Author Topic: Future of big name Nats (2012)  (Read 15497 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: Future of big name Nats
« Reply #275: June 14, 2012, 05:22:03 PM »
Ahem....

:nono: :nono:

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude
« Reply #276: June 14, 2012, 05:34:37 PM »
Yet it will continue to get bumped until it gets moved to it's own sub-board.

No, I totally disagree.  I think we ought to discuss this, day after interminable day, with no new information, nor any change in the status, complete with daily tracking polls over whether we think he will sign, if so when and for how much and for those that think he won't, where he will sign and for how much.  I mean, there's real depth to this topic that seems to me sadly unexplored.

(Pssst - BiL - that's sarcasm, bro!  ;) )

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #277: June 14, 2012, 05:41:03 PM »
I miss the Riggleman sub-board.

Offline RyanZimsKazoo

• Ryan Zimmerman is passionate about baseball...
« Reply #278: June 14, 2012, 06:21:31 PM »
When you look at the Nationals, two names come to mind nationally. That is Stephen Strasburg and Bryce Harper. Both are 1st overall picks. Both are players on the Washington Nationals roster as of right now.

Both are considered prodigies and the future megastars to the game of baseball and ultimately could play a huge role in revitalizing the interest and spark of baseball in Washington DC.

But both are going to demand a HUGE contract in the upcoming years. While its easy to just forget about it until the time comes, it makes you wonder at what point do the Nationals need to think of locking both of these guys down. Will the Lerners pay to keep the guys that are helping build up a potential powerhouse in DC? Or will they let this turn into a LeBron James situation leaving for the money. If it came down to it sadly, who would you say is more important to the franchise in terms of winning.

Strasburg is probably one of the best pitchers in baseball right now, and hes only 23. The only issue is the Tommy John. Do you want to invest so much money into a player who is one awkward pitch away from being done.

If you have to invest one mega deal into a player on this team for the future...who would it be...Harper...or Stras?

Just curious what people think/say. I expect more to lean on Stras over Harper but I do love 34 and 37 equally.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #279: June 14, 2012, 06:41:40 PM »
it shouldn't have to be an either or

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #280: June 14, 2012, 06:48:04 PM »
the MASN deal probably has a huge impact on the either or. Nice to see a second thread, though we have a Harper needs extending thread and s both need extending thread, but no Strasburg needs extending thread

Offline d_mc_nabb

« Reply #281: June 14, 2012, 06:49:49 PM »
I'll preface this by saying the usual and necessary "it's too early to tell, who knows what might change, etc." Obviously it depends upon the acquisitions we make and the like, but for now I'd be inclined to go with Harper. As the rotation stands RIGHT NOW, Strasburg probably isn't AS necessary as a good hitter RIGHT NOW. Furthermore, I think Harper has the bombast needed to revitalize DC as a baseball city. Having a career guy with attitude like Harper gives the Nationals a rich history with just that one player. I think that on the field their impacts may equal/cancel, but off the field Harper will give the Nationals an identity for years.
Of course, all that could change the second Strasburg throws a perfect game, or with one FA acquisition. But that's my preliminary thought.

Offline d_mc_nabb

« Reply #282: June 14, 2012, 06:52:24 PM »
it shouldn't have to be an either or

It shouldn't be, but I don't think that's the point RZK was trying to make. It's a hypothetical thing.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #283: June 14, 2012, 07:13:30 PM »
We'll be trading them in a couple years. Gotta keep that payroll low

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #284: June 14, 2012, 07:15:32 PM »
We'll be trading them in a couple years. Gotta keep that payroll low

if angelos gets his way and TV revenue is ~$30 million, we're essentially the pirates, and we have two $100 million players, so I would expect them to be gone along with Zimmermann

Offline RyanZimsKazoo

« Reply #285: June 14, 2012, 07:28:24 PM »
Or if magically Ted Lerner dies in the next few years....

Who knows...DC could end up having a HUGE payroll in the upcoming years.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #286: June 14, 2012, 07:30:55 PM »
how does ted lerner dying lead to an increase in payroll? If anything, the family might pull back to pay off estate taxes

Offline RyanZimsKazoo

« Reply #287: June 14, 2012, 07:41:18 PM »
how does ted lerner dying lead to an increase in payroll? If anything, the family might pull back to pay off estate taxes

Cause Ted is a cheap ass while maybe his sons might be more inclined to spend more to bring a WS to DC?

Offline Slateman

« Reply #288: June 14, 2012, 07:42:08 PM »
Cause Ted is a cheap ass while maybe his sons might be more inclined to spend more to bring a WS to DC?

Psh .... Like father, like son.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #289: June 14, 2012, 07:44:50 PM »

got an example of a team willing to run in the red? Everything really depends on the MASN deal

Offline RyanZimsKazoo

« Reply #290: June 14, 2012, 07:46:01 PM »
Psh .... Like father, like son.

Meh...I guess if I was sitting on a relative fortune my dad had accumulated and I owned a professional sports team I would be more inclined to spend in order to keep a team actively in the hunt + fan appealing.

Nobody wants to go see 30+ year olds playing baseball. We want our 19 year old phenoms and 23 year old ace cy young candidate pitchers. But unfortunately you have to pay to keep them.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #291: June 14, 2012, 07:47:09 PM »
Meh...I guess if I was sitting on a relative fortune my dad had accumulated and I owned a professional sports team I would be more inclined to spend in order to keep a team actively in the hunt + fan appealing.

Nobody wants to go see 30+ year olds playing baseball. We want our 19 year old phenoms and 23 year old ace cy young candidate pitchers. But unfortunately you have to pay to keep them.
I'd want to keep all the money I could

Offline RyanZimsKazoo

« Reply #292: June 14, 2012, 07:47:30 PM »
got an example of a team willing to run in the red? Everything really depends on the MASN deal

I hope they take the broadcasting rights to Comcast Sportsnet. Screw sharing profits with that turd Angelos.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #293: June 14, 2012, 07:48:05 PM »
they don't have the right to do that

Offline RyanZimsKazoo

« Reply #294: June 14, 2012, 07:49:09 PM »
I'd want to keep all the money I could

When you are THAT rich...having a payroll that is in the top 10 doesn't exactly affect your day-to-day living situation.

Offline RyanZimsKazoo

« Reply #295: June 14, 2012, 07:49:43 PM »
they don't have the right to do that

I thought CSN was offering the Nationals a possible deal that moves their games to that channel?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #296: June 14, 2012, 07:51:01 PM »
When you are THAT rich...having a payroll that is in the top 10 doesn't exactly affect your day-to-day living situation.

don't suppose you have any example of an owner willingly running a professional team in the red- it just doesn't happen

Offline RyanZimsKazoo

« Reply #297: June 14, 2012, 07:55:49 PM »
don't suppose you have any example of an owner willingly running a professional team in the red- it just doesn't happen

What would make you think they would ever run in the red by putting up mega deals?

Somehow I feel after this season you start to see the prices for tickets rise.

This is the Washington Capitals situation in 2008. Tickets were cheap and affordable...team starts winning...demand to see them goes up...tickets rise in $. Covering costs of the contracts.

Gotta pay for those 100 million dollar contracts somehow.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #298: June 14, 2012, 07:57:38 PM »
What would make you think they would ever run in the red by putting up mega deals?

Somehow I feel after this season you start to see the prices for tickets rise.

This is the Washington Capitals situation in 2008. Tickets were cheap and affordable...team starts winning...demand to see them goes up...tickets rise in $. Covering costs of the contracts.

Gotta pay for those 100 million dollar contracts somehow.

then you're saying it isn't a matter of Lerner being cheap? I think every thing depends on MASN, angelos winning means you can't afford the contracts, the Lerners winning mean they can (not saying they will, but it gives them the resources)

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #299: June 14, 2012, 08:09:28 PM »
I can't believe you're entertaining this baboons mindless drivel.