Author Topic: Welcome New Members, Introduce Yourself!  (Read 414896 times)

Offline EmpireNat

• Hit 'em Hard
Re: Welcome New Members, Introduce Yourself!
« Reply #425: April 15, 2008, 10:57:05 AM »
There are a number of differences, but most importantly, OBP includes walks and hit-by-pitch in the numerator AND demoninator, while simple averages excludes them from the calculation.

Imagine a batter who comes to the plate 10 times, and gets 3 hits and a walk.

His batting average is .333   (3 divided by 9), as the walk is excluded from batting average, as if it never happened.  Thus while he had 10 plate appearances, he only had 9 "at-bats" for purposes of computing average.

The hitters OBP is .400, 4 divided by 10.  3 hits + a walk = 4, divided by plate appearances.

Wikipedia has a more expansive discussion here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_base_percentage

Cheers mate, thats a great help! I'm really glad I've found a place to discuss baseball with people who know what they are talking about and glad to help. As you might imagine, there are not too many people with whom I can talk baseball with across the pond, we are sadly in the enlightened minority!

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #426: April 15, 2008, 06:08:34 PM »
Welcome, Josh! It's so great to have you, and I hope we will provide just the sort of great place to talk about baseball that you're hoping for.
Most of us feel the team improved from 2007 in the offseason, but our confidence has been shaken by the recent 9 game losing streak.  Realistically, we expect to contend (for the divisional title) in 1-2 years from now, but our division is not very solid at the moment and if we get our act together the season is still very much in play.
I never lost hope, but then again my mantra is "don't panic". I expect us to win at least as many games as we lose this year, and next year we could be contenders for a wild-card playoff entry. Two or three years from now, when our pitching prospects are in the big leagues and when players like Ryan Zimmerman, Jesus Flores, Wily Mo Pena and Lastings Milledge are entering their primes - we'll be very formidable indeed. :)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #427: April 16, 2008, 01:21:52 PM »
Looking through the game thread from yesterday, (which is now locked), I saw a post from Nats2playoffs I wanted to respond to:

We had a fan from the United Kingdom early in the season two years ago.  He was up pretty late following live games.  When they started losing a lot, he stopped showing up.

That would be "AuRevoirExpos", who appears to be still lurking, if only occasionally, with his last login on April 5, 2008.  He said he was involved in a car crash and suffered some serious injuries, that coincided with his departure as a regular contributor.  He did come back months later and post a little, but may have lost interest.  He wanted one of those interlocking DC caps something awful, I ended up buying one for him at a P-Nats game and mailing to UK, he mailed US$ in return. Real name is Terry.

And yes, he would stay up on those game threads way past when I would be up, the 5 hour handicap seemed to be no deterrent.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #428: April 16, 2008, 01:51:02 PM »
Looking through the game thread from yesterday, (which is now locked), I saw a post from Nats2playoffs I wanted to respond to:

That would be "AuRevoirExpos", who appears to be still lurking, if only occasionally, with his last login on April 5, 2008.  He said he was involved in a car crash and suffered some serious injuries, that coincided with his departure as a regular contributor.  He did come back months later and post a little, but may have lost interest.  He wanted one of those interlocking DC caps something awful, I ended up buying one for him at a P-Nats game and mailing to UK, he mailed US$ in return. Real name is Terry.

And yes, he would stay up on those game threads way past when I would be up, the 5 hour handicap seemed to be no deterrent.

Moderators can reply to locked threads Tom.  Just for future reference.  Use your powers wisely! :lol:

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #429: April 16, 2008, 06:47:03 PM »
Moderators can reply to locked threads Tom.  Just for future reference.  Use your powers wisely! :lol:

Everyone shouldn't be privy to the ways of the "Force"!  LOL

konan2ugly

« Reply #430: April 16, 2008, 07:39:58 PM »
Geetings all, Konan aka Doug here as a new member. Soon to be 52 yr old Nats fan, I live outside Richmond, VA. I take my 74 yr old dad (with my wife's help) to as many weekend games as I can. He and I are lifelong Yankees fans, but now have adopted the Nats as our second team. The three of us truly enjoy watching the Nats play.

Last Saturday, at the 10-2 loss to those stinking Braves, I tickled my crew by getting on the big screen while dancing my old-gray-fat butt for the roving camera guy. I later lectured the Budweiser vendor that if you gonna block my view 12 times a game, at least sell the beers "with enthusiasm." I then proceeded to get up and give him some of my home made Budweiser calls. Of course, by this time, the only people left in section 113 were a few die hard Nats fans and roughly 300 Braves fans.

Anyways.....Go Nats!

Konan

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #431: April 16, 2008, 10:42:32 PM »
Geetings all, Konan aka Doug here as a new member...

L - U - R - C - H - !  CAN YOU PITCH RIGHT AWAY?

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #432: April 16, 2008, 10:47:18 PM »
L - U - R - C - H - !  CAN YOU PITCH RIGHT AWAY?

(Image removed from quote.)

That picture looks like Dana Jacobson in a tuxedo.  :lol:

Offline saltydad

« Reply #433: April 17, 2008, 12:40:29 AM »
Geetings all, Konan aka Doug here as a new member. Soon to be 52 yr old Nats fan, I live outside Richmond, VA. I take my 74 yr old dad (with my wife's help) to as many weekend games as I can. He and I are lifelong Yankees fans, but now have adopted the Nats as our second team. The three of us truly enjoy watching the Nats play.

Last Saturday, at the 10-2 loss to those stinking Braves, I tickled my crew by getting on the big screen while dancing my old-gray-fat butt for the roving camera guy. I later lectured the Budweiser vendor that if you gonna block my view 12 times a game, at least sell the beers "with enthusiasm." I then proceeded to get up and give him some of my home made Budweiser calls. Of course, by this time, the only people left in section 113 were a few die hard Nats fans and roughly 300 Braves fans.

Anyways.....Go Nats!

Konan

Hey there Konan. Don't think you're the only Nats and Yankees fan here; I'm at least one other. Welcome aboard. Wish I had seen you dancing on the scoreboard!

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #434: April 18, 2008, 12:18:20 AM »
Me too.  I got a picture of a Gorilla on Opening night that's one of our members!  I made a few copies if he's ever at one of our tailgates!

Anyone going to the Cubbies game on I believe the 25th?  A week from tomorrow?

natsfan1a

« Reply #435: April 18, 2008, 08:28:36 AM »
Welcome!

If I may clarify a bit, the member in question isn't actually a gorilla, but was wearing a gorilla suit at the time. ;)

I won't be there on 4/25 but will be on 4/27.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #436: April 18, 2008, 08:59:45 AM »
Me too.  I got a picture of a Gorilla on Opening night that's one of our members!  I made a few copies if he's ever at one of our tailgates!

Calsgr8, are you going to post that picture or keep us in suspense? 

natsfan1a

« Reply #437: April 18, 2008, 09:26:44 AM »
I think that she still has limited Internet access due to the ongoing basement work.

halz7

« Reply #438: April 18, 2008, 02:41:01 PM »
hellooo:)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #441: April 18, 2008, 11:48:02 PM »
hellooo:)

Hellooooo.  I see you have an Olympian in your Avi.  Know any playing in Bowie on May 10th?

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #442: April 18, 2008, 11:49:18 PM »
Calsgr8, are you going to post that picture or keep us in suspense? 

Its still on a chip I haven't downloaded to the computer yet.  If I can find it amoungst this disorganized mess, I'll post it.

Offline KV

• Believe!
« Reply #443: April 19, 2008, 12:46:30 PM »
OK...I've been lurking here for a while, it's time to jump in.  I'm a long-time N. Virginia resident...used to follow the old Senators, and I'm really glad to have a home team again (never bought into the O's).  I'll be joining in on gameday threads from time to time.  Happy to make your acquaintance!

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #444: April 19, 2008, 12:53:57 PM »
Welcome aboard.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #445: April 19, 2008, 12:58:14 PM »
Welcome KV and halz 8)

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #446: April 19, 2008, 02:27:06 PM »
THIS BOARD IS GETTING A LITTLE SQUIRRELY  ;)   :lol:

Offline Cinqo de Mayo

« Reply #447: April 20, 2008, 09:21:51 PM »
Please allow me to introduce myself, if anyone still visits this thread.

I'm a native Washingtonian, born at Columbia Hospital for Women in 1949. I was a Senators (and, gasp, Yankees) fan until 1960 when the Nats became the Twins, and the Yankees lost the World Series on Mazerowski's home run. (I still remember the moment. I was in the barber shop at Riggs Rd. and S. Dakota Ave.) I stopped following baseball for the next 20 years, completely ignoring the Frank Howard/Ted Williams Senators, or the nearby great Orioles teams of '66-'79.

In 1981, some do-gooder dragged me to Memorial Stadium, and suddenly, I was an Orioles fan. That lasted until the advent of Peter Angelos and the departure of Cal Ripken Jr. I'm pleased that my home town once again has a team, and hope that they will develop into a winning franchise.

I've been posting at The Baltimore Sun's Sunspot for the last 8 years, and will probably continue to do so.

I'm happy to find a new Washington address.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #448: April 20, 2008, 09:30:40 PM »
Please allow me to introduce myself, if anyone still visits this thread.

I'm a native Washingtonian, born at Columbia Hospital for Women in 1949. I was a Senators (and, gasp, Yankees) fan until 1960 when the Nats became the Twins, and the Yankees lost the World Series on Mazerowski's home run. (I still remember the moment. I was in the barber shop at Riggs Rd. and S. Dakota Ave.) I stopped following baseball for the next 20 years, completely ignoring the Frank Howard/Ted Williams Senators, or the nearby great Orioles teams of '66-'79.

In 1981, some do-gooder dragged me to Memorial Stadium, and suddenly, I was an Orioles fan. That lasted until the advent of Peter Angelos and the departure of Cal Ripken Jr. I'm pleased that my home town once again has a team, and hope that they will develop into a winning franchise.

I've been posting at The Baltimore Sun's Sunspot for the last 8 years, and will probably continue to do so.

I'm happy to find a new Washington address.

Cool avatar. Welcome!

Offline saltydad

« Reply #449: April 20, 2008, 10:11:51 PM »
Howdy. Always nice to find another Nat (and Yankee) :) fan.