Poll

Who would you rather keep?

Adam LaRoche
68 (60.7%)
Michael Morse
44 (39.3%)

Total Members Voted: 112

Author Topic: Morse or LaRoche  (Read 51330 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Morse or LaRoche
« Reply #650: December 18, 2012, 05:08:57 PM »
speculation is that they are trying to cut Napoli down to 2 years over concerns about his hip.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/12/18/abraham-on-toucher-rich-whats-going-on-with-the-red-sox-mike-napoli-deal/

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #651: December 18, 2012, 07:06:31 PM »
speculation is that they are trying to cut Napoli down to 2 years over concerns about his hip.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/12/18/abraham-on-toucher-rich-whats-going-on-with-the-red-sox-mike-napoli-deal/

That's kind of f'd up for Napoli.  Now a bunch of teams have already signed free agents and don't have money left to spend. 

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #652: December 19, 2012, 12:19:59 PM »
I still don't get some folks desire to move one of the best fielding 3rd basemen in the league to first. Is it a wear-and-tear thing?
Or Rendon at 3rd/Zimm at first.

Offline imref

« Reply #653: December 19, 2012, 12:21:18 PM »
I still don't get some folks desire to move one of the best fielding 3rd basemen in the league to first. Is it a wear-and-tear thing?

i think people look at his throwing issues and assume he'll be at first in another year or two.   You have to find a spot for Rendon if you keep him, and it probably makes more sense to have Zimmerman at 1st and Rendon at 3rd then replace Espinosa with Rendon and have LaRoche there in 14-15.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #654: December 19, 2012, 12:25:26 PM »
I guess that makes sense. I was assuming his throwing issue wasn't a forever thing.
i think people look at his throwing issues and assume he'll be at first in another year or two.   You have to find a spot for Rendon if you keep him, and it probably makes more sense to have Zimmerman at 1st and Rendon at 3rd then replace Espinosa with Rendon and have LaRoche there in 14-15.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #655: December 19, 2012, 01:08:35 PM »
Next year is the make or break year for Zim's throwing issues. He just had surgery on that shoulder and presumably that will fix his problem. If not, then it's just a matter of time before they move him to 1B.

I think this is the biggest reason why Rizzo won't commit to ALR for more than two years. Having a 3B that can't throw is really not a good long term plan. ;)

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #656: December 19, 2012, 01:10:47 PM »
Next year is the make or break year for Zim's throwing issues. He just had surgery on that shoulder and presumably that will fix his problem. If not, then it's just a matter of time before they move him to 1B.

I think this is the biggest reason why Rizzo won't commit to ALR for more than two years. Having a 3B that can't throw is really not a good long term plan. ;)

according to you if morse got traded to the phillies it'd mean he doesn't care about nats fans :lmao:

Offline Ray D

« Reply #657: December 19, 2012, 02:09:21 PM »
Having a 3B that can't throw is really not a good long term plan. ;)
  I'm not buying it. Zimmerman makes all the difficult throws.   The easy ones are the problem.  I think it is mechanical and mental. I don't think it's the shoulder. And I do think he will correct it.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #658: December 19, 2012, 02:10:19 PM »
according to you if morse got traded to the phillies it'd mean he doesn't care about nats fans :lmao:

:lol:

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #659: December 19, 2012, 04:06:37 PM »
I just heard "Take On Me" on the 80's station and decided I want to keep Morse. 

freak all you haterz!

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #660: December 19, 2012, 04:11:19 PM »

Traded players don't get to to choose who they get traded to. :doh: :doh:

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #661: December 19, 2012, 04:28:25 PM »

davey lopes used to be a 1B coach for the nats but then went to the phillies to hold the same position.  he doesn't care about nats fans!

thanks a lot davey lopes!

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #662: December 19, 2012, 04:30:10 PM »
Ms. Houston hates Lance Berkman for having been traded to the Yankees. I discovered that this concept was really hard to explain :lol:

But then Berkman signed with the Cardinals and now we both hate him.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #663: December 19, 2012, 04:34:56 PM »
Ms. Houston hates Lance Berkman for having been traded to the Yankees. I discovered that this concept was really hard to explain :lol:

Are you sure she wasn't using the Yankee exception. All Yankees Must Be Hated At All Times for No Reason Except That They're Yankees. ;)

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #664: December 19, 2012, 04:36:37 PM »
Are you sure she wasn't using the Yankee exception. All Yankees Must Be Hated At All Times for No Reason Except That They're Yankees. ;)
Hahaha that is true. I also practice that with Red Sox.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #665: December 19, 2012, 04:40:09 PM »
Hahaha that is true. I also practice that with Red Sox.

Yes, that also applies to the Red Sox. And  the Oreooohhhss.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #666: December 19, 2012, 05:20:52 PM »
Just on the basis of the numbers, Morse seems to be roughly as good as (and maybe a bit better than) LaRoche at about half the reported 2013 price, which makes the National’s interest in LaRoche puzzling. However, other factors (just to name a few possiblities) such an injury information that the team has, the style of hitting, and a desire for a more handedness-balanced lineup might make spending a more for LaRoche an attractive option as the Nationals make another loaded run for the playoffs. In addition, if they did bring back LaRoche, Morse’s relatively low salary might might him an attractive trade piece.

Even if the Nationals would rather have LaRoche as their starting first baseman, simply having Morse as an acceptable option in 2013 keeps them from having to going further than they are comfortable in dollars or years for LaRoche. It must be nice.
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/on-the-nationals-interest-in-adam-laroche/

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #667: December 19, 2012, 05:39:51 PM »
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/on-the-nationals-interest-in-adam-laroche/

do they mention LaRoche's defense being better at all?

if anything, moore will be the back-up at 1B so we'll be in good shape. 

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #668: December 19, 2012, 05:41:02 PM »
Mariners are one less trade partner for Morse if we bring LaRoche back.  They just traded for Morales from the Angels.

That would leave the Rays, not sure who else as potential partners.  Maybe the O's but I kind of doubt we trade with them.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #669: December 19, 2012, 05:54:07 PM »
do they mention LaRoche's defense being better at all?

if anything, moore will be the back-up at 1B so we'll be in good shape.

Yes.  There's a lot more to the article and they do talk about ALR's 2012 v career, Mikey as an LF v. a 1B, Morse's 2012 v. 2010 and 2011, etc... 

When I quote an article, I don't usually copy and paste the whole thing out of concern over copyright. I generally excerpt and provide a link.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #670: December 19, 2012, 06:34:11 PM »
Knew before clicking that it wasn't Cameron.

Offline imref

« Reply #671: December 19, 2012, 08:58:52 PM »
Mariners are one less trade partner for Morse if we bring LaRoche back.  They just traded for Morales from the Angels.

That would leave the Rays, not sure who else as potential partners.  Maybe the O's but I kind of doubt we trade with them.

Who do the Cubs have at 1st? 

You are right.  If we re-sign LaRoche we may end up having to keep Morse or trade him for next to nothing.   Hey, does he have any options left?  He could be the 2013 John Lannan and spend the season at AAA.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #672: December 19, 2012, 10:50:41 PM »
Who do the Cubs have at 1st? 

anthony rizzo

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #673: December 20, 2012, 07:09:45 AM »
Maybe the Yankees could use him as an occasional DH and part time outfielder.  The Rangers could also use him.

The Christmas soft deadline is pretty much here. 

I think, if we end up keeping him and LaRoche, that Moore would go back to the minors rather than Morse.

Offline terpfan417

« Reply #674: December 20, 2012, 11:59:04 AM »
Yeah it would definitely be Moore going back down.