Author Topic: Where does Strasburg go now?  (Read 3324 times)

Offline NFA Brian

• Nationals Farm Authority
Re: Where does Strasburg go now?
« Reply #25: August 18, 2009, 03:56:35 PM »
Wouldn't shock me to see him mirror Brian Matusz' 2009. Start in Carolina League for roughly 8-10 starts. Go to the Eastern League for another 8-10 starts. And then MLB debut in July timeframe

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #26: August 18, 2009, 04:08:47 PM »
Wouldn't shock me to see him mirror Brian Matusz' 2009. Start in Carolina League for roughly 8-10 starts. Go to the Eastern League for another 8-10 starts. And then MLB debut in July timeframe

The LAC crowd will be convinced they'll hold him past the super 2 point.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #27: August 18, 2009, 04:09:39 PM »
The LAC crowd will be convinced they'll hold him past the super 2 point.

haha, i'm not taking the bait.

I have faith the Nats will develop him the right way and will bring him up when he's ready.

Offline Skinz72

• Say hello to the DL-inator!!
« Reply #28: August 18, 2009, 05:21:22 PM »
There shouldn't be a set time table for this guy.  He's got to be handled like a regular middle of the road grunt, IMO.  Let him perform, take instruction, learn the pro system and speed, get comfortbale with the level of batters, and let him stay there until his skill dominates that level.  Setting aside a planned progression is the wrong way to go and could set him up for failure.  He's got to earn his place, and feel like he earned it rather than merely handed to him.   That's how its done with every other player.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #29: August 18, 2009, 05:21:27 PM »
Looking forward to seeing this kid at spring training next year.

Offline tripan1035

« Reply #30: August 18, 2009, 11:49:04 PM »
This is kind of what the O's did with Matusz last year.  Conditioned him a bit, sent him to the AFL, then started him in high A the following year.  When do P-Nats opening day tickets go on sale?  Love to see Stras throwing to Norris.
SS throwing to Norris might be worth the price of admission.  Unless he improves his receiving skills, Norris could set a league record for passed balls in one game.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #31: August 19, 2009, 09:01:40 AM »
The correct answer to the titular question is:

"Anywhere that has lots of hookers and blow."

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #32: August 27, 2009, 07:06:41 AM »
Anyone know where Strasburg is and has a plan been finalized for the remainder of this season (other than the AFL)?

« Reply #33: August 27, 2009, 07:53:30 AM »
Anyone know where Strasburg is and has a plan been finalized for the remainder of this season (other than the AFL)?

He is in Viera, Florida getting back into game shape. He hasn't pitched competitive ball since May.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #34: August 27, 2009, 08:19:50 AM »
He is in Viera, Florida getting back into game shape. He hasn't pitched competitive ball since May.

Do you know with certainty that he's in Viera?

« Reply #35: August 27, 2009, 08:30:30 AM »
Do you know with certainty that he's in Viera?

I'm 99% sure. There was an article on Nationals.com about a week ago saying he would be spending three or four days in DC then moving onto Viera. Rizzo also mentioned it on Blogger's Day.

I don't say 100% sure because who ever is sure with this team?

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #36: August 27, 2009, 08:38:51 AM »
I don't say 100% sure because who ever is sure with this team?

Exactly. You'd think by now we'd see some pics of him in a Nats uni working out.  Unless he hasn't even gotten there yet.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #37: August 27, 2009, 08:43:01 AM »
There shouldn't be a set time table for this guy.  He's got to be handled like a regular middle of the road grunt, IMO.  Let him perform, take instruction, learn the pro system and speed, get comfortbale with the level of batters, and let him stay there until his skill dominates that level.  Setting aside a planned progression is the wrong way to go and could set him up for failure.  He's got to earn his place, and feel like he earned it rather than merely handed to him.   That's how its done with every other player.

Totally agree, this is the right way to break him in to the system.  Cream will rise to the top.

« Reply #38: August 27, 2009, 08:58:35 AM »
Exactly. You'd think by now we'd see some pics of him in a Nats uni working out.  Unless he hasn't even gotten there yet.

I'd keep checking Florida Today, a rag that serves Viera and is very Nats friendly. I just checked it a little bit and couldn't find any pictures, but I did find this:

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2009908190323

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #39: August 27, 2009, 09:15:51 AM »
From NJ on Tuesday:
Strasburg, currently in San Diego with his family, will fly to Washington's spring training facility in Viera, Fla., on Saturday. He'll remain there for several weeks, working with minor league pitching coordinator Spin Williams. The goal: Let him have a few appearances in the loosely structured Florida Instructional League, and then have him at full strength for the Arizona Fall League, which begins Oct. 13.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #40: August 27, 2009, 09:23:44 AM »
Thanks for the info, DPM.  :thumbs:

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #41: August 27, 2009, 09:48:44 AM »
I really just want to see him start pitching. We've waited a year! Hurry up AFL!

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #42: August 29, 2009, 12:13:19 PM »
I really want him in the minors for as long as possible... I think the longer he stays there, the better he'll be. If we were supposed to be a good team next year, I'd say rush him to help us out, but otherwise I think the longer a player spends developing the better they'll be in the long run. You bring him up early, he'll develop bad habits and a couple bad starts is all it could take to possibly turn him into a head case.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #43: August 29, 2009, 06:44:33 PM »
I really want him in the minors for as long as possible... I think the longer he stays there, the better he'll be.

You mean for 5-6 years or so?  That seems a bit extreme.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #44: August 30, 2009, 03:41:02 PM »
You mean for 5-6 years or so?  That seems a bit extreme.
Within reason... I personally don't want him coming up pre-All-Star break barring us being a halfway decent team that really needs another starter.