Author Topic: Paul Swydan Believes Braves Will Catch Nats [but who gives gives a rat's ...]  (Read 18052 times)

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
Re: Paul Swydan Believes Braves Will Catch Nats
« Reply #100: August 09, 2012, 12:40:59 PM »
We need to do more than just win series at this point. The late season Braves aren't just taking 2/3, they are sweeping nearly everyone.

And yet the Nats have gained 2 games on the Braves in the last week.

Way too much emphasis is being placed on the way Atlanta is playing vs the way the Nats are playing right now.

Again, consistency is the key here. The Nats have shown far more of an ability to maintain a consistent pace than any other team in the National League.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #101: August 09, 2012, 12:43:52 PM »
We need to do more than just win series at this point. The late season Braves aren't just taking 2/3, they are sweeping nearly everyone.

No we don't. Keep winning series, especially the ones vs. the Braves.  Steady will win.  Desperate will not.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #102: August 09, 2012, 12:45:34 PM »
No we don't. Keep winning series, especially the ones vs. the Braves.  Steady will win.  Desperate will not.

:clap: sweep more than we get swept and win most series and we'll be fine

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #103: August 09, 2012, 12:47:58 PM »

They have, in fact, swept all of two series since the All-Star break:

Mets home - W 3-0
Giants home - L 1-2
Nationals away - T 2-2
Marlins away - W 2-1
Phillies home - W 3-0
Marlins home - W 3-1
Astros home - W 2-1
Phillies away - W 2-1

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #104: August 09, 2012, 01:04:00 PM »
Totally agree.  Look no further than the fine Monte Python game thread - parody at its best.

:mg:
:-[

parity....

It's been a long day

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #105: August 09, 2012, 01:05:05 PM »

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #106: August 09, 2012, 01:45:34 PM »

Offline PC

« Reply #107: August 09, 2012, 06:15:46 PM »
I was reading a blog entry by Jay Jaffe at si.com about how the Orioles are doomed to not make the playoffs for a variety of reasons, one of them was their records in 1-run and 1 or 2-run games which he maintained is unsustainably high. So I was checking those numbers at baseball-reference and discovered another team that has an incredibly high and likely unsustainable record in those games, the Braves of Atlanta.

The Braves have the 3rd highest winning percentage in both 1-run games and 2 or less run games.  In 1-run games, the Braves winning percentage is .640. Their Pythagorean winning percentage in those games is .538.  In 1 or 2 run games, their winning % is .596 and their Pythagorean winning percentage in those games is .528.  They’ve won a lot more of those games than they should.  They’re due to lose a lot of those games over the remainder of the season.

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #108: August 09, 2012, 06:24:38 PM »
I was reading a blog entry by Jay Jaffe at si.com about how the Orioles are doomed to not make the playoffs for a variety of reasons, one of them was their records in 1-run and 1 or 2-run games which he maintained is unsustainably high. So I was checking those numbers at baseball-reference and discovered another team that has an incredibly high and likely unsustainable record in those games, the Braves of Atlanta.

The Braves have the 3rd highest winning percentage in both 1-run games and 2 or less run games.  In 1-run games, the Braves winning percentage is .640. Their Pythagorean winning percentage in those games is .538.  In 1 or 2 run games, their winning % is .596 and their Pythagorean winning percentage in those games is .528.  They’ve won a lot more of those games than they should.  They’re due to lose a lot of those games over the remainder of the season.

Whats their W-L to Pythagorean though?

Offline Clever

« Reply #109: August 09, 2012, 06:32:37 PM »
Clever believes that Paul Swydan is a moran.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #110: August 09, 2012, 08:23:47 PM »
Who cares!

NATITUDE!

Offline Clever

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #112: August 09, 2012, 09:53:58 PM »
Just win and win again.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #113: August 09, 2012, 11:40:21 PM »
Just win and win again.

Seriously, this.

Too many folks here are getting bent out of shape on what a guy wrote on Fangraphs.  Yes he could be right.  He could be wrong.  Last I checked, Nats were in First, and have the best record in all of MLB.  I surely thought the debacle game against the Braves would be the undoing of an unprecedented season for this franchise and the Nats have shown how tough they really fight to stay in it.

No one can project how teams will be going forward.  It's cool to sit there and have xFIP and Pythagorean W-L metrics but guess what, those are all crap.  I don't care if John Lannan is SUPPOSED to be a 4.50 ERA pitcher, because, well he isn't a 4.50 ERA pitcher.  Is he dominant?  Heck no!  Can he pitch like a man in the majors?  Heck yes he can!

If anything has come out of the four game sweep against the Astros, it has to be the true makeup of the team.  The Astros played up to the last outs HARD for three games.  Gio buckled down and notched his first CG.  He knew what was happening with the pen showing cracks.  Guys are tired out there and Gio came through to pick up the ENTIRE bullpen.  So what if the offense hasn't been able to score crazy runs against a light tossing staff?  Did it ever occur that just because the guys on the other side have bad numbers doesn't mean that they are NOT MLB STARTERS?  They are amped up to bring their best stuff to TRY and shut down the best team in the MLB.  That isn't easy to do and as of late, it wasn't just the pitching that made other teams get on their adrenaline.

Case and point, let the players play.  I have had a fun time watching this team this year and I would love to see postseason ball with them.  So far, every hole or crack that has appeared, the Nats have found ways of fixing them.  Every player minus the two disaster pitchers (Hank the Rod and Wang Chung) have been able to bounce back from bad outings.  I'm all in for this season.  Maybe not quite SSS, but I don't think I belong in the LoD anymore.  Whazzat other faction that everybody else is in?

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #114: August 10, 2012, 08:54:25 AM »
Seriously, this.

Too many folks here are getting bent out of shape on what a guy wrote on Fangraphs.  Yes he could be right.  He could be wrong.  Last I checked, Nats were in First, and have the best record in all of MLB.  I surely thought the debacle game against the Braves would be the undoing of an unprecedented season for this franchise and the Nats have shown how tough they really fight to stay in it.

No one can project how teams will be going forward.  It's cool to sit there and have xFIP and Pythagorean W-L metrics but guess what, those are all crap.  I don't care if John Lannan is SUPPOSED to be a 4.50 ERA pitcher, because, well he isn't a 4.50 ERA pitcher.  Is he dominant?  Heck no!  Can he pitch like a man in the majors?  Heck yes he can!

If anything has come out of the four game sweep against the Astros, it has to be the true makeup of the team.  The Astros played up to the last outs HARD for three games.  Gio buckled down and notched his first CG.  He knew what was happening with the pen showing cracks.  Guys are tired out there and Gio came through to pick up the ENTIRE bullpen.  So what if the offense hasn't been able to score crazy runs against a light tossing staff?  Did it ever occur that just because the guys on the other side have bad numbers doesn't mean that they are NOT MLB STARTERS?  They are amped up to bring their best stuff to TRY and shut down the best team in the MLB.  That isn't easy to do and as of late, it wasn't just the pitching that made other teams get on their adrenaline.

Case and point, let the players play.  I have had a fun time watching this team this year and I would love to see postseason ball with them.  So far, every hole or crack that has appeared, the Nats have found ways of fixing them.  Every player minus the two disaster pitchers (Hank the Rod and Wang Chung) have been able to bounce back from bad outings.  I'm all in for this season.  Maybe not quite SSS, but I don't think I belong in the LoD anymore.  Whazzat other faction that everybody else is in?

I honestly thought that this road trip was going to be a sign of how this team was going to finish the season.  I know it's just the Astros, but it was in Houston, it was four games and even a split would have been disappointing.  They sweep the Astros and now move onto Arizona - not a world beater but not a slouch either.  They wrap up on the west coast which is the potential disaster against the Giants, whom I think is probably the next best team in the NL to the Nats.  If we can take 2-of-3 from ARZ and not get swept in San Fran I would consider that to be a positive sign that we should win the division as long as they don't shut down Strasburg. 

Oh, and GO METS!!!!

Offline Dave B

« Reply #115: August 10, 2012, 09:52:47 AM »
The braves have been the hottest team for like a month or two and haven't made up much ground since the break. So much for that and will they continue to be hot for another two months. The nats have probably taken the braves best punch. Further evidence this guy is stretching is the whole outfield defense argument. The nats have allowed the fewest runs in baseball. Maybe we are good at keeping the ball in the infield

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #116: August 10, 2012, 12:38:33 PM »
The braves have been the hottest team for like a month or two and haven't made up much ground since the break. So much for that and will they continue to be hot for another two months. The nats have probably taken the braves best punch. Further evidence this guy is stretching is the whole outfield defense argument. The nats have allowed the fewest runs in baseball. Maybe we are good at keeping the ball in the infield

How can they be the hottest team if they've lost ground?  I don't understand that.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #117: August 10, 2012, 12:47:10 PM »
The braves have been the hottest team for like a month or two and haven't made up much ground since the break.
No they haven't.

People are unnecessarily :panic: over the Broves, but the Broves should be :panic: about the Nats.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #118: August 10, 2012, 12:49:50 PM »
the Broves should be :panic: about the Nats.

The Braves fans I know are.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #119: August 10, 2012, 01:06:16 PM »
That movie never gets old.

MATT DAMON

AMERICA...!

Offline captkirk42

• Curly W Cards
« Reply #120: August 10, 2012, 01:29:30 PM »
AMERICA...!

..YEAH!

I'm So Ronery.

You Need a Montage (Montage)

Offline RL04

« Reply #121: August 10, 2012, 02:15:01 PM »
Paul Swydan Believes Braves Will Catch Nats

Uhhh ... so do I.      :couch:

Offline Slumpbuster

« Reply #122: August 12, 2012, 12:18:47 AM »
We've got the Braves psyched out.
And talent wise....Mcann over Flores/Suzuki is the ONLY position player where they ave an edge.

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #123: August 12, 2012, 12:45:20 AM »
We've got the Braves psyched out.
And talent wise....Mcann over Flores/Suzuki is the ONLY position player where they ave an edge.

Heyward>Werth
Bourn is 10x better than Harper
Uggla>Espinosa
Prado>Morse

Even Chipper Jones has played better this year than Zimmerman.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #124: August 12, 2012, 12:49:45 AM »
Heyward>Werth
Bourn is 10x better than Harper
Uggla>Espinosa
Prado>Morse

Even Chipper Jones has played better this year than Zimmerman.

While I thought Slumpbuster was being pretty ridiculous, I think you are being a bit irrational as well. Then again, that just might be your point? I dunno.