Author Topic: John Lannan is a better man than I'll ever be  (Read 17239 times)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday

Trust the player, damn the stats.

Do you trust Lannan more or Stairs more with the bat in a clutch situation?

At least Stairs is fatter and thus more likely to be HBP.

Offline DPMOmaha

Looks Johnny boy got some tough love from Livo and Pudge after the Baltimore debacle. 

Quote from: Amanda Comak - Washington Times
In the midst of the Nationals‘ worst stretch, a 1-7 road trip in mid-May that ended with a sweep in Milwaukee, Lannan was 2-5 with an ERA over 5.00 and with the memory of being shipped to Double-A in 2010 fresh in his mind. Opponents were hitting .303 against him, and the Orioles, one of the worst teams in the American League, had just tagged him for six runs in six innings.

Livan Hernandez, Ivan Rodriguez and the 35 years of major league experience between them, sat Lannan down on the team’s charter flight and told the 26-year-old lefty that enough was enough. Enough time had gone by where they watched Lannan’s lack of conviction in his ability derail him.

“You’re really good,” Hernandez told him. “It’s important for you to know that you’re good, because you are. You really are.”

“It’s tough for me to believe it,” Lannan admitted, looking back on the talk. “Trusting it is a huge part of my game.”

That conversation was followed by an hourlong chat with pitching coach Steve McCatty after a bullpen session in which Lannan threw twice his normal amount of pitches - on the advice of Hernandez. Then came a string of starts that would rival those of some of the best pitchers in the league.

“When those guys sit you down and say something to you, it not only means they’re probably telling the truth, it means that they care enough to tell you something,” Lannan said. “They gave me advice, and I took it.”

Starting with 7 2/3 scoreless innings against the San Diego Padres his next time out, Lannan reeled off 11 straight starts where he averaged 6 1/3 innings and never allowed more than three earned runs. He also threw his sinker almost exclusively, with authority, and dropped his opponents batting average to .218 in that time.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/aug/15/sound-on-the-mound/?page=all#pagebreak

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Livo for GM

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
Strasburg37 - is that you ?

How about a coaching spot for Livo when he's ready to retire

Livo for GM

Offline houston-nat

bump.

Offline Kentucky_National

• BANG ZOOM
    • My Twitter
Great thread!

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause

Offline BigMeech

THE GOAT.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
Nationals PR ‏@NationalsPR

Since date of his 1st career start (4/12/08) against ATL, John Lannan has more wins (9) over Braves than any pitcher in MLB.

Offline hammondsnats

i'm so right about this guy

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
 :mg:
I like this pic.  Thanks MASN!

Offline nats2playoffs

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Great pitching by Lannan. Seemed jumpy the first two innings, and then in complete command. If Davey hadn't needed to pinch-hit for him, Lannan could have thrown a complete game...at least it looked like he was getting better each inning. 

Maybe dump HRod, promote Lannan, and let Lannan take half of Strassburg's starts. (Just trying to think of a way to get Strassburg pitching in the World Series)

Offline HerndonNat

• FSU Football
Great pitching by Lannan. Seemed jumpy the first two innings, and then in complete command. If Davey hadn't needed to pinch-hit for him, Lannan could have thrown a complete game...at least it looked like he was getting better each inning. 

Maybe dump HRod, promote Lannan, and let Lannan take half of Strassburg's starts. (Just trying to think of a way to get Strassburg pitching in the World Series)

I was thinking the same thing.  What could it hurt to skip a start or two for Stras so we have him for the playoffs?

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
as far as I am concerned, Livo is always welcome in DC when he retires.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
His elbow? ;)

I was thinking the same thing.  What could it hurt to skip a start or two for Stras so we have him for the playoffs?

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
Mark Zuckerman‏@MarkZuckerman

#Nats rotation last 5 games: 1.32 ERA, 22 H in 34 IP. And it all started with ... John Lannan.

:worship:

Offline BigMeech

UNLEASH THE LANNIMAL~!
« Reply #168: September 08, 2012, 11:40:26 AM »
With Strasburg being shutdown, I think it's time we UNLEASH THE LANNIMAL~!

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Re: UNLEASH THE LANNIMAL~!
« Reply #169: September 08, 2012, 11:41:46 AM »
You guys just wait, the Wang shall rise again!

Offline Clever

« Reply #170: September 08, 2012, 12:00:51 PM »
Lannination!

Offline zoom

« Reply #171: September 08, 2012, 12:30:27 PM »
Man, lannan reminds me of Phil Mickelson in that pic.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #172: September 08, 2012, 12:33:09 PM »
Man, lannan reminds me of Phil Mickelson in that pic.

...  so does his demeanor and game, i.e.  he's shaky at best.   

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #173: September 08, 2012, 12:36:03 PM »

+1

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #174: September 08, 2012, 12:51:27 PM »

plus he is a lefty also. hmm way too many parallels except Lannan doesn't have a Tiger Woods to nagslap him on the field all the time.