Author Topic: RFK Dimensions are WRONG.  (Read 5217 times)

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
RFK Dimensions are WRONG.
« Reply #1: July 22, 2005, 01:45:22 AM »
Unless the Nats are gonna have 3 or four supermen in the lineup next season, the organization should seriously consider bringing the fences in 10 feet down the lines and leave them at 410 in center. The power alleys right up to center would be almost the same, but the shorter fences down the lines would at least give the hitters some peace of mind. If you go to the plate with the idea that you cant hit it out with one thunderous smash, you wont. With the fences in down the lines, they can be more relaxed at the plate.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #2: July 22, 2005, 09:16:38 AM »
The Post made a big story out of this, and it's interesting, no doubt.  However, what apparently seemed to happen is that they simply assembled the outfield wall panels such that the 380 foot gap markers were too close to straight away center.  They were moved back for last night's game.

Also interesting is that it is actually shorter to straight away center, not even 410'.

I would prefer to leave the fences alone.  The hitters will get used to it, and the pitchers are loving it.  It can really give us an advantage in attracting top flight free agent pitchers.

gosensgo05

Re: RFK Dimensions are WRONG.
« Reply #3: July 22, 2005, 10:52:33 AM »
I have a question.  ARE THE FIELD DIMENSIONS WITHIN MLB REGULATIONS?????  Could the wall dimension be too far?  Either way, the Nationals will have to move the wall closer to the plate next year.  

I want to see home runs.  Home runs bring fans through the ticket gates.  I don't care if Livan, Patts, and Loiaza give up bombs because the fences are closer in.  Maybe Jose will shut up too.  

Quote from: "JMadisonIV"
Barry Svrluga has the Team Officials measure RFK's Dimensions

394 in the Gaps!

Offline NeedaNewNick

« Reply #4: July 22, 2005, 11:16:18 AM »
the team's over .500 at home because the deep fences neutralize opposing teams' expensive sluggers, there is no reason to pull them in

What you do is bring in some contact, slap hitters who can hit .300 but might not hit that many jacks.  These types of players are generally much cheaper than HR hitters, and they give you a huge advantage in a pitchers' park like RFK.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #5: July 22, 2005, 11:40:59 AM »
A little historical context is important.  RFK was considered a neutral hitters park back in it's first run, in the 1960's.  RFK has not grown at all in the interim.  Rather, other parks have shrunk to the point where it is now considered a pitchers park.  

To expand on NeedaNewNick's point, if you can buy offense cheaply, you can invest the savings in better pitchers.  This is one of the objectives of A's management, as described in "Moneyball".

mar (AKA pasqual AKA JMG)

« Reply #6: July 22, 2005, 01:43:25 PM »
Quote from: "tomterp"
A little historical context is important.  RFK was considered a neutral hitters park back in it's first run, in the 1960's.  RFK has not grown at all in the interim.  Rather, other parks have shrunk to the point where it is now considered a pitchers park.  

To expand on NeedaNewNick's point, if you can buy offense cheaply, you can invest the savings in better pitchers.  This is one of the objectives of A's management, as described in "Moneyball".

If it was up to me, I would leave RFK exactly as it is and build the new park with the same dimensions.

This is not only from a "purist view" from a time when ballparks were NOT designed to allow every stiff who could hit a fly ball 340 feet to become the next Hank Aaron, I think its good business sense.

Most teams have now built band boxes and stocked their rosters with guys who are only power hitters in their own and other tiny parks. We've seen the advantage RFK brings (and its not like its a freakishly large park in historical context, just an average '60's-'70's park). Doncha love seeing those fake "power guys" on opposing teams not even make it to the warning track?

A Nats roster stocked with decent pitching and pwer singles-doubles hitters (which used to be the norm in parks like the old Busch Stadium, etc) can put up a great home record every season (or until others move their fences out). About all Nats need is their very own Jack Clark or Frank Howard: a guy who hits monster home runs that would clear the fences in any stadium. I suspect this is why Bowden covets Willy Mo Pena with his 500 foot power stroke; there are other guys out there too.

If I was Bowden tho, I'd acquire more speed (and maybe a different manager who actually likes to send runners). Think the Whitey Ball Cards teams of the '80's. To me that's a lot more exciting than waiting around to see some lumbering, defensively challenged stiff hit a 340 foot home run.

And despite MLB's current view (which, in addition to the encouragement of tiny parks resulted in the juiced balls of the Maguire-Bonds record years and the tacit encouragement of steroid use) I think fans are just as happy to see exciting, winning ball where home runs are an event to be cheered, not something that happens 6 to 8 times per game.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #7: July 22, 2005, 01:57:37 PM »
I would move the Fences in to where the dimensions are correct.

335 down the line, 380 in the gaps, 410 in straight center.

that's the MOST I would do.

as it stands now, it is 335 down the lines, 395 in the Power Alleys, 408 in Straight Center.  but the signs in the power alleys say 380.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #8: July 22, 2005, 02:02:57 PM »
They've already fixed it, not by moving the fences, but by rearranging the panels to where they belonged in the first place.

They were placed in the wrong slots upon construction this spring.

« Reply #9: July 22, 2005, 03:51:15 PM »
They've already fixed it, not by moving the fences, but by rearranging the panels to where they belonged in the first place.

They were placed in the wrong slots upon construction this spring.

Guess they should read:
"380 FEET
HIT IT HERE, STUPID!"

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #10: July 23, 2005, 09:58:08 AM »
Haven't been to Camden Yards much lately, but they used to have a sign saying "Hit it Here", with an arrow pointing at a stylized bullseye, with the letter "L" in the center.  I think it was an advertisement for the Maryland Lottery, but a very vague one.

« Reply #11: July 23, 2005, 11:44:42 AM »
Haven't been to Camden Yards much lately, but they used to have a sign saying "Hit it Here", with an arrow pointing at a stylized bullseye, with the letter "L" in the center.  I think it was an advertisement for the Maryland Lottery, but a very vague one.

Used to have a sign from a local tailor in Ebbetts field, Brooklyn that said: "Hit Sign, Win Suit."

Sign was like 24 inches by 18 inches and Duke Snyder said he only remembered one guy ever hitting it all the time they played there and then the tailor grudgingly provided him with a cheap, ill fitting suit.

luckyexposfan

« Reply #12: July 23, 2005, 12:27:23 PM »
I love RFK.  We would stay there permanently if it were up to me.

« Reply #13: July 23, 2005, 01:01:59 PM »
Quote from: "luckyexposfan"
I love RFK.  We would stay there permanently if it were up to me.

That ain't gonna happen but if it was me I would use the same dimensions for the new park.

Long as the rest of baseball is gonna build teams of 340 foot "home run hitters" playing in bandboxes, Nats can have a great home record in a big park every season.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #14: July 23, 2005, 01:08:35 PM »
I think even if they used the same dimensions in the new park there would be more home runs hit, unless its another enclosed stadium like RFK. If they can open up the outfields a bits to let the breezes come in, the park wouldn't lead the league in homers, but it at least would be a dead zone. Baseball fans love to see runs scored, and even though they wont complain over a 2-1 win, they go nuts when the home team scores in the double digits.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #15: July 23, 2005, 01:26:25 PM »
Quote from: "Kenz aFan"
If they can open up the outfields a bits to let the breezes come in, the park wouldn't lead the league in homers, but it at least would be a dead zone.

LOL

Took my wife to the game last night, her first this season.  Ugh.  In addition to the total lack of game events to cheer on, the temperature and humidity were stifling.  No breeze whatsoever, anywhere in the park that I could find, except for in a few of the tunnels.  Having an open design, as I'm sure the new park will have, will also allow breezes to make the hot weather experience a bit more palatable.

« Reply #16: July 23, 2005, 01:27:01 PM »
I think even if they used the same dimensions in the new park there would be more home runs hit, unless its another enclosed stadium like RFK. If they can open up the outfields a bits to let the breezes come in, the park wouldn't lead the league in homers, but it at least would be a dead zone. Baseball fans love to see runs scored, and even though they wont complain over a 2-1 win, they go nuts when the home team scores in the double digits.

yeah. You're right on the enclosed nature limiting HR's and the trend in ballpark design is open vistas so likely will be the case.

Me, I liked it better when a HR was an event. A prodigious feat by a real power guy, but then I guess I'm out of step.

I grew up on the Dawson-Carter-Raines-Expos and the Whitey Ball Cards so that's my preference.

Somewhere, Pete Incaviglia is sitting in front of his TV saying "GEEZ! Why wasn't I born 20 years later!"

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #17: July 23, 2005, 01:39:58 PM »
And Raphy Palmeiro is thanking his lucky stars for the home run porch at Camden Yards.

« Reply #18: July 23, 2005, 01:50:34 PM »
And Raphy Palmeiro is thanking his lucky stars for the home run porch at Camden Yards.

LOL
And lets not even think about what King Kong's place in MLB history would be if he had hit his prime in the late '90's!

Guy would be a legend (well, he's sort of a legend now but not quite in the same way).

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #19: July 23, 2005, 02:08:29 PM »
The one and true King Kong in baseball was Dave Kingman... Can you imagine him hitting out of Coors Field his whole career? Then again, there's a bunch of power hitters I would love to know what their career numbers would have been if they hit in Coors for half their games.

« Reply #20: July 23, 2005, 02:10:55 PM »
The one and true King Kong in baseball was Dave Kingman... Can you imagine him hitting out of Coors Field his whole career? Then again, there's a bunch of power hitters I would love to know what their career numbers would have been if they hit in Coors for half their games.

Is there another? I figured I say King Kong everybody knows its Mr. Kingman, the only man ever to hit a ball into the roof of the Astordome.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #21: July 23, 2005, 02:15:47 PM »
Well, since the conversation was about Palmeiro, I HAD to step in and speak for Dave...

Quote from: "mar (AKA pasqual AKA JMG)"
Is there another? I figured I say King Kong everybody knows its Mr. Kingman, the only man ever to hit a ball into the roof of the Astordome.

And out of Olympic Stadium (albeit foul)