Author Topic: Current/Former Military  (Read 17032 times)

Offline heeman82

Current/Former Military
« Topic Start: March 21, 2011, 12:07:50 AM »
Curious if any other WNFF members have served in our nation's military, or are thinking of joining.  Served 6 years in USMC reserve (2003-2009), MOS 1833 Assault Amphibian Crewman.  One tour in Iraq (2008).

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
Re: Current/Former Military
« Reply #1: March 21, 2011, 01:24:37 AM »
I have not, but thank you for your service (and thanks to other current/former military as well).

Offline blue911

« Reply #2: March 21, 2011, 07:03:50 AM »
I signed up for the draft in '74. They promptly ended the draft.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #3: March 21, 2011, 07:49:10 AM »
ft. polk, LA 1999-2003, 92A.

no overseas tours.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #4: March 21, 2011, 08:39:22 AM »

I never registered for the draft.

(there was no draft registration when I came of age)

Saltydad's a Vietnam vet.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #5: March 21, 2011, 08:54:15 AM »
The whole idea of a draft is a farce.  The military needs to have those who want to be in the military.  Having citizens forced to join the military only decreases the overall ability of the military to function well and be effective.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #6: March 21, 2011, 09:04:34 AM »
The whole idea of a draft is a farce.  The military needs to have those who want to be in the military.  Having citizens forced to join the military only decreases the overall ability of the military to function well and be effective.

It's really just a backup mechanism in case volunteer recruitment isn't sufficient, right?

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #7: March 21, 2011, 09:29:19 AM »
No service.  Thank you for everyone who has served.

I have packed care packages with the USO at Ft. Belvoir.

Participate in Wreaths Across America every Dec.

Has friends who have served and one helps run Honor Flights for WWII vets!

SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #8: March 21, 2011, 09:40:55 AM »
Curious if any other WNFF members have served in our nation's military, or are thinking of joining.  Served 6 years in USMC reserve (2003-2009), MOS 1833 Assault Amphibian Crewman.  One tour in Iraq (2008).

9 years in the U.S. Army, Ordnance Corps.  Got my commission via ROTC in 1992, resigned it in 2001.  I picked the wrong time to join the Army as the post-Gulf War draw-down was in full swing, so I served a few short stints as a IMA, and attended 5 months of Office Basic Course.  Most of my time was spent in the IRR.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #9: March 21, 2011, 09:42:15 AM »

I've always had mixed feelings on the draft, in some ways I think this would be a better country if everyone had to server 2 years, and it might make our leaders less reluctant to commit forces to combat without public support.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #10: March 21, 2011, 12:21:42 PM »
Echoing Nathan:

I have not, but thank you for your service (and thanks to other current/former military as well).

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #11: March 21, 2011, 12:29:03 PM »
Drafted 1970  -   11B

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #12: March 21, 2011, 12:53:08 PM »
Never served but have a lot of family and friends that have. Thanks to all of you for your service to this country.

Offline heeman82

« Reply #13: March 23, 2011, 06:20:42 PM »
Drafted 1970  -   11B

You the man.

Offline heeman82

« Reply #14: March 23, 2011, 06:23:38 PM »
if everyone had to server 2 years, and it might make our leaders less reluctant to commit forces to combat without public support.

This is interesting.. I like it.  Although let's face it,  there are a ton of Americans who just don't belong in the military.  Whatever happened to judges offering criminals the option to join in lieu of jail time?  Then again, I may have just contradicted myself.

Offline blue911

« Reply #15: March 23, 2011, 06:30:25 PM »
This is interesting.. I like it.  Although let's face it,  there are a ton of Americans who just don't belong in the military. Whatever happened to judges offering criminals the option to join in lieu of jail time? Then again, I may have just contradicted myself.

I know a few guys that enlisted based on judicial advice. But they were more hell raisers than criminals.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #16: March 23, 2011, 07:15:00 PM »
Whatever happened to judges offering criminals the option to join in lieu of jail time?

They still do in Texas, at least they did as of a couple of years ago.

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #17: March 24, 2011, 01:43:23 PM »
Cough. That was an option for a certain family member of mine. Cough.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #18: March 24, 2011, 07:02:57 PM »
Hmmm. WASN'T Timothy McVeigh in the Army?  One example of the criminal element.   Great,  give hardened criminals knowledge on how to use bombs & guns!  :roll:

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #19: March 24, 2011, 07:14:07 PM »
Not hardened criminals.  Something more minor.  So instead of spending a year in jail, they'd instead enlist.  Not murderers or rapists or anything like that.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #20: March 24, 2011, 07:16:10 PM »
 :mg:
Not hardened criminals.  Something more minor.  So instead of spending a year in jail, they'd instead enlist.  Not murderers or rapists or anything like that.

Cool!  I'm all for 2nd chances.   RICHARD GERE an OFFICER AND A GENTLEMAN!

Offline heeman82

« Reply #21: March 25, 2011, 02:40:03 AM »
I had an Army recruiter recently offer me a ONE year contract (because I have prior service) for the Army Reserve.  If I wasn't anxiously awaiting a hiring decision from a federal agency I might have him find me a unit ready to deploy for a year, and just go.  I hate the idea of being able to help out and not doing so, plus my current civilian job isn't all that much fun!

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #22: March 25, 2011, 11:04:12 AM »
Never served but most of my family did.

Both grandfathers were Air Force. Grandmother on my dad's side was Air Force as well. Dad was drafted for Vietnam.

I salute all of you that have served.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #23: March 26, 2011, 12:37:54 AM »
Medal of Honor Day article-

"At a moment in time, these men dug deep into their heart and soul. They exhibited extraordinary courage as they selflessly risked their own life to protect their comrades.

They earned our nation's highest military medal – the Medal of Honor.

During the Vietnam War, 246 heroes were awarded the Medal of Honor, 155 posthumously. The Medal of Honor was created by an Act of Congress and signed into law by President Abraham Lincoln in December, 1861. March 25 was selected as the date for National Medal of Honor Day because it was on this date in 1863 that the medal was first awarded to six soldiers.

"Any nation that does not honor its heroes
will not long endure." – President Lincoln

VVMF chose 2011 – the 150th anniversary of the establishment of the Medal of Honor – as the year to express our profound respect to all recipients of this medal.

Please join me in taking a few moments to think about warriors like these two men whose stories I want to share with you. They both posthumously received the Medal of Honor and were killed in action on September 4, 1967 in the same battle: Operation Swift in Quang Tin Province.

Lawrence David Peters, Sgt, USMC (honored on Panel 25E, Row 108): He volunteered for a second tour in Vietnam. As a squad leader for Mike Company his unit came under intense fire from an entrenched enemy position. Peters maneuvered his squad in an assault on an enemy defended knoll. Enemy rounds hit all about him yet he stood in the open pointing out enemy positions until painfully injured in the leg from mortars. He continued to lead his men forward.

They became temporarily pinned down and he exposed himself to devastating enemy fire to consolidate their position and to render more effective fire. He was wounded a second time from a mortar round. When the enemy attempted to infiltrate the position of an adjacent platoon, Peters stood erect without cover and fired burst after burst. This forced the enemy to disclose their camouflaged positions. He continued firing until critically hit in his chest by a gunshot. Although he couldn't walk or stand he continued to direct his squad and was hit by enemy fire two more times. Finally he lost consciousness and succumbed to his extensive wounds.

Vincent R. Capodanno, LT, Chaplain, USN (honored on Panel 25E, Row 95): One of the gentle heroes of Vietnam, he was affectionately known to the Marines as the Grunt Padre. While visiting Mike Company on patrol, they were struck with mortars and automatic weapons fire. He jumped out of his hole to answer the cries of wounded Marines screaming for help. He began praying with the wounded and giving the last rites. A mortar round injured his arms and legs and blew off part of his right hand. He refused medical aid and kept moving among the wounded and dead. Finally he saw a wounded corpsman in the line of fire of an enemy machine gunner. LT Capodanno dared to help the mortally wounded corpsman 15 yards away. Within inches of his goal he was struck down by machine gun fire. He was last seen alive praying over a dead man.
Two men different in so many ways. Yet what they had in common was not hesitating to place the needs of another before themselves. They repeatedly risked their lives to help others which resulted in their deaths. Courage, selflessness, patriotism and sacrifice are values that unite all Medal of Honor recipients. We’re free because of the sacrifices they made. God bless all these heroes. And God bless you for taking a few moments of silence to say thank you, and to think about their sacrifices."

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #24: March 26, 2011, 03:58:47 PM »
Thanks Salty!  This is just one of the reminders of what the guys in Uniform do for us (be it military uniform or Police or Firemen)