Author Topic: Chad Appreciation Thread  (Read 3152 times)

Offline Ray D

Chad Appreciation Thread
« Topic Start: August 25, 2007, 01:33:55 PM »
I doubt many others will join in here .... but I still love you, Chad.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
Re: Chad Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1: August 25, 2007, 01:35:31 PM »
In - I don't have to like what I see all the time, but he's a Nat and I support him.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #2: August 25, 2007, 01:35:34 PM »
WE DO STILL LOVE THE CHIEF.  HE JUST NEEDS TO REGAIN HIS COMPOSURE & RELEARN TO STRIKE OUT THESE GUYS.  CONTACT PITCHING HAS BEEN GIVING US TOO MUCH HEARTBURN.   YEAH CHIEF!

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #3: August 25, 2007, 01:36:20 PM »
I support him but fully question his ability as a major league closer.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #4: August 25, 2007, 01:38:45 PM »
....chirp...chirp....chirp...chirp

Offline kimnat

« Reply #5: August 25, 2007, 01:40:35 PM »
LOL  YOU ARE BAD

natsfan1a

« Reply #6: August 25, 2007, 01:57:33 PM »
I'm in, too.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #7: August 25, 2007, 02:03:13 PM »
I support him but fully question his ability as a major league closer.

Same here...as a closer, he sucks.  Setup for Colome in the future?

Offline metssuck

• Werth on a roll!!!!
« Reply #8: August 25, 2007, 02:12:31 PM »
Tha fact that we have done this thread so many times this season shows how inconsistent that CHif is. I still support him but i doj't support tha fact tha Manny refuses to remove him from tha role as clsoer. He should be long reliever. I prefer ayala and colme and schroder as setup men. I wish Chad all tha luck in tha future, but i hope he gets traded and isn't on tha team next season

Offline DCPSR

• DC Pro Sports Report
« Reply #9: August 25, 2007, 02:19:11 PM »
I am anxiously awaiting Adam Carr. 

« Reply #10: August 25, 2007, 03:37:09 PM »
Not giving up on the Chief, not by a long shot.  If he needed to have a bad season, this is the season to do it.

Offline rich_nats

« Reply #11: August 25, 2007, 03:45:20 PM »
I will appreciate him when he is no longer closing.  Pull the plug Manny.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #12: August 25, 2007, 04:38:49 PM »
I am anxiously awaiting Adam Carr. 

Who?

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #13: August 25, 2007, 04:46:10 PM »
Adam Carr's the closer for Potomac who's been lights-out this year.

Offline vinnysmullet

« Reply #14: August 25, 2007, 04:55:31 PM »
Same here...as a closer, he sucks.  Setup for Colome in the future?

Colome as a closer? Do you want him to win the game for us by lulling the batters to sleep? His delivery is SOOOO slow. I don't think of him as closer material.

Offline rich_nats

« Reply #15: August 25, 2007, 05:57:52 PM »
Adam Carr's the closer for Potomac who's been lights-out this year.

Dare we use a closer that is very reliable?  Well, Cordero is reliable for some things if you know what I mean :)

Offline rich_nats

« Reply #16: August 25, 2007, 06:14:43 PM »
Not giving up on the Chief, not by a long shot.  If he needed to have a bad season, this is the season to do it.

That is the freakin' problem. If we were a playoff contender his performance wouldn't cut it.  Since the team is treating 2007 like a development season, he can suck and still keep his job.  The Nats likely don't want to reduce his trade value (if he has much) by taking him out of the closer role. 

natsfan1a

« Reply #17: August 25, 2007, 06:15:19 PM »
The other day when he was pitching the radio announcer started calling the game in s-l-o-o-w motion. It was a hoot!

Colome as a closer? Do you want him to win the game for us by lulling the batters to sleep? His delivery is SOOOO slow. I don't think of him as closer material.

snoopy4ss

« Reply #18: August 25, 2007, 07:37:19 PM »
Re: Colombe as closer, maybe Nats1A and I were listening to the same game.  I heard Charlie Slowes say he thought the wave could go around Minute Maid park between each of Colombe's pitches. 

I'm not planning to give up on Chad.  I would, however, be willing to see a little less of him, and Rauch and Rivera.  Leading the league in bullpen appearances isn't a record we should aspire to year in and year out.  Maybe next year we'll know who our starters are, and the bullpen won't have to keep bailing them out when they fall apart.

Offline natsdad

« Reply #19: August 25, 2007, 07:40:07 PM »
Adam Carr is now in Harrisburg.

« Reply #20: August 25, 2007, 08:06:00 PM »
That is the freakin' problem. If we were a playoff contender his performance wouldn't cut it.  Since the team is treating 2007 like a development season, he can suck and still keep his job.  The Nats likely don't want to reduce his trade value (if he has much) by taking him out of the closer role. 

But that is the glass half empty attitude.  You can certainly turn it around and say, "Hey, he is just having a bad year."  When he has put this year out of his mind (for various reasons ranging from on field performance to personal), the team solidifies further, and we move into a new stadium, he could very well turn it all around.

We aren't contending right now.  There is no use in playing the "Would of, should of, could of" game.

This isn't directed at anyone in particular but I am always amazed at the amount of people who don't appreciate [insert player name] but wildly post in [insert player name] appreciation threads. ;)

Offline rich_nats

« Reply #21: August 25, 2007, 09:48:49 PM »
But that is the glass half empty attitude.  You can certainly turn it around and say, "Hey, he is just having a bad year."  When he has put this year out of his mind (for various reasons ranging from on field performance to personal), the team solidifies further, and we move into a new stadium, he could very well turn it all around.

That is "the glass looks full from this angle" attitude - thinking there is more than what is actually there.   Check his stat line compared to other closers: league-leader in blown saves, opponents hit him better than any other closer, poor conversion rate, etc.  I'd love to see Chad succeed but I have to be realistic too. 

As I've said before, if he was on a contender he'd be yanked by now.  He just has the good fortune of being on a team with several problem areas so his poor performance doesn't stand out as much.  Unlike our offensive problems, the closer position can be improved overnight because it's just one player.  Hopefully the Nats are just riding this out until the end of the season, then they'll be looking to solidify the closer position in the new ballpark.  But I do worry that he is going to be in for the long haul - I'd rather take care of the problem now.

We aren't contending right now.  There is no use in playing the "Would of, should of, could of" game.

So do you think we're going to get closer to contention with the league-leader in blown saves? Think long-term on this one.  When the Nats move up in the standings in the coming years, a mediocre closer like Cordero will cost us precious wins in the playoff hunt.  And I sure as hell don't want to see this guy trying to save a playoff game on the road. 

This isn't directed at anyone in particular but I am always amazed at the amount of people who don't appreciate [insert player name] but wildly post in [insert player name] appreciation threads. ;)

That's cute.  Typically "appreciation" threads are started when players do WELL.  Why would (another) Chad appreciation thread be started today anyway? Oh yeah, he screwed up again and since Manny (for God knows what reason) hasn't pulled the plug on Cordero, the fans are guilt-tripped into supporting the guy because he's still the closer.  I root for the laundry with this guy as closer.  I know the guy sucks - if he can get the save great, but in his position he can succeed 75% of the time and be the worst in the league. 

Offline mikehughes

« Reply #22: August 25, 2007, 10:54:37 PM »
F**K Cordero
Trade his a** for Dukes
Cordero is worthless

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #23: August 25, 2007, 11:03:38 PM »
F**K Cordero
Trade his a** for Dukes
Cordero is worthless

Wow ... what a wonderful contribution ... thanks so much for fouling this thread ...

« Reply #24: August 25, 2007, 11:21:15 PM »
That is "the glass looks full from this angle" attitude - thinking there is more than what is actually there.   Check his stat line compared to other closers: league-leader in blown saves, opponents hit him better than any other closer, poor conversion rate, etc.  I'd love to see Chad succeed but I have to be realistic too. 

As I've said before, if he was on a contender he'd be yanked by now.  He just has the good fortune of being on a team with several problem areas so his poor performance doesn't stand out as much.  Unlike our offensive problems, the closer position can be improved overnight because it's just one player.  Hopefully the Nats are just riding this out until the end of the season, then they'll be looking to solidify the closer position in the new ballpark.  But I do worry that he is going to be in for the long haul - I'd rather take care of the problem now.

So do you think we're going to get closer to contention with the league-leader in blown saves? Think long-term on this one.  When the Nats move up in the standings in the coming years, a mediocre closer like Cordero will cost us precious wins in the playoff hunt.  And I sure as hell don't want to see this guy trying to save a playoff game on the road. 

That's cute.  Typically "appreciation" threads are started when players do WELL.  Why would (another) Chad appreciation thread be started today anyway? Oh yeah, he screwed up again and since Manny (for God knows what reason) hasn't pulled the plug on Cordero, the fans are guilt-tripped into supporting the guy because he's still the closer.  I root for the laundry with this guy as closer.  I know the guy sucks - if he can get the save great, but in his position he can succeed 75% of the time and be the worst in the league. 

I can only imagine what would happen to our team if we gave up on every 25 year old kid who has a bad season.  I don't even think Zimmerman would be here right now if we seriously considered that attitude.  We are both looking towards the long term goal here, we are on the right path but we go different ways when that path forks.  We are just going to have to wait and see.

I can't speak for everyone but I am not "guilt tripped" into posting in a thread like this.  I just still see the potential in Cordero and while these types of threads do come up more often than not after a player has a bad day, they are meant for more of a "pick-me-up" than anything else.