Author Topic: Zimmerman time!  (Read 1242 times)

Ryan Zimmerman

Zimmerman time!
« Topic Start: August 12, 2005, 12:18:44 AM »
Zimmerman homered twice, tonight and is hitting over 300 for Harriburg.That's insane for a guy who came from college and has been rushed like that! (to AA) I'm not saying, his bat is ready for the majors but, we'll need to make some changes and Castilla should really get some days off.Who else thinks, we should call up Dutch Zimmerman?

Hardball in DC

Zimmerman time!
« Reply #1: August 12, 2005, 08:13:42 AM »
Not me.  Keep him in the minors and bring up Rick Short or Brendan Harris.   He is not going to turn around the fortunes of the Nationals himself.  The upside is limited while the downside is enormous.  
(1) No need to screw around with a player who is hitting well off of Double-A pitchers.  There is a reason the guys Zimmerman is facing aren't in the majors.  They aren't ready (or never will be).  Major league pitchers will eat him alive.  No need to mess with the kid any sooner than you have too.
(2) Why start his arbitration clock now?  There is no reason to burn valuable development time by forcing yourself to have to play a guy because his F/A clock is ticking.

Let him play out the season in Harrisburg.  Invite him to spring training and see what happens.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Zimmerman time!
« Reply #2: August 12, 2005, 08:26:29 AM »
Besides, we have one of the top 3rd basemen in all of baseball.  Terrific range in the field, speed on the bases, power, and did you see him flashing leather last night?

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
Zimmerman time!
« Reply #3: August 12, 2005, 10:23:43 AM »
Quote from: "Hardball in DC"
Not me.  Keep him in the minors and bring up Rick Short or Brendan Harris.   He is not going to turn around the fortunes of the Nationals himself.  The upside is limited while the downside is enormous.  
(1) No need to screw around with a player who is hitting well off of Double-A pitchers.  There is a reason the guys Zimmerman is facing aren't in the majors.  They aren't ready (or never will be).  Major league pitchers will eat him alive.  No need to mess with the kid any sooner than you have too.
(2) Why start his arbitration clock now?  There is no reason to burn valuable development time by forcing yourself to have to play a guy because his F/A clock is ticking.

Let him play out the season in Harrisburg.  Invite him to spring training and see what happens.

everything he said.

except that Inviting him to Spring Training in 2006 is not up for debate.  It's built into his contract.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Re: Zimmerman time!
« Reply #4: August 12, 2005, 03:57:37 PM »
Quote from: "Ryan Zimmerman"
Zimmerman homered twice, tonight and is hitting over 300 for Harriburg.That's insane for a guy who came from college and has been rushed like that! (to AA) I'm not saying, his bat is ready for the majors but, we'll need to make some changes and Castilla should really get some days off.Who else thinks, we should call up Dutch Zimmerman?

If they bring him up now, he will be no better than Vinny Castilla. He's not ready to face major league pitching and Bowden would be a fool to take the chance of burning him out this season as well as starting Zimmerman's arbitration clock... Sometime next season would make more sense.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Zimmerman time!
« Reply #5: August 12, 2005, 03:59:15 PM »
Hardball in DC

Gee, I should have read ahead, I could have saved myself all that typing... LOL

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Zimmerman time!
« Reply #6: August 12, 2005, 04:19:08 PM »
Quote from: "Kenz aFan"
Hardball in DC

Gee, I should have read ahead, I could have saved myself all that typing... LOL

Such a fine point, why not make it twice?