12, 2011, 12:39:54 PM »
If you stay out on the t, avoid the green line- it's misery

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #9: December 12, 2011, 12:41:19 PM »

You can PM me and I can tell you some other things to plan while you're there.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #10: December 12, 2011, 12:45:44 PM »
Thanks Jca.  I knew youd have some good input.  Is the T like our Metro?  That's a good idea to get a place near a station.  Hadn't thought of that.  Will do!

The "T" is like the Metro in that it's a train.  Other than that, Metro is superior in every way. 

I'd recommend staying in the south shore area.  Rates should be less expensive and the "T" goes all the way to Braintree so access is decent.  Plus the south shore is close to the Cape so you could make a real vacation out of it.  And if you do go to the Cape, let me know and I can hook you up with great eating establishments.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #11: December 12, 2011, 12:47:18 PM »
I'd recommend staying in the south shore area.
:poke: :stir: Be sure to watch this first:

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #12: December 12, 2011, 12:48:09 PM »
South Shore - not South Boston.

;)

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #13: December 12, 2011, 12:53:05 PM »
I know, I've just wanted to post that for a long time.   :lol:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14: December 12, 2011, 02:27:16 PM »
If you stay out on the t, avoid the green line- it's misery

of course, the Green line is the line by Fenway (Kenmore on the B, C, and D branches, Fenway on the D (Riverside), St Mary's on the C (Cleveland Circle), and ??? on the B (Boston College)).  Don't listen to half smokes on this one.  The Green line is LRVs that go through a subway then on the surface.  I grew up on the green line, take it still.  The whole system is a bit grimey.  Feel free to take your Dunkin Donuts coffee on board the T.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #15: December 12, 2011, 02:38:38 PM »
of course, the Green line is the line by Fenway (Kenmore on the B, C, and D branches, Fenway on the D (Riverside), St Mary's on the C (Cleveland Circle), and ??? on the B (Boston College)).  Don't listen to half smokes on this one.  The Green line is LRVs that go through a subway then on the surface.  I grew up on the green line, take it still.  The whole system is a bit grimey.  Feel free to take your Dunkin Donuts coffee on board the T.

South Shore  - - - - - > Drive to Braintree - - - - - > Take Red Line - - - - - > Transfer to Green Line - - - - - > Enjoy Nationals beating Red Sox

Perfect vacation!

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #16: December 12, 2011, 02:44:23 PM »

i commuted down commonwealth on that thing- i hate it with a passion, the only thing worse than waiting for it in the winter, was ball games in the summer when an extra helping of drunk sweaty BC and BU students would make it even more crammed, if you stay on the red line, then you're taking it out from park street and avoiding most of the students 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17: December 12, 2011, 02:54:52 PM »
i commuted down commonwealth on that thing- i hate it with a passion, the only thing worse than waiting for it in the winter, was ball games in the summer when an extra helping of drunk sweaty BC and BU students would make it even more crammed, if you stay on the red line, then you're taking it out from park street and avoiding most of the students 

It's called atmosphere.  But it surprises me there are drunken BC students :lmao:

Sure, I agree with  the Minty strategy Red to Green.   Another idea might be to check out if there's a B and B around Harvard.  That's a good spot by foot.

By the way, if you saw Borat, the B & B with the Jewish couple is not in Atlanta, it is in Newton (on the Riverside line). 

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #18: December 12, 2011, 02:58:35 PM »
South Shore  - - - - - > Drive to Braintree - - - - - > Take Red Line - - - - - > Transfer to Green Line - - - - - > Enjoy Nationals beating Red Sox

Perfect vacation!

Just did the projection that if Strasburg is the OD starter and stays on an every 5 game schedule, assuming no rain outs, he'll miss the Boston series and the following week would start the Sunday game of the Yankees series (hello, ESPN game of the week).  If he starts the 2nd game of the year so that he pitches the opener at Nats Park like some have speculated, he'd miss both series assuming the 5 game schedule, no rain outs, yada yada...  Somehow I don't see that happening.  Wouldn't be shocked if they manipulate it so he starts the Sunday Boston game for an ESPN appearance that week which would put him on schedule to start the Saturday game vs. the Yankees (hello, FOX).  To do that without having to make adjustments midseason, he'd have to be the 5th starter, which I don't see happening.  Just some speculative, gerrymandering fun for you this Monday afternoon.

Also, Stras starting Opening Day projects him to starting on the 4th of July...

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19: December 12, 2011, 05:20:33 PM »
Recall Davey had a chance to juggle Zimmermann's schedule around the ASG to give him a littel extra time off and stretch further into the season but he did not.  Davey really did not give Zimmermann any extra off time around days off and did not skip him.  I suspect he'll do the same with Strasburg.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #20: December 12, 2011, 05:21:34 PM »
Recall Davey had a chance to juggle Zimmermann's schedule around the ASG to give him a littel extra time off and stretch further into the season but he did not.  Davey really did not give Zimmermann any extra off time around days off and did not skip him.  I suspect he'll do the same with Strasburg.

I do too.  Just thought it was interesting to ponder some of the possibilities.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #21: December 12, 2011, 06:47:59 PM »

DJ has the authority to control JZ's schedule, historically Strasburg starts are determined by a higher authority.  Guaranteed that Stras starts the home opener which will allow him to start three games in the first home stand, beyond that his schedule will maximize home dates and in particular home dates that would otherwise not be big draws.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #22: December 12, 2011, 06:58:24 PM »
And probably extend his availability into September if he skips a start here and there...