Author Topic: Nationals vs Phillies, Game 2  (Read 36576 times)

Offline DPMOmaha

Re: Nationals vs Phillies, Game 2
« Reply #800: April 17, 2009, 12:50:27 AM »
I'm not really that sure how well this puts things into perspective, but I got curious and looked up the attendance at the White Sox - Rays game tonight.  13,803.  Really?  That stadium can hold 37,000 people, and they were the AL champs last year. All the sudden 20,000 for us doesn't seem so bad.

Only 21k in Atlanta, 15k in Minnesota, only about 18, maybe 20k at Seattle.

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #801: April 17, 2009, 12:51:49 AM »
I'm not really that sure how well this puts things into perspective, but I got curious and looked up the attendance at the White Sox - Rays game tonight.  13,803.  Really?  That stadium can hold 37,000 people, and they were the AL champs last year. All the sudden 20,000 for us doesn't seem so bad.

As we all know...the economy sure isn't helping attendence this season.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #802: April 17, 2009, 12:53:12 AM »
21k at Turner is really telling.

That was a match-up between two hot teams.  That would get 30+ most years.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #803: April 17, 2009, 12:55:01 AM »
Interesting note from Zuckerman, this was the first time since 2004, when they were still the Expos that they had 3 or more homers in 3 consecutive games.
Except that isn't true.  3 games ago against Atlanta, they didn't hit a single home run.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #804: April 17, 2009, 01:19:54 AM »
Thoughts from today's game. . .

Offense
>Obviously awesome.  Hernandez is more of a true leadoff hitter than Milledge is/was and it's only going to get better when Guzman steps in.  It's one game, but Johnson looked very comfortable in the 2-hole (and was named the player of the game).  Zimmerman screwed up biggie on the GIDP, but came through later.  Adam Dunn set the tone and is seeing the ball really well.  When Dukes hit his homer I turned to CMDTerps and I said, "the only way I can describe Dukes: a beast", so yeah :az: you have that affect on people haha.  Flores was pretty worthless tonight and is only batting .227.  Alberto Gonzalez has been lights out.

Defense
>Not much really going on.  Most plays were pretty routine.  Martis had the big out - the comebacker to him to end a rally in the 6th inning.

Pitching
>I said Martis would go 6.1, give up 5 hits and surrender 2 runs, what do you know.  It happened.  He was pretty darn good.  Not outstanding and I know he can do better, but he delivered the first Nats quality start of the year.  He threw a lot of balls, especially in the early going, but did his job and gave us what we needed.  Mike "Money" Hinckley was excellent coming in, big situation on hand, and got the job done.  Beltway Beimel was nasty, a couple fans near us asked - who is this guy - then I explained he was a Dodger and they were like oh yeah and they remembered him and acknowledged he's nasty.  Joel came in too for the quick 1-2-3.  Hopefully, our other starters realize they have to throw strikes and let our defense take over.

Coaching
>Solid job.  Made the right moves w/ the pen and the pinch hitting (Willingham - brilliant).  Great call sending Martis out for the 7th (not just b/c I said 6.1), his limit was down and he did his work.

Atmosphere
>Eh, not bad.  Beautiful night and I was expecting a lot more Phillies fans - well more vocal - than the Opening Day turnout.  It happened.  Though, the solution to getting rid of the pests (Braves/Mets/O's/Phillies/Yanks/Sawx) is to build an early lead and then blow them out.  It happened.  So, they weren't that big of a problem.

Uniforms/Food/Misc
>As I said, it was a beautiful night and a great result.  I LOVED those uni's tonight.  They looked awesome and I think the club liked them.  It was military opening night, so that's why they wore them ... I look forward to the next time they wear them, I really think they look sharp (especially in person).  Had a Nats Dog for the first time in a while - didn't go with my ritual Curly W Pretzel - and it was solid.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #805: April 17, 2009, 01:38:32 AM »
Except that isn't true.  3 games ago against Atlanta, they didn't hit a single home run.
He's predicting the future.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #806: April 17, 2009, 01:41:52 AM »
Uniforms/Food/Misc
>As I said, it was a beautiful night and a great result.  I LOVED those uni's tonight.  They looked awesome and I think the club liked them. I really think they look sharp (especially in person).
Could not disagree more. And it's not the color of the jerseys, the blue is fine, but that DC logo is hideous and to pair it with the red helmets was a bad idea.  Next time, use the blue lids.  I don't know what it looked like in person, but on TV they looked awful.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #807: April 17, 2009, 02:16:57 AM »
nah, they looked straight. i like the blue/red combo.

wear them again tonight! they bring good luck

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #808: April 17, 2009, 04:40:48 AM »
I'm not going to read thru 33 pages of posts.  So if I mention stuff that's already here, I'm sorry in advance.

Blue Unis - Tonight was the first Military Night.  That's the reason for the Blue and Red, White and Blue Jerseys.  I like the Jerseys.  The Caps are blue with interlocking DC in stars and stripes with red brim. 

Red Loft - Sorry guys, I didn't wear my Curly W Jacket because it was too heavy to carry around and in the late evening too hot.  I wore a Navy fleece nationals jacket and looked for familiar faces.  Seeing none, and not wanting to ask everyone there if they are familiar with WNFF, I went to my seats in 308. 

Game - awsome!  That HR by Dukes was kind of predicted.  On 3-0, my friend said, great! now a walk.  No sooner than I had said "Well its the perfect opportunity for a strike down the middle"; Boom, HR!  Cool!  Also yelled STRIKE HIM OUT on 3 separate occasions in the late innings and it happened (dee dee de de twilight zone music ;<)  )  I can barely talk and am going to the P-Nats tomorrow night!

Yay WE WON!  ANOTHER CURLY W IS IN THE BOOKS!

Seats:  Awsome view!