Author Topic: My personal trade target going into Spring Training: Marlins' Derek Dietrich  (Read 930 times)

Offline _sturt_

• "Le Grande Orange"...Colt 45/Astro/Expo(Nat) Great
Been playing with sortable stats and doing some research on 2B who hit righties exceptionally well. Thinking originally was that maybe there's someone out there who could work his way into a platoon at 2nd if things with Escobar don't go as well as prophesied.

This 25 year-old left-handed batter was the Marlins' opening day starter at second, and seemingly has fallen off their depth chart these days... literally, fallen off... even as he remains on their 40-man. So, one would surmise he might come fairly cheap. His 2014 was marred by some defensive issues and a substantial period (~2 mos) on the DL for a right wrist sprain. In spite of all of that, his offensive numbers however are pretty likeable...

As a prospect, he projected as a Dan Uggla or just as often based on what I've read, eventually as a 3B convert... good arm, but limited on the range. But the most recent thing said the Marlins' braintrust were thinking OF or 1B:

Hints to me that there are just some substantial doubts regarding his throwing accuracy since the arm strength evidently was never in doubt.

Nonetheless... on balance, I'm wondering if he wouldn't be a reasonably good fit on our bench (?).

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
He's a reasonably good fit on Miami's bench too. Why would they deal him to their biggest obstacle to contention?

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Yoan Moncada or Mookie Betts

Offline _sturt_

He's a reasonably good fit on Miami's bench too. Why would they deal him to their biggest obstacle to contention?

Can't really say they would, but he appears to be less than an afterthought given his complete absence from their mlb.com depth chart and, otherwise everything I'm reading.

Notable how-bout-that, were he to be obtained ... he originally came to the Marlins in a straight-up trade with the Rays for... Yunel Escobar... a bit of irony, and especially so if they were to platoon at 2nd... hehe.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
You know, Blue and I had a go round on dietrich in the 2d base thread at one point.  i picked up some of the same stats as you and said that he's blocked by Dee Gordon.  Blue's counter was he's so cheap and versatile that a building team would not put him on the market.  starts right around this post:  http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=31946.325    reply#346

Offline Slateman

I think his value will grow and Miami will hold on to him until the deadline.

Offline _sturt_

I dunno... barring a rash of injuries by those above him on the depth chart, I'm not sure how Dietrich is going to get any MLB playing time that will allow him to get all that valuable by July.

I think the substantial question is what our own scouts say about his future as a 2B... were the Marlins just trying to expand his versatility in instructional league, or are they convinced 2B isn't a long-term position for him (and if so, of course, do our scouts agree with what led them to that conclusion)?

The answer to that question, then, informs more precisely how much you offer for him. Notice I said, "how much," not "whether" you offer... and that's because I think there's enough upside to his offense (relative to our need for some solid new reasons to feel good about our pinch hitting) to make a deal.

Offline _sturt_

Guess he wanted to make sure I got some mileage out of plugging his candidacy over here, eh? :mg:

Offline Slateman

Give that man . . . a contract