Author Topic: Welcome New Members, Introduce Yourself!  (Read 414951 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: Welcome New Members, Introduce Yourself!
« Reply #300: September 22, 2007, 12:08:24 PM »
my name is mike.i live in new york state and have been a nats fan for many years.thanks for having me

Mike, you're not the only one.  Minty Fresh is headed down from Castleton on Hudson this weekend to catch the last games in RFK.  Welcome.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #301: September 22, 2007, 01:37:29 PM »
Hello Mike!

Where in NY?  City? 

Offline saltydad

« Reply #302: September 23, 2007, 12:13:20 AM »
my name is mike.i live in new york state and have been a nats fan for many years.thanks for having me

Welcome Mike, from an ex-New Yorker.

Offline Skipper88

« Reply #303: September 23, 2007, 10:13:05 AM »
My name is Chris, I live in Arlington VA since 1999.  I'm a long-time St Louis Cardinals fan since 1982, but slowly weaning myself off the Cards and have been a Nats fan since the day they arrived.   Lord knows this season's performance by the Cardinals went a long way towards my conversion to full-time Nats fan..... :'(

Season ticket holder in Section 126,  home of the famous former usher Myron of Washington Post fame.  I usually get to about 40 games a year.

I would describe myself as a serious fan, but not a fanatic.  I can't tell you the batting average of all our minor league prospects, or all the wacky SABRE stats for our lineup, but I know the NL pretty well.

Glad to finally discover a Nats forum like this one, the fan forum on the team website leaves quite a bit to be desired.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #304: September 23, 2007, 08:40:37 PM »
Welcome to the good side!  Thanks for coming over!!

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #305: September 23, 2007, 10:40:35 PM »
Welcome to the good side!  Thanks for coming over!!

Do not return to the DARK SIDE of the Force (heavy breathing)

Sorry, couldnt' resist that one.  By the way Skipper, I like your Leo Durocher quote (converted Dodger fan)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #306: September 26, 2007, 03:45:19 PM »
I see we got a couple of new members today.  Baldynat, Junk bucket, it would be great to meet the folks behind these compelling nicknames.

Offline Teddy-Roosevelt

• LetTeddyWin.com
    • Presidents race gear including official TM Let Teddy Win shirts and rally signs.
« Reply #307: October 01, 2007, 10:58:30 AM »
Hi everybody.  Great forum you have here.  I'm sorry I didn't discover it sooner. 

I have lived in DC for 15 years, and really missed baseball.  I am a life-long fan of the Reds, but somehow became an instant Washington Nationals loyalist in April, 2005.  This team won my heart instantly.  I am already hopelessly sucked in and have far-too-high expectations for next year.

I have had tickets in section 111 for the first 3 years at RFK, and am hoping and praying that I don't move backwards at Nationals Park. 

My 2 kids alternate coming to the games with me.  They are partial to the Presidents Race (and to Teddy) and I share their enthusiasm because Teddy is the first great fan tradition that we can truly call our own.  As somebody who wants to see attendance go up, I am a big promoter of Teddy's quest to win the Presidents Race in 2008.

natsfan1a

« Reply #308: October 01, 2007, 11:15:48 AM »
Welcome, Teddy. We're rootin' for ya in 2008!  :woop: :woop:

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #309: October 01, 2007, 11:37:01 AM »
Welcome aboard!

Offline saltydad

« Reply #310: October 01, 2007, 04:56:35 PM »
CHARGE!

Welcome Back Teddy! Nice to see you again after so many years.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #311: October 01, 2007, 09:59:33 PM »
Ted - dy Ted - dy  :clap:

Offline Teddy-Roosevelt

• LetTeddyWin.com
    • Presidents race gear including official TM Let Teddy Win shirts and rally signs.
« Reply #312: October 01, 2007, 11:07:03 PM »
Aww Shuck, guys.  You're making me blush...  :-[

Offline Paris

« Reply #313: October 04, 2007, 01:18:29 PM »
Hi, my name is Richard.  I'm the third generation of my family on both sides born in D.C.; my children are the fourth.  Like others here, I'm old enough to have spent many afternoons with my dad watching the Senators play at Griffith Stadium.  As for myself, I have no baseball talent, none whatsoever.  As a kid I would start running even before I finnished my swing, the ball would slam into the mud about ten feet from the plate, and if I did manage to get on, I was soon picked off or doubled up because I got distracted and never paid attention to what was happening at the plate.  Since then, whenever I see this happen in the Major Leauges -- as I sometimes do -- I sympathize.

In the field it was worse. It was so bad, in fact, that I was usually made a supplemental right fielder, since that was where the ball was least likely to ever come near me. Whenever it did, the first thing I heard was everybody yelling my name.  This was the signal to take the mit off my head and look around, but it was almost always too late.

Later, in college, I played intramural baseball with Carl Yastremsky's nephew, who would often join me as the third right fielder. Poor fellow: he was as bad as I was, but it was worse, because everyone expected so much more of him.

natsfan1a

« Reply #314: October 04, 2007, 01:28:19 PM »
Welcome, Richard. What great anecdotes!

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #315: October 04, 2007, 08:15:28 PM »
Welcome Paris.

When I saw one of your posts I thought hmm named after Paris Hilton.   :-[

I LOVE baseball but am horrible at playing it as well.  I tried to play in a softball league once (it was C league, for those of us with less talent).  Well there were others in that league that should have been in A league but wanted to stay with their less talented pals.  You guessed it.  The person who went to every practice and loved to play for the fun of it (ME) was assigned to keep score, and those who were good and never came to practice got to play!   :rant:

Needless to say, I don't join any leagues any more.

arkymark

« Reply #316: October 05, 2007, 08:35:46 AM »
I learned to love baseball from Roger Angell's The Summer Game.  I had less than no ability in any athletic endeavor, so I decided umpiring was my way to get on the field, and I did that through high school and college.  At one time, it was the only profession I was interested in, though it was probably not the right field for somebody who hates to be criticized and doubts his own judgment.  Eventually I stopped being terrified and then lost the passion.

In the town in Arkansas where I grew up, there was no professional baseball for miles in any direction, so I didn't actually see a major league game til after my junior year in high school (Pirates-Cubs doubleheader in Pittsburg), though I could watch as many games on television as were on.  I went to college in Chicago and became a White Sox fan both for reasons of geography and class -- I was in school on the southside, and a person from Arkansas naturally wants to be the underdog and to feel restentment for those highter up the status ladder, and that fits the Sox in Chicago perfectly.

However, because I went home in the summers I was never able to actually spend a full season in a town with a major league baseball team until the year after graduation, when I lived in Chicago fulltime.  It was one of the worst alltime Sox teams, or any other kind of team, but being there a whole season was the realizataion of a dream and I had a great time.  After we moved to this area, we would go to Baltimore several times a year, but it was not the same as actually having them in the same city.

I gave up on baseball for 10 years after the strike because I thought, if they don't care, why should I?  But then four years ago I decided that going to games would be something I could do with my teenage son, so we started back going to O's games and the old love came back.  Then, lo and behold, the Sox win the Serious for the first time since 1917.  And baseball comes to my hometown.  Miracle upon miracle that I would have missed but for my son.  Who remains an O's fan, and has become a Mets fan, though that is on the bubble after this year.

Anyway, all this came back to me one night in September when I'd gotten to RFK before the family and was sitting alone in our seats.  That reminded me of all the games I went to at Comiskey, usually alone, and of how much I love being in baseball stadiums of all shapes, sizes, and ages.  So, for me, the Nats are a great, unexpected gift come late in my life.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #317: October 05, 2007, 08:50:38 AM »
So, for me, the Nats are a great, unexpected gift come late in my life.

Amen.

« Reply #318: October 28, 2007, 11:16:28 PM »
I've been a long time Expos fan that stayed with them when they moved to DC.  I have followed the Expos since 1977.  Prior to that spent six years as a Yankee fan.  I became a spos fans when the Yanks started buying their teams.  The Expos built from within, I liked that.  I believe the Nats are doing the same with the great draft they had this past summer.  Looking forward to a productive off season from the front office of the Nats.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #319: October 29, 2007, 12:23:21 AM »
Welcome aboard and be sure not to be a stranger!  Jump on in!  Good to have you here.

natsfan1a

« Reply #320: October 29, 2007, 11:48:18 AM »
Welcome!

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #321: October 29, 2007, 01:32:55 PM »
I've been a long time Expos fan that stayed with them when they moved to DC.  I have followed the Expos since 1977.  Prior to that spent six years as a Yankee fan.  I became a spos fans when the Yanks started buying their teams.  The Expos built from within, I liked that.  I believe the Nats are doing the same with the great draft they had this past summer.  Looking forward to a productive off season from the front office of the Nats.

Hey Eddie, Tim Raines is going to be at a Memoribilia show in Chantilly this weekend if you're in the area.  If you want to go to the website its www.csashows.com

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #322: October 29, 2007, 01:41:32 PM »
Eddie, do you live in the DC area, or are you one of our more distant fans?

« Reply #323: October 29, 2007, 10:22:45 PM »
I live in Upstate NY.  Raines was a great Expos player like to see him in the HOF someday.  I was lucky to meet Raines in Cooperstown a couple of years ago and got his autograph.  The show in Chantilly looks like it will be a great one to go to. 

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #324: October 29, 2007, 11:14:13 PM »
Hey Eddie!  There's a decent sprinkling of Natspos fans down here at any given game...you'll need to make a road trip in 2008!