Author Topic: Welcome New Members, Introduce Yourself!  (Read 414985 times)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Re: Welcome New Members, Introduce Yourself!
« Reply #175: April 11, 2007, 12:19:05 AM »
My name is Arch and I saw my first Nationals game in 1950 as a 12 yr. old at Griffith Stadium against the Yankes and Joe D., no less. Needless to say I saw my share of losses but I  felt really robbed when the old Senators went to Minnesota.  Never really embellished the new Senators, except for Hondo, of course and was not as upset when they went to Texas.  Never became an Orioles fan, although one of my best friends from high school, Mont, Blair, Steve Barber, became the Orioles first 20 game winner.  I was absolutely thrilled when the new Nationals arrived and went to a number of games the first two seasons. Have not been this year mainly because my old bones can't handle the cold and truthfully, I am not thrilled with the Kasten approach to this year's team. I know the game plan is to "grow" a team for the future, but fans are paying good money this year to see what?  This current team might have five major league calibre players, two of whom are definitely not, Ray King and Ronnie Belliard.  Neither could make any other team in the bigs, but that is the plan so the faithful will have to pay and wait.  I enjoy reading comments from young fans as it connects me with the past (my day) and the present (yours), and this is definitley a diverse group on this forum, which makes it very enjoyable.

Welcome to the forum! :)

Don't feel too bad about not having been to any games this year.  I've only been to one so far, and so far it's been the only one that was even worth going to! :lol:

As for the "Kasten plan," you'll find plenty of people here who will stick up for him, but you'll also find plenty who share your thoughts about it as well.  You're right about the diversity of opinions we have here, and none of us are afraid to voice them! ;)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #176: April 11, 2007, 11:11:42 AM »
With regard to your last sentence, this is your day, too. The past should just make yours a more informed baseball opinion, which we welcome.

My name is Arch and I saw my first Nationals game in 1950 as a 12 yr. old at Griffith Stadium against the Yankes and Joe D., no less. Needless to say I saw my share of losses but I  felt really robbed when the old Senators went to Minnesota.  Never really embellished the new Senators, except for Hondo, of course and was not as upset when they went to Texas.  Never became an Orioles fan, although one of my best friends from high school, Mont, Blair, Steve Barber, became the Orioles first 20 game winner.  I was absolutely thrilled when the new Nationals arrived and went to a number of games the first two seasons. Have not been this year mainly because my old bones can't handle the cold and truthfully, I am not thrilled with the Kasten approach to this year's team. I know the game plan is to "grow" a team for the future, but fans are paying good money this year to see what?  This current team might have five major league calibre players, two of whom are definitely not, Ray King and Ronnie Belliard.  Neither could make any other team in the bigs, but that is the plan so the faithful will have to pay and wait.  I enjoy reading comments from young fans as it connects me with the past (my day) and the present (yours), and this is definitley a diverse group on this forum, which makes it very enjoyable.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #177: April 11, 2007, 03:25:41 PM »
I am not thrilled with the Kasten approach to this year's team. I know the game plan is to "grow" a team for the future, but fans are paying good money this year to see what?

Welcome aboard and I'm hoping we can get a lot of posts out of you.

A thought hit me when I read the part your post that says, "the game plan is to "grow" a team for the future" and that thought was, oh my God, the poor fans that are going to have to walk through all the manure the Nats will need to get that plan to "grow". When the wrong kind of fertilizer is used, it can quickly have an adverse effect on whatever it is you're trying to grow. I'm glad I don't live close enough to get to the games, because if I was, I'd be backing "the plan" 40 to 60 times a season like I was doing when the team was in that "other" city. You know, that city with the big oh so ugly flower pot for a stadium...

You're absolutely right when you say, fans will be paying good money to see a product that is not Major League caliber. The Nats experiment is being financed by fans and some daring sponsors. And what's a big part of the marketing plan? "Give us your hard earned money now while the team stinks, because if you don't, you'll be last in line to get into our new home." Seems to me they could get a ton more fans to buy into the plan if they fielded a team that was able to be competitive more than once a week.

Oh oh, my bad, I started ranting and forgot to hit the breaks.

seadogsrock6

« Reply #178: April 13, 2007, 07:27:59 AM »
Hey I just joined last night and the nats won...hopefully for the time that i am here, they will win every night!

so my name is brooks, im 16, i don't live in the d.c area, but i am a big nats fan because my dad grew up in montreal and went to about every game haha. I watch almost every game on MLB.TV so i can stay in touch with the team.

thanks for accepting me. later.

WshNats

« Reply #179: April 13, 2007, 09:18:11 AM »
Hello everyone, I'm Shawn from Hanover Pa., grew up in Pasadena Md, moved up here 3 yrs ago w/my Wife and our 2 children. 

I'm a huge Skins fan and have season tickets (sit in Sect 442), my love for baseball and the Expos moving to DC several yrs ago naturally made me a Nats fan.

Look forward to posting on here, seems to be a very nice board.

Thanks Alot

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
« Reply #180: April 13, 2007, 03:04:25 PM »
Hello everyone, I'm Shawn from Hanover Pa., grew up in Pasadena Md, moved up here 3 yrs ago w/my Wife and our 2 children. 

I'm a huge Skins fan and have season tickets (sit in Sect 442), my love for baseball and the Expos moving to DC several yrs ago naturally made me a Nats fan.

Look forward to posting on here, seems to be a very nice board.

Thanks Alot
Welcome WshNats and seadogsrock6!  Join the forum...it's going to be an interesting season.

Offline Expose

« Reply #181: April 20, 2007, 10:38:40 PM »
Hi...I was a Montreal Expos fan, founder of Encore Baseball Montreal, season ticket holder for the last two years in Montreal. Fan of the Nats...I have been at RFK in Nats first year and I have been in DC quite often.

Every real Expos fan has to be a patient fan...still the case in DC...

Offline saltydad

« Reply #182: April 21, 2007, 11:50:48 PM »
Welcome Saltydad!  It's great to no longer be the senior poster on the forum   :lol:

You're not the only one stuck with MASN'less Dish Network.  If I swapped out for Direct TV, my wife would immediately see through any false motives I could put forth, and I'm stretching the bounds of Nats fandom as it is, in her eyes.  Besides, putting Nats on TV everynight would be like putting a well stocked bar in an alcoholic's house, and I can only handle one out of control obsession at a time.

Look forward to your insights, and don't forget to stop by the game thread while games are in progress.  There are worse ways to spend an evening than listening to Charlie and Dave while venting with your fellow Nats fans here. 

Cheers.

So now that we have MASN on Dish, I hope things are quiet in the household, or are you deliberatly not watching all the games?  :lol:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #183: April 23, 2007, 11:10:32 AM »

So now that we have MASN on Dish, I hope things are quiet in the household, or are you deliberatly not watching all the games?  :lol:

We have yet to work out an accomodation that is mutually satisfactory.  I can tell you this is going to be a point of contention until we can figure something out.  We have one TV in the master bedroom, and the other is in the (cold) basement.  My wife is not going to watch the Colbert Report or M*A*S*H in the basement, I can assure you.

But as much as I loathe MASN, having the Nats available on TV is a good thing.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #184: April 23, 2007, 03:02:53 PM »
Isn't the accomodation to pay the $5 per month for a second box? Or do you just not want to be in the basement?

The way the season is going, you won't want to watch every game anyway. I listen to about half of them on the radio. That way, I can do something else at the same time... the beauty of radio.

We have yet to work out an accomodation that is mutually satisfactory.  I can tell you this is going to be a point of contention until we can figure something out.  We have one TV in the master bedroom, and the other is in the (cold) basement.  My wife is not going to watch the Colbert Report or M*A*S*H in the basement, I can assure you.

But as much as I loathe MASN, having the Nats available on TV is a good thing.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #185: April 23, 2007, 04:58:24 PM »
Isn't the accomodation to pay the $5 per month for a second box? Or do you just not want to be in the basement?

What I'm saying is, we only have two TV's, though both are connected to Dish Network.  I just don't want to be in the basement at 10:57 p.m. praying Chad can figure a way out of his latest predicament.

nats1derful

« Reply #186: April 28, 2007, 12:50:48 PM »
I joined back in March, but haven't spent much time here yet, and just noticed this Welcome forum.  I mostly hang out at Natsfanatics Chatter board, and occasionally Dugout Chatter - this forum looks pretty interesting.  I'm a diehard Nats Fan from Day 1, full season ticket holder from day 1, failed Racing President contestant and oldest person to try out (52) by about 12 years, and even though I won my heat against 3 guys half my age, didn't make the cut.  Just as well - I get to see more of the action from my seats than I would have inside the Prez suit.  I am enjoying this season just as much as the first two - I just love having a home team to root for, complain about, laugh about, and all that goes with it.  Beats the heck out of trying to get into a team from the wrong league, with the wrong owner, and lose an entire day going to and from a ball game at.  Go Nats!

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #187: April 28, 2007, 01:35:46 PM »
Welcome nats1derful, make yourself at home! :D

chitownnatsfan

« Reply #188: May 01, 2007, 09:31:15 PM »
My name is Mike, I'm an Aries, I have brown hair, green eyes, I love to dance...Oh, sorry. I confused this with match.com.

Seriously, my name is Mike and as my posting name suggests, I do live in Chicago and am a diehard White Sox fan. However, my favorite National League team is the Nationals. I found a link to this site and signed up.

Coupla questions:

1. Does anyone know where I can buy a Ryan Zimmerman (name on the back) t-shirt online? I've looked to no avail. For that matter, anyone know of any websites that sell Senators t-shirts?

2. I'm thinking of going to DC this season to see a game or two. How is parking around RFK? As for hotels, is there anything close to RFK? Finally, how safe is the area around RFK?

Thanks and Go Nats! I hope they sweep the Cubs this weekend for more reasons than one.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #189: May 01, 2007, 09:32:50 PM »
My name is Mike, I'm an Aries, I have brown hair, green eyes, I love to dance...Oh, sorry. I confused this with match.com.

:rofl:

Welcome to the board!

I'm sure E-bay has some for sale.  I would also check the MLB.com shop, although I haven't been impressed with their selection in the past.

I've never actually been to RFK, but I hear the parking's terrible.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #190: May 01, 2007, 09:38:16 PM »
1. Does anyone know where I can buy a Ryan Zimmerman (name on the back) t-shirt online? I've looked to no avail. For that matter, anyone know of any websites that sell Senators t-shirts?

2. I'm thinking of going to DC this season to see a game or two. How is parking around RFK? As for hotels, is there anything close to RFK? Finally, how safe is the area around RFK?

Thanks and Go Nats! I hope they sweep the Cubs this weekend for more reasons than one.
Welcome to the forum Mike.  Are you looking for a replica jersey with Zimmerman's name on the back?  Or what specifically?  Senators t-shirts might be a rare find.  I don't think you will be able to find any of those.  I wouldn't stay in Washington if you are planning on coming here.  Get a cheap room at a chain hotel like Days Inn or Red Roof in Alexandria or Fairfax County, Virginia.  Then take the subway to the stadium.  The area around the stadium is safe during the day and after a game so long as you don't stray off the beaten path and get seperated from the stadium crowd.  It's a straight line to the subway from RFK and you can't get lost.  Hope to see you both here and there!  :pimp:

chitownnatsfan

« Reply #191: May 01, 2007, 10:00:12 PM »
Thanks for the welcome. The Zimmerman t-shirt I was looking for was something like they have on MLB.com for example for the White Sox. They have the team logo on the front and the player's number and name on the back. The only Nats' one I've seen on there was for Nick Johnson.

How far is Fairfax from RFK? Is parking really that horrible around RFK?

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #192: May 01, 2007, 10:08:58 PM »
Thanks for the welcome. The Zimmerman t-shirt I was looking for was something like they have on MLB.com for example for the White Sox. They have the team logo on the front and the player's number and name on the back. The only Nats' one I've seen on there was for Nick Johnson.

How far is Fairfax from RFK? Is parking really that horrible around RFK?
Fairfax is about a 20 min drive to RFK...when there's no traffic.  But that's a rarity...that's why you take the subway from Fairfax to RFK.  The stadium has it's own subway station.  If you DO decide to drive to the stadium there is plenty of parking but you have to pay $15 to get in the lots and usually a traffic jam to get out.  Plus the way out and back to Virginia can be easily confusing...so I always recommend Metro for those who are not familiar with the city.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #193: May 04, 2007, 10:04:26 AM »
I live in Fairfax.  When I ride down w/ my dad (who lives in Ashburn and takes me w/ him sometimes), it takes us about 40-60 minutes (given traffic).  We go to lot 8 to park.  Metro will take a full hour to get there, so you'll have to allow 15 min. to get from car to train and 15 from train to RFK.  Where in fairfax are you?

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #194: May 04, 2007, 01:46:30 PM »
I live in Fairfax.  When I ride down w/ my dad (who lives in Ashburn and takes me w/ him sometimes), it takes us about 40-60 minutes (given traffic).  We go to lot 8 to park.  Metro will take a full hour to get there, so you'll have to allow 15 min. to get from car to train and 15 from train to RFK.  Where in fairfax are you?
He's not in Fairfax Kim...he's coming from out of town.  I suggested he stay in Northern Virginia instead of in the city.  Fairfax was one of my suggestions, along with Alexandria or Arlington.  Since he is unfamiliar with the area, I suggested he take the subway because you know how confusing it can be finding your way back to VA if you don't know what you're doing.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #195: May 05, 2007, 02:27:11 AM »
Oh yeah.  Ok, I take back what I said!  OOPS!

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #196: May 05, 2007, 05:31:24 PM »
Hi...I was a Montreal Expos fan, founder of Encore Baseball Montreal, season ticket holder for the last two years in Montreal. Fan of the Nats...I have been at RFK in Nats first year and I have been in DC quite often.
Every real Expos fan has to be a patient fan...still the case in DC...

If you attended the long rain-delayed Cubs game in 2005, I sat in front of an Expos fan, under cover in the lower deck.  I gave him a free cola to drink, in case that was you.  Sorry they're not giving you much to watch this year. 

joker

« Reply #197: May 13, 2007, 09:58:04 AM »
hello i am a huge nats fan and this forum just seemed like it was filled with the most hardcore nats fans I had ever seen....so yeah thats why i joined

Offline kimnat

« Reply #198: May 13, 2007, 11:39:35 AM »
Welcome!!  Hope you enjoy it here!

joker

« Reply #199: May 13, 2007, 11:40:32 AM »
thank you its been real fun so far