Author Topic: Google Thread  (Read 40131 times)

Offline houston-nat

Re: Google Thread
« Reply #975: June 03, 2013, 09:33:17 PM »
I require google fiber to come to my town immediately.
:az:
It's coming to Austin. So close but still 200 miles away!

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #976: June 03, 2013, 09:36:00 PM »
The worst part is that it's $120/mo for HDTV and gigabit internet.  I pay more than that for basic tier cable (no HD), and 20 megabit internet.  Google fiber also offers FREE 5 megabit internet ($300 setup charge though).  freak you Comcast.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #977: June 03, 2013, 10:21:11 PM »
It's not like they're exactly serious about expansion - the whole point was to get other providers to up their speeds,  cable companies responded by offering better products,  but only in cities with Google fiber

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #978: June 03, 2013, 10:45:27 PM »
It's not like they're exactly serious about expansion - the whole point was to get other providers to up their speeds,  cable companies responded by offering better products,  but only in cities with Google fiber

Which is only one, right? Kansas City?

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #979: June 03, 2013, 10:55:49 PM »
Provo, Utah (the city handed over their fiber network)  and Austin,  TX will be next,  so at this rate, it's safe to assume they aren't coming to your town anytime soon

Offline Nathan

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #981: June 09, 2013, 03:01:19 PM »
Google reportedly buying Waze for $1.3 billion.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #982: September 25, 2013, 02:47:55 PM »
For anyone (like me) who thinks the addition of the google homepage to the new tab page is a gratuitous waste of space and wants their old thumbnails back:

To try the experimental new tab page, paste this in Chrome's address bar: chrome://flags/, use Ctrl+F to search for "Enable Instant Extended API" and click "Enabled" in the drop-down below "Enable Instant Extended API". Then click "Relaunch now" at the bottom of the page to restart Chrome. To disable this feature, use the same instructions, but click "Disabled" instead of "Enabled".

http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2013/08/changes-to-chromes-new-tab-page.html

Offline Nathan

« Reply #983: October 15, 2013, 05:27:35 PM »
Anyone else having issues with Gmail right now?  I keep getting "Temporary Error (500)"

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #984: October 15, 2013, 07:27:35 PM »
Anyone else having issues with Gmail right now?  I keep getting "Temporary Error (500)"

Mine works fine. As Blue would say, check with your NSA handler.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #985: October 15, 2013, 07:32:42 PM »
It's back now but I had that error for about 2 hours.  Other apps on my google account worked though, like drive.  Weird.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #986: October 29, 2013, 02:13:26 PM »
http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/29/5042760/google-hangouts-adding-sms-integration-today

Hangouts App getting an update today that integrates SMS, adds one-tap location sharing, and *DRUMROLL PLEASE* support for animated GIFs :lol:

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #988: November 20, 2014, 08:09:05 PM »
Is  there a way to get the "professional" version of Google Earth for cheap?

Offline The Chief

« Reply #989: November 24, 2014, 02:42:13 PM »
http://arstechnica.com/business/2014/11/google-and-xbox-music-will-no-longer-count-against-t-mobile-data-caps/

T-Mobile US today exempted another 14 streaming music services from its data caps, including Google Play Music, Xbox Music, and SoundCloud.

FURTHER READING

UNLIKE AT&T, T-MOBILE ISN’T CHARGING COMPANIES TO CIRCUMVENT DATA CAPS
Still, T-Mobile favors big content providers with unlimited music streaming.
FURTHER READING

ANALYSIS: WIRELESS DATA CAPS MORE ABOUT PROFIT THAN CONGESTION
Network congestion is real, but monthly data caps don’t prevent it.
The carrier's "Music Freedom" program lets customers stream music without using up limited high-speed data, and isn't subject to throttling triggered by data overages. (T-Mobile Simple Choice customers are throttled rather than being cut off from data completely after hitting monthly limits.) Music Freedom began by exempting Pandora, Rhapsody, iHeartRadio, iTunes Radio, Samsung Milk, Slacker, and Spotify. Grooveshark, Rdio, and others were added later. T-Mobile today said it boosted the list of exempt services to 27 by adding 14 new ones.

Besides Google Play Music, Xbox Music, and SoundCloud, newly exempt services are RadioTunes, Digitally Imported, Fit Radio, Fresca Radio, JazzRadio, Live365, Mad Genius Radio, radioPup, radio.com, RockRadio, and Saavn.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #990: November 24, 2014, 02:44:52 PM »
T-Mo needs to work on expanding their coverage so I can actually use them instead of making the actual terms of service better :devil:

Offline The Chief

« Reply #991: November 24, 2014, 04:43:54 PM »
T-Mo needs to work on expanding their coverage so I can actually use them instead of making the actual terms of service better :devil:

You live in the middle of nowhere :lol:

Offline Nathan

« Reply #992: November 24, 2014, 05:15:49 PM »
Nuh-uh, I have a Roy Rogers AND a McDonalds!

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #993: December 01, 2014, 08:54:10 PM »
I'm going to be buying a Chromebook. my job has some on their website for like 150.

90% of everything I do on a computer involves my Chrome Browser(even watching movies, involves a Chrome app and my Chromecast), and I don't really game on a PC anymore, so I may as well. Google Fanboy and all that.

my question is this: for things like storing movies/music etc., do Chromebooks work with External Hard Drives? USB ones?

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #994: December 01, 2014, 08:56:34 PM »

agreed.

TMO has absolutely no service in the entire state of WV.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #995: December 02, 2014, 07:53:54 AM »
Without the subscriber base, they can't afford a better network, without the network, they can't get the base

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #996: December 02, 2014, 09:50:58 AM »
You also live in the middle of nowhere. :)

agreed.

TMO has absolutely no service in the entire state of WV.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #997: December 02, 2014, 09:58:08 AM »
Not that my opinion matters much, but I have an old laptop loaded with Linux Mint, and I can't say that I ever miss Windows.  LibreOffice is a fine substitute for the Office suite if you need it.

I'm going to be buying a Chromebook. my job has some on their website for like 150.

90% of everything I do on a computer involves my Chrome Browser(even watching movies, involves a Chrome app and my Chromecast), and I don't really game on a PC anymore, so I may as well. Google Fanboy and all that.

my question is this: for things like storing movies/music etc., do Chromebooks work with External Hard Drives? USB ones?

Offline Nathan

« Reply #998: December 02, 2014, 11:10:19 AM »

Yes, as long as the file types/codecs are supported with ChromeOS.

https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/183093?hl=en