Author Topic: 'bout time...  (Read 5164 times)

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Re: 'bout time...
« Reply #75: June 15, 2011, 12:05:43 AM »
I'm waiting for that Mariners matinee next week to try the new places.  Unless the day camp groups are from Sidwell or St Albans, they won't be doing Box Frites.  

Box Frites sucks, I had some tonight.  The sauce was ok but the fries where nothing different than the garbage you get at Boardwalk or any other fatazz American food stand.  

It was very quick though, no line.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #76: June 15, 2011, 12:13:43 AM »
Box Frites sucks, I had some tonight.  The sauce was ok but the fries where nothing different than the garbage you get at Boardwalk or any other fatazz American food stand. 

It was very quick though, no line.
  The fries were nothing special.  Definitely not worth 8 bucks.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #77: June 15, 2011, 12:16:27 AM »
Did anyone try the taqueria?  I hear that they have chicken mole tacos.  And someone tweeted a photo of the dry ribs from the new bbq place, and they looked pretty solid.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #78: June 15, 2011, 12:20:39 AM »
I was already excited about the ribs, and now you're bringing up mole chicken tacos? :panic:

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #80: June 15, 2011, 07:22:51 AM »
(from yesterday's monday's rollout)

http://www.jdland.com/dc/index.cfm/3502/First-Look-at-New-Nationals-Park-Eateries-(Shake-Shack-et-al/

That site (JD Land) cracks me up - where were all of those yups when the area was home to Motorhead concerts and my connections for The Lady®?

I love the Mall Food Court™ vibe of the NYC eateries at the park.  If I could I would blast Feffer the Fluffer in the face with the gas of two bowls of Wendy's chili and two bottles of hot sauce.  F U Feffer.

Offline Teddy-Roosevelt

• LetTeddyWin.com
    • Presidents race gear including official TM Let Teddy Win shirts and rally signs.
« Reply #81: June 16, 2011, 11:21:43 PM »
I tried virtually everything.  My impressions: http://bit.ly/iBybdx

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #82: June 17, 2011, 06:32:07 AM »
They really did a great job of replicating Citi Field...

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #83: June 17, 2011, 07:06:54 AM »
  The fries were nothing special.  Definitely not worth 8 bucks.
8 bucks for fries? Sweet Jesus, that's more expensive than England.

Now, chicken mole tacos I would just about kill a man for...

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #84: June 17, 2011, 11:52:27 AM »
8 bucks for fries? Sweet Jesus, that's more expensive than England.

Now, chicken mole tacos I would just about kill a man for...

My wife and I went last night and shared a bunch of the new food options.

We got the 3 pack of sampler tacos. The chicken taco was the worst of the 3, not bad, but I much preferred the skirt steak taco. The Carnitas taco was tasty as well. I didn't like the Elote corn on the cob - because - everyone overcooks their corn. It was mushy and watery - even after accounting for the mayonaise/cotija cheese/pepper coating.

We also split the ribs from blue smoke. These were pretty good sized ribs. Nice smoke flavor and a good tasting combination of rub and sauce... but... the ribs were fatty. They are probably not cooking them slowly enough. So, instead of melting and disappearing into the ribs, the fat stays together in pieces.  I also like the Blue Smoke cole slaw. It's a pickled style slaw, no mustard, and nothing creamy in it. Just tart, vinergar-y slaw.

And finally, we shared a concrete from Shake Shack. It's custard with stuff mixed in. It was darn good. Hard to screw up ice cream. But the chocolate, peanuts and caramel are a nice combination.

Didn't get anything from the Frites. They're just fries. And while I don't object to paying stadium prices a few times per year, $8-10 is too much for french fries.

Finally, the $5 beers are a decent deal. But they only are offering 4 styles: Miller Lite, The High Life, Pislner Urguell and Coor Lire (I think) - but they were 16 ouncers.

Offline Teddy-Roosevelt

• LetTeddyWin.com
    • Presidents race gear including official TM Let Teddy Win shirts and rally signs.
Box Frites
« Reply #85: June 17, 2011, 12:15:00 PM »
The fries themselves are just not special, and for $8-$10 they should be.  Granted they are cooked properly -- lightly crisp -- which for some reason most places have a hard time pulling off, but the spuds themselves are pedestrian, and the sauces are a disappointment.  The garlic-parmesan variety are easily the best, but they are the most expensive too, and even those have very little garlic flavor.  It's all parmesan.  For the record, they are so rich, four people could easily share a serving: