Author Topic: The "Software and Web" Geek thread.  (Read 40205 times)

Offline UMDNats

Re: The "Software and Web" Geek thread.
« Reply #75: November 10, 2009, 11:19:00 PM »
did you get your .pdf reader for free? or did you pay for it?

free = Reader

Pay = Acrobat

I definitely didn't pay for anything.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #76: November 10, 2009, 11:24:07 PM »
Sumatra PDF Reader - http://blog.kowalczyk.info/software/sumatrapdf/index.html

Pretty basic feature set, but it works fine for most simple viewing, and is extremely lightweight.  I used to use Foxit, but the newer versions feel a tad bloaty to me, at least for as much as I use PDFs (rarely).  I haven't used the official Adobe reader in years.  Yuck.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #77: November 10, 2009, 11:25:06 PM »
why yuck?

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #78: November 10, 2009, 11:28:18 PM »
why yuck?
A lot of Adobe's products are bloated, slow, pieces of crape.  Flash in particular is a friggin resource hog on OS X.  As a primarily Mac user, I haven't used Reader in forever (built in Preview works fine) but when I did use it a couple years ago, it too would bring a system to a crawl for no real reason.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #79: November 10, 2009, 11:31:14 PM »
A lot of Adobe's products are bloated, slow, pieces of crape.  Flash in particular is a friggin resource hog on OS X.  As a primarily Mac user, I haven't used Reader in forever (built in Preview works fine) but when I did use it a couple years ago, it too would bring a system to a crawl for no real reason.

Don't forget the helpful "speed reader" preloader and the constant update nagging.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #80: November 10, 2009, 11:35:22 PM »
speaking of flash, i decided not to use adblock on Chrome.

I read a compelling argument against doing so a little while ago, which basically boiled down to, the small, non-intrusive ads help pay for the websites that i visit, so I should let them be, even if I never click on them, the site still get pageview credit for it and thusly get paid. however, the large, loud, bright Flash ads are pointless and annoying and should be blocked. and the loud bright flash ads are the ones that everyone really wants to block anyway.

so instead of using Adblock, I use Flashbock. :thumbs: and so far, I haven't really had any issues with the ads that.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #81: November 10, 2009, 11:38:52 PM »
speaking of flash, i decided not to use adblock on Chrome.

I read a compelling argument against doing so a little while ago, which basically boiled down to, the small, non-intrusive ads help pay for the websites that i visit, so I should let them be, even if I never click on them, the site still get pageview credit for it and thusly get paid. however, the large, loud, bright Flash ads are pointless and annoying and should be blocked. and the loud bright flash ads are the ones that everyone really wants to block anyway.

so instead of using Adblock, I use Flashbock. :thumbs: and so far, I haven't really had any issues with the ads that.

That's your choice, but personally I don't buy that crap.  I could absolutely never go back to an internet without adblock.

Besides, the vast majority of ads are flash anyway, so flashblock = adblock as far as I'm concerned.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #82: November 10, 2009, 11:43:42 PM »
That's your choice, but personally I don't buy that crap.  I could absolutely never go back to an internet without adblock.

Besides, the vast majority of ads are flash anyway, so flashblock = adblock as far as I'm concerned.

I still have adblock on my Chrome..it's just disabled for now. figured I'd give flashblock a shot.

i'll disagree with your "most ads are flash" statement though. I've noticed quite a few that are not, at least on the sites that I go to. Flashblock only blocks the Flash ads, while Adblock blocks everything.

one downside of flashblock is that it also blocks things like youtube, and you have to specifically click on the flash videos do give flashblock permission to show it.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #83: November 10, 2009, 11:47:16 PM »
You should be able to add rules/exceptions to allow Youtube all the time.  I don't personally use flashblock but I've heard it has that capability.

And like I said, it's your choice, I respect that, but adblocking is no different than timeshifting TV with your DVR, which I don't see anyone complaining about.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #84: November 11, 2009, 01:17:27 PM »
So lala.com is even cooler than I thought. If you upload mp3s (once you legally own, of course), you can then keep them in your account and stream them anywhere. Instant music portability. You can make playlists and share them and everything. Wow!

Offline saltydad

« Reply #85: November 16, 2009, 01:05:10 PM »
I use Firefox. However, the last update including a trial for Phantom. I accepted, not knowing what it is and figuring I could delete it if not needed. So what is Phantom?

Offline The Chief

« Reply #86: November 16, 2009, 01:11:29 PM »
I use Firefox. However, the last update including a trial for Phantom. I accepted, not knowing what it is and figuring I could delete it if not needed. So what is Phantom?

Er...  never heard of it.

Google says it's a toolbar of some sort.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #87: November 16, 2009, 01:17:16 PM »
From Foxit Corporation.

Foxit Phantom Foxit Phantom is the all-in-one PDF application for both enterprise and business environments allowing you to reliably create, view, edit, convert, secure and organize PDF documents at a very competitive price.

http://forums.foxitsoftware.com/forumdisplay.php?s=9d3a1976b8c11ce1071aaa78de9db2cb&f=17

Edit- App not needed, so I removed it.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #88: December 21, 2009, 01:23:59 AM »
Anyone ever take the free limewire trial and get the 50 free mp3s? Is it legit? Seems weird to give a CC # to a file sharing company, but then again, Napster is Best Buy now.

www.store.limewire.com

Found it because I want the Nacho Libre theme song, "Hombre Religioso" by Mr Loco, but I don't want the rest of the album. I can only find it album only on iTunes and amazon for 10 bucks. I tried every other mp3 store :bang:

Offline Nathan

« Reply #89: December 21, 2009, 01:26:35 AM »
Anyone ever take the free limewire trial and get the 50 free mp3s? Is it legit? Seems weird to give a CC # to a file sharing company, but then again, Napster is Best Buy now.
Or, don't give them your CC# and get 50 million free mp3s.

Sounds fishy, but I do know they used to sell a "pro" version in addition to the free one.

I'll see if I can find out anything too, I'm always down for free music if it's legit.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #90: December 21, 2009, 01:34:31 AM »
I don't like this:
Prior to April 2004, the free version of LimeWire was distributed with a bundled program called LimeShop (a variant of TopMoxie), which was, by definition, spyware. Among other things, LimeShop monitored online purchases in order to redirect sales commissions to Lime Wire LLC. Uninstallation of LimeWire would not remove LimeShop. With the removal of all bundled software in LimeWire 3.9.4 (released on April 20, 2004), these objections were addressed.[11] LimeWire currently has a facility that allows its server to contact a running LimeWire client and gather various information.[12]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LimeWire

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #91: December 21, 2009, 10:01:52 AM »
Nathan, I'm not talking about installing the software, just buying mp3s from the store.

Yeah they are jerks with the spyware and such, but I just want to take free mp3s from them and then cancel. I'm not sure it's worth it though. I just want the Nacho Libre song :(

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #92: December 21, 2009, 12:26:12 PM »
burn it off youtube

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #93: December 21, 2009, 12:42:27 PM »
burn it off youtube

:doh: This isn't Metallica or Christina Aguilera. This is a little band called Mr Loco. I want to give them the 2 cent residual plus the sales record.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #94: December 21, 2009, 12:45:13 PM »
You have to be kidding :lol:

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #95: December 21, 2009, 01:02:08 PM »
I exhaust all possible legitimate means of obtaining content before resorting to something like youtube ripping.

It infuriates me when content is not yet electronically available, as in music, books, or movies.

I ordered an out of print book, a VHS tape, and a used dvd with my Amazon Prime because I couldn't get an ebook or online rentals for them. Frustrating.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #96: December 21, 2009, 02:50:00 PM »
Nathan, I'm not talking about installing the software, just buying mp3s from the store.

Yeah they are jerks with the spyware and such, but I just want to take free mp3s from them and then cancel. I'm not sure it's worth it though. I just want the Nacho Libre song :(
Still, I don't know about giving a company that has used spyware in the past my CC#.  Do you have to install the software to be able to download or is it straight from the webpage?  Nowhere else to get the song?

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #97: December 21, 2009, 02:52:37 PM »
Still, I don't know about giving a company that has used spyware in the past my CC#.  Do you have to install the software to be able to download or is it straight from the webpage?  Nowhere else to get the song?

They don't even have it :lol:

I just want free music.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #98: December 21, 2009, 06:10:53 PM »
imeem was absorbed and destroyed by MySpace music. Sucks. No more free streaming of uploaded music.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #99: December 22, 2009, 08:15:35 PM »
With imeem dead, I'm worried lala will go too. Napster just reworked their entire interface - it's beautiful and runs much better, and it's still beta. Pretty sure I'm going to renew with them just to be safe.