Author Topic: I think, we should look for a SS.  (Read 7840 times)

Ryan Zimmerman

I think, we should look for a SS.
« Topic Start: July 15, 2005, 07:36:21 PM »
I doubt, Bowden will trade Guzman...I dunno why..but we clearly need a better SS.Guzman salary is huge also...why not give a chance to a prospect? Caroll would do a decent job though.

What ya think?

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
« Reply #1: July 15, 2005, 07:41:52 PM »
You said it: salary.  Guzman isn't going anywhere on the starting lineup.  We've just got to swallow it.  At least until next year.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #2: July 15, 2005, 08:11:53 PM »
Ideally, you would want Guzman to finally find his hitting stroke, because his glove has been excellent. I've not once seen Tom McCraw talking with any of the players, he's always sitting by himself. You'd think that as a hitting coach, he would be talking about certain aspects of their hitting... If this team had an owner, does anyone honestly think McCraw would be with the Nats?

As for Carroll at SS on a regular basis, that's not a good idea, he doesn't have the stamina to do the job every day, and when he does, we've how his bat deteriorates.

Even free agents signed to 4 year contracts can get traded, but that said, who would the Nats trade for? Who might be available?

Ryan Zimmerman

« Reply #3: July 15, 2005, 08:13:09 PM »
Quote from: "Kenz aFan"
Ideally, you would want Guzman to finally find his hitting stroke, because his glove has been excellent. I've not once seen Tom McCraw talking with any of the players, he's always sitting by himself. You'd think that as a hitting coach, he would be talking about certain aspects of their hitting... If this team had an owner, does anyone honestly think McCraw would be with the Nats?

As for Carroll at SS on a regular basis, that's not a good idea, he doesn't have the stamina to do the job every day, and when he does, we've how his bat deteriorates.

Even free agents signed to 4 year contracts can get traded, but that said, who would the Nats trade for? Who might be available?

Alex Gonzalez.I wouldn't do Guzman for GOnzalez straight up...but he's a decent batter.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #4: July 15, 2005, 08:31:32 PM »
Gonzalez, from the Marlins? If we're gonna trade for a SS from the NL East, I'd rather try for the Mets Kazuo Matsui...

Too bad Bowden hasn't got what he would need to get A-Rod and move him back to SS...

Ryan Zimmerman

« Reply #5: July 15, 2005, 08:33:13 PM »
Gonzalez, from the Marlins? If we're gonna trade for a SS from the NL East, I'd rather try for the Mets Kazuo Matsui...

Too bad Bowden hasn't got what he would need to get A-Rod and move him back to SS...

No, from the devil rays.HAHA.Je le trouvais bon quand il etait avec les expos.Je sais pas pourquoi...personne voulait le signer.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #6: July 15, 2005, 09:31:05 PM »
The only good shortstop with the Devil Rays I would trade for is Julio Lugo... And they wouldn't take Guzman unless they were getting someone else to sweeten the deal. Let's give them Guzman, Wilkerson, Armas for Lugo, Huff and Fossum... LOLOLOL

Sorry the devil made me do that....

Offline rileyn

« Reply #7: July 15, 2005, 11:23:32 PM »
You could make a real strong argument that Guzman is the worst overall SS in the majors.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #8: July 15, 2005, 11:50:14 PM »
Quote from: "rileyn"
You could make a real strong argument that Guzman is the worst overall SS in the majors.

It would be more than real easy, because Guzman IS the worst SS in the majors... For proof, click here to see for yourself

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #9: July 16, 2005, 10:20:52 AM »
I've not once seen Tom McCraw talking with any of the players, he's always sitting by himself. You'd think that as a hitting coach, he would be talking about certain aspects of their hitting... If this team had an owner, does anyone honestly think McCraw would be with the Nats?

Ken, I presume you are talking about McGraw during the games.  Unless someone attends an away game, you don't get to see Nats batting practice, and none of us are privy to what happens during the day preceding opening of a park.

I attended one game in Texas this year, going in early to watch Nats batting practice, and was actually surprised at how busy McGraw is during BP.  He was very active and engaged in working with players on their swings, stances or other aspects of their hitting.  I actually had hoped to get his autograph (becuase he played for the 71 Senators, in the last game, which I attended) but never got a chance, he was too busy working.

I am not saying he is good or bad as a coach, I'm just saying it's not really fair to judge his overall effort based on the little sliver you can see during games.

Montcobaseball

« Reply #10: July 16, 2005, 11:11:55 AM »
If it wasn't for his salary he wouldn't be playing or possibly not even on the team.  If we had an owner the situation would be different but my God this man is an automatic out.  Carroll should be playing shortstop and Rick Short should be his backup.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #11: July 16, 2005, 03:15:07 PM »
Quote from: "tomterp"
I am not saying he is good or bad as a coach, I'm just saying it's not really fair to judge his overall effort based on the little sliver you can see during games.

Yes, I'm talking about during games. When I watch other teams play through the MLB.TV feeds, I will see the players talking with their hitting coach, (at least according to whoever might be announcing, and I have yet to see a player talk to him during a game. I cant say for sure that they don't because I've missed a lot of games while I was having technical problems with my MLB.TV access. But you'd think that in all the games I have seen, I would have at least seen one player talking with him.

Any hitting coach who isn't around during BP and talking to his hitters should be fired on the spot. Guys like Guzman need to be constantly remind to lay off the first pitch, because man, he looks like a Little Leaguer out there...

Ryan Zimmerman

« Reply #12: July 16, 2005, 05:49:30 PM »
I think, we should give a try to our youngsters.

I don't like Labandeira...what about Wesley Carroll...is he Jamey Caroll brother?

Argh, this Kevin Orie...is hitting for more then 400 with the Zephyrs.Could he play SS? I don't think so...he could play 3B and 1B tho'.I wish either Short or Orie would have been able to play SS.Castilla could reste sometimes and Orie would be able to play some games.

Anyways...I'd rather give Jamey Caroll to play the most of the games....

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #13: July 16, 2005, 06:29:28 PM »
Kevin Orie plays 1B and 3B, but he's more a hitter than a defensive player. At best he would be a pinch hitter off the bench.

The SS in New Orleans is Jason Bowers, with Juan Melo being the backup at 3B and SS, when he's not pulling DH duty. In Harrisburg the guys doing most of the SS work are Melvin Dorta and Shawn Norris (converted 3B).

I would much rather see Jamey Carroll do what he does best and that's come off the bench as needed, not every day. When he plays every day, he's not the same player.

Montcobaseball

« Reply #14: July 17, 2005, 10:18:36 AM »
Look at what happened when Carroll entered the game.  Yes he only had a walk but the momentum swung towards the Nats.  He needs to sit for a week or longer.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #15: July 17, 2005, 06:42:41 PM »
Christian "Groundout" Guzman

Through the last 10 games:

2 for 27, batting average of .074 and on base percentage of .229

vs.

Jamey Carroll

Through last 27 at bats:

7 for 27, batting avergage: .259 and on base percentage of .310

I think it's time for somebody to swallow his pride and come to grips with reality.  He's had a whole half of a season to "right the ship"...eat the salary and get someone out there that can contribute to the batting order.  Half of his groundouts always result in double plays at the worst times.  I know it's not going to happen - but I need to vent.   :evil:

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #16: July 17, 2005, 07:36:18 PM »
I think blaming Guzman is aiming at the wrong target, because the entire team hasn't been hitting. Over the course of the team's current slump, (3 wins in 11 games) the Nats are hitting .227 and the teams OBP is less than .280. Blaming one player is aiming really low...

Blaming them all, not just Guzman, because none of them has been remotely close to impressive.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #17: July 17, 2005, 08:11:29 PM »
In my humble opinion there's a difference between slumping and consistantly sucking for an entire half of a season.   :?

bramos

« Reply #18: July 17, 2005, 08:42:22 PM »
I think blaming Guzman is aiming at the wrong target, because the entire team hasn't been hitting. Over the course of the team's current slump, (3 wins in 11 games) the Nats are hitting .227 and the teams OBP is less than .280. Blaming one player is aiming really low...

Blaming them all, not just Guzman, because none of them has been remotely close to impressive.

I was one of those - perhaps the only one - who supported Guzman early on because I felt he needed time to adjust to the pitchers in a new league.  The grace period is over.  He should be benched.  Bowden may even be wise to designate him for assignment.  If he clears waviers, send him to the minors so he can learn to hit again.  Nobody was asking for Jeter-like numbers, but there is absolutely no excuse for this kind of pathetic production from Guzman.  If he was working the count a little more, making productive outs, then maybe...maybe he would be spared the wrath from Nats fans.  

Signing Guzman to a long-term contract seemed like such a great idea at the time...What went wrong?

Offline PC

« Reply #19: July 18, 2005, 01:07:16 PM »

Guzman is exactly the right target.  In the Brewers series, Guzman went 0 for 12 and grounded into two double plays. This is stunningly bad.  No one else in the line up was anywhere near this bad and this is a continuation of his play for most of the season.

There is clearly something wrong with his hitting.  It's painful to watch, really.  I don't know about anybody else but my spirits cerainly drop every time I see him with a bat in his hand.

Sit him on the bench, play him part-time, send him to the minors.  Do something, because what they're doing now ain't working!

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #20: July 18, 2005, 02:09:52 PM »
Maybe one of you Washington locals should simply walk over to Bowden, and tell him straight out... To either get rid of Guzman or end up losing fans.

Rolling eyes :roll:  If fixing the Guzman problem was only that easy... If you bench him, your only option is Carroll and when he plays every day, he becomes just as bad as Guzman, so using him as a (temp) Band-aid fix isn't the answer. Another option is to call up someone to play SS while you continue to use Carroll as the perfect come off the bench player he is. In New Orleans, the SS is Jason Bowers, who cant hit either, with the backup being Juan Melo, but he's like Carroll and doesn't play every day. At Harrisburg you have Melvin Dorta and Dan Dement, who's just another utility infielder.

The only real way to improve and/or fix the SS problem is via a trade. I really don't see that happening. More like a bunch of temp fixes that wont cure the problem.

Offline PC

« Reply #21: July 18, 2005, 02:27:49 PM »
If fixing the Guzman problem was only that easy... If you bench him, your only option is Carroll and when he plays every day, he becomes just as bad as Guzman, so using him as a (temp) Band-aid fix isn't the answer. Another option is to call up someone to play SS while you continue to use Carroll as the perfect come off the bench player he is. In New Orleans, the SS is Jason Bowers, who cant hit either, with the backup being Juan Melo, but he's like Carroll and doesn't play every day. At Harrisburg you have Melvin Dorta and Dan Dement, who's just another utility infielder.

It's not an all or nothing propostion, ie play Carroll every day and never play Guzman.  If we played Carroll a third of the time or half time, it would give us someone competent at bat 1/3 or 1/2 of the time.  Frank Robinson has to be smart about this.  Guzman clearly is clueless at bat.  We don't have enough offense to have him in the lineup everyday so we're going to have to platoon Carroll and Guzman in such a way that doesn't drive down Carroll's numbers but gives us competence at bat in the SS place.  Someone who'll occasionally get a hit.  Someone who'll walk sometimes.  Someone who'll drive in a run or two.  Someone who won't hit into double plays!  And if we score more runs, we can replace Carroll with Guzman in the lineup late in some games to give him a few extra at bats, in case that might help him.  We could have swept this Brewers series with a few more runs.

And a "bandaid" is exactly what we want.  We just want to get through the end of the season with solid play at SS and a competent bat in the lineup.  We can deal with the long term problem after the season.

We split LF between Byrd and Church.  We can do the same thing at SS.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #22: July 18, 2005, 02:31:17 PM »
my views on this issue are stated in my Blog.

enjoy. :)

bramos

« Reply #23: July 18, 2005, 04:44:50 PM »
The only real way to improve and/or fix the SS problem is via a trade. I really don't see that happening. More like a bunch of temp fixes that wont cure the problem.

The shortstop position used to be one filled with catch-and-throw guys whose main focus was defense.  Any offence you got was considered a bonus.  (A Mark Belanger comes readily to mind.)  Problem with Guzman is that his defense - though steady - needs to be unbelievably spectacular in order to compensate for his utter lack of offense.  With him in the lineup, we are effectively conceding two outs at every turn in the order (8th & 9th hole).  Carroll certainly doesn't have the tools like Guzman, and neither is he the long-term answer at short, but at least he can do the little things to spark a team.  And, let's face it, on most nights all we're missing is just one more run crossing the plate.  Carroll gives us that chance.

mar (AKA pasqual AKA JMG)

« Reply #24: July 18, 2005, 05:26:19 PM »
I think Guzman goes in the offseason (and likely Nats are gonna have to eat some of his 4 MIL per year to do it) but just near impossible to see how Bowden could move him for an upgrade by the deadline. Been zero rumors of any decent SS on the trading block.