Author Topic: Vent Thread  (Read 7973 times)

Offline cg1

Re: Vent Thread
« Reply #75: October 13, 2012, 02:12:37 AM »
Oh, and WTF was with Davey goofing around and not making pitching changes when they were obviously needed? Gio should have gotten yanked much earlier than he did and Edwin should have been pulled almost immediately.

Davey left Gio in too long cause he wanted him to get 5 in so he'd be in line for the win.  I think he brought in Edwin to see if he could earn some redemption from his last few sucky performances against the Cards.  Clippard was the same as always - he gave up a would-be home run in Game 4 too, it was just foul by about 15-20 feet. Storen, bah! It's all been said.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #76: October 13, 2012, 02:13:45 AM »
Davey left Gio in too long cause he wanted him to get 5 in so he'd be in line for the win.  I think he brought in Edwin to see if he could earn some redemption from his last few sucky performances against the Cards. 
I would hope that a major league manager would be above managing on emotional reasoning like that.

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #77: October 13, 2012, 02:15:00 AM »
I just can't believe these bums blew a 6-0 lead.

How does that happen.

How does that freaking happen.

If Johnson's last name was Riggleman I would fire his ass before he could have spoken to the team.

And E-Jax, enjoy being Bo Porter's ace down in Houston.

Hey Morse, enjoy being a DH for the Mariners or Indians next season.

Yo Espi, it's not cute any more. You sucked the whole season.

Desmond, I'm cutting you a break, but you're back at even after that. It's the playoffs. You make that play.

Harper, d00d, you can't swing at an eye level ball.

Suzuki, seriously, put your glove in the middle of the plate and make him throw a real pitch.

Gio.... No more joking around. I can't see that again. Get serious. Control yourself. BE AN ACE!!! YOU WERE GIVEN A 6-0 LEAD! WIN THE GAME! YOU BLOW WORSE THAN LUIS ATILANO

Hey Clippard....... Figure it out.

I could keep going but I know I'll regret it tomorrow.

Offline cg1

« Reply #78: October 13, 2012, 02:15:27 AM »
I would hope that a major league manager would be above managing on emotional reasoning like that.

Yes, you would hope that wouldnt you.  Davey was probably trying to psych them up for the, ahem, next series.

Offline BigMeech

« Reply #79: October 13, 2012, 02:21:00 AM »
Have Terry Francona pull a Bill Belichick and resign as Cleveland's manager and become our manager if Davey steps down.

Throw all the money at him.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #80: October 13, 2012, 02:23:29 AM »
I blame almost all of this on Davey. It never should have gotten to the point where a comeback could have happened. Hell, it never should have required Storen being in the game at all! In the playoffs, especially elimination games, you freaking pull pitchers when they start to lose it. When Gio started losing it in the fifth against the bottom of the Cards' lineup, he should have been pulled. Yeah, it was only a couple of runs, but you can't let teams like St. Louis get back in to games like that! When you have a lead, you freaking clamp down!

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #81: October 13, 2012, 02:26:25 AM »
WARNING: Excessively sunshiny. Please don't read if you don't want positive thoughts.

Finally got back from the game, the Metro ride took forever.

All I want to say is THANK YOU NATS for the absolute ride. Today was an absolute heartbreaker. But it doesn't erase the last 6 months of absolute gold this team has been. 6 months of cheering hard, being cautiously optimistic about our future. 6 months of doubting that we'd make the playoffs, only to be absolutely stunned we came out not only best in the NL East but best in the whole damn league!! We broke every expectation, every prediction. It was nuts.

I have memories that I will last an absolute lifetime. The stuff of over the top stories told to children and grandchildren. I will be proud to talk about being in the stands Jayson's Werth's walkoff win, for singing Take On Me as loud as I possibly could when the Nats clinched the number one seed. For screaming at the first grand slam of the season. For being able to see the Nats win at Camden yards. To see Tyler Moore literally explode in Toronto. Getting to see Bryce Harper literally grow before our eyes. Staying up to watch the Nats beat the Mets in extra innings. Seeing Bernadina's game-saving grab in Houston. And that barely scratches the surface.

Nothing that happened today took that away. Nothing COULD take these memories away from me.

As a new fan this year, I have been incredibly lucky. I am so thankful.

And I know we'll be back next year. We'll be back. Count on it. Count on it.

These are the men that dreamed. These are the men who fought. And they'll continue to fight. I know it.

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #82: October 13, 2012, 02:27:58 AM »
Maybe this should be moved to Uncensored. I get the image of Cardinals fans pleasuring themselves to this thread.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #83: October 13, 2012, 02:28:42 AM »
Better at bats. They don't waste as many at bats as we do chasing pitches and trying to blast homers all the time....

EXACTLY.

People are nagging about the Cardinals barely getting in the playoffs as the second wild card.  Remember last season?  They sneaked in as the wild card thanks only to Atlanta's late-season collapse and won the championship after fighting off nearly being eliminated by the Rangers.  I don't know what it is, but when it comes time to step up, they do just that and then some.  They had a patient approach at the plate, taking close pitches that weren't in the zone and just trying to put the ball in play.  It worked, as evidenced by the game-tying and go-ahead SINGLES in the ninth.  We swung for the fences and it didn't work.  Our situational hitting has sucked all season.  If it wasn't for a combination of a Tyler Moore bloop hit and Werth's home run-robbing catch in game one, we wouldn't even be here tonight.  We made it to tonight because of some good luck and it ran out.   Aside from the first and third innings tonight, we have not had a single offensive rally this series. 

Some things I pin on Davey:  Why did Jackson pitch?  Why not Mattheus?  Why didn't Gorzellany pitch at all this series?  And after the game was tied, they should have walked Kozma.  That guy's killed us this series and a walk would have set up a force at every base and forced the Cardinals to either bat Motte or lift him.  They should never have pitched to that prick in that situation.

Also, as many others have mentioned, Johnson is way too loyal with some folks.  Girardi benched A-Rod and Davey should have done the same with Espinosa.

One thing that makes me feel a little better:  The team with the second-best record in baseball is also out.  The Reds took the first two games in San Francisco, including a 9-0 2-hitter, and then came home to lose three in a row - something they hadn't done all season.  They only needed to win one game at home and they couldn't do it.  Baseball's a strange sport.

No way Jackson's back next year.  Who knows what will happen, but remember that Lannan no longer has options - I think he could have at least done as well as Jackson's 10-11 and 4ish ERA this season.  Hopefully a full year of Strasburg, plus a more experienced JZimm will be a great anchor for the rotation.  If Detwiler can keep doing what he did last night, he'll be a key piece.  Gio will be good again too.  Rizzo does need to find another everyday bat - perhaps there's an in-house answer in someone like Tyler Moore.  I'd love to see Espinosa dumped or traded in favor of Lombo, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.  We'll see what happens. 

It's been a fun ride and I wish you all the best...

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #84: October 13, 2012, 02:28:57 AM »
Maybe this should be moved to Uncensored. I get the image of Cardinals fans pleasuring themselves to this thread.
I don't care so long as they aren't posting about it.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #85: October 13, 2012, 02:29:24 AM »
Finally got back from the game, the Metro ride took forever.

All I want to say is THANK YOU NATS for the absolute ride. Today was an absolute heartbreaker. But it doesn't erase the last 6 months of absolute gold this team has been. 6 months of cheering hard, being cautiously optimistic about our future. 6 months of doubting that we'd make the playoffs, only to be absolutely stunned we came out not only best in the NL East but best in the whole damn league!! We broke every expectation, every prediction. It was nuts.

I have memories that I will last an absolute lifetime. The stuff of over the top stories told to children and grandchildren. I will be proud to talk about being in the stands Jayson's Werth's walkoff win, for singing Take On Me as loud as I possibly could when the Nats clinched the number one seed. For screaming at the first grand slam of the season. For being able to see the Nats win at Camden yards. To see Tyler Moore literally explode in Toronto. Getting to see Bryce Harper literally grow before our eyes. Staying up to watch the Nats beat the Mets in extra innings. Seeing Bernadina's game-saving grab in Houston. And that barely scratches the surface.

Nothing that happened today took that away. Nothing COULD take these memories away from me.

As a new fan this year, I have been incredibly lucky. I am so thankful.

And I know we'll be back next year. We'll be back. Count on it. Count on it.

These are the men that dreamed. These are the men who fought. And they'll continue to fight. I know it.

Glad you have perspective, but you should really make some happy-sunshine thread.

Offline ZManChoo

« Reply #86: October 13, 2012, 02:29:58 AM »
No doubt in my mind that 30 years from now I will still remember this freaken game and how we were one freaken strike away from victory numerous times and choked the game away. I don't want to hear about our "great future" right now after we just puked away a 6 run lead at home with a college football crowd to aid the team! I've waited my whole lifetime to see this game and to lose like this!?! So pissed! So crushed! No chance of sleeping!

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #87: October 13, 2012, 02:30:13 AM »
I don't care so long as they aren't posting about it.

This.  We have to have some open forum to vent.  Just as long as they don't come in here and troll us, it doesn't matter.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #88: October 13, 2012, 02:30:49 AM »
Glad you have perspective, but you should really make some happy-sunshine thread.

Well that's how I freaking vent. Sorry. I'll put a warning on the top  :lol:

Offline jhuterp

« Reply #89: October 13, 2012, 02:32:39 AM »
I blame almost all of this on Davey. It never should have gotten to the point where a comeback could have happened. Hell, it never should have required Storen being in the game at all! In the playoffs, especially elimination games, you freaking pull pitchers when they start to lose it. When Gio started losing it in the fifth against the bottom of the Cards' lineup, he should have been pulled. Yeah, it was only a couple of runs, but you can't let teams like St. Louis get back in to games like that! When you have a lead, you freaking clamp down!

You could see the whole Cards comeback unfolding when Gio was melting down in the fifth.  The Nats had their foot on the Cards throats when it was 6-1 and Gio put them back in the game....I was on the concourse and talking with another fan watching Gio lose it on the monitor, we agreed the Nats were probably doomed.....That was really bad but for some reason I'm not as pissed as I thought I would be.

Offline BigMeech

« Reply #90: October 13, 2012, 02:34:13 AM »
Better at bats. They don't waste as many at bats as we do chasing pitches and trying to blast homers all the time....

The entire team seems to have that mentality, and unless we miraculously came upon eight starting players who have the same mentality, that falls on the hitting coach.  Fire Eckstein.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #91: October 13, 2012, 02:35:12 AM »
It all went downhill after the horrible decision to bring jackson in to pitch.
Also, Espi needs to go this offseason.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #92: October 13, 2012, 02:35:15 AM »
The entire team seems to have that mentality, and unless we miraculously came upon eight starting players who have the same mentality, that falls on the hitting coach.  Fire Eckstein.

:clap:

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #93: October 13, 2012, 02:36:06 AM »
Fire Eckstein.
Year after year, it always comes back to this.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #94: October 13, 2012, 02:38:12 AM »
Year after year, it always comes back to this.

Our situational hitting freaking sucks.  We put runners on base and can't even advance them because everyone's trying to freaking hit a grand freaking slam in every at bat.  They can't be patient and just put the freaking ball in play...

Offline BigMeech

« Reply #95: October 13, 2012, 02:38:13 AM »
Also not pleased how almost none of our pitchers have an ability to consistently get ahead in the count but that doesn't fall on McCatty (hopefully) so I'm not going to call for his head.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #96: October 13, 2012, 02:40:05 AM »
Also not pleased how almost none of our pitchers have an ability to consistently get ahead in the count but that doesn't fall on McCatty (hopefully) so I'm not going to call for his head.

That wasn't so much of a problem prior to this series, so perhaps we can pin that on nervousness or the wear and tear of a long season.  Detwiler figured it out, but none of the more "experienced" pitchers like Gio or Jackson did.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #97: October 13, 2012, 02:40:36 AM »
Fire Eckstein.

Who else do you get? Serious question.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #98: October 13, 2012, 02:42:30 AM »
Our situational hitting freaking sucks.  We put runners on base and can't even advance them because everyone's trying to freaking hit a grand freaking slam in every at bat.  They can't be patient and just put the freaking ball in play...
And it hasn't been just this season. It's been a problem since I started watching the Nats avidly four years ago.

Offline BigMeech

« Reply #99: October 13, 2012, 02:43:08 AM »
Who else do you get? Serious question.

Someone who doesn't install a mentality to swing for the fences every time you get to the plate.

We'd probably strike out and lot less too.