Author Topic: World Cup/Soccer Thread (2009/2010/2011)  (Read 39501 times)

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
Re: World Cup/Soccer Thread (2009/2010)
« Reply #750: September 05, 2010, 09:18:29 AM »
Camille and I had a pretty good time at the game.

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #751: September 10, 2010, 03:59:08 PM »
It was good to see you two, I can't believe how much she's grown!

BTW, loved your purple purse....did you get in trouble about your wife's camera?  :shock:

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #752: September 11, 2010, 12:05:39 PM »
Ugly game for City. They should have whooped Blackburn.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #753: September 15, 2010, 02:48:06 PM »
Pretty surprised they're showing the Chelsea-MSK Zilina Champions League game on FSC over Bayern-Roma.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #754: September 15, 2010, 03:41:10 PM »
Chelsea being as much of a bandwagon fan phenomenon as the Red Sox, I'm a little surprised it's not on ESPN. 

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #755: September 16, 2010, 09:24:41 AM »
Latest in the DC United stadium saga: http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/2010/09/dc_united_to_rockville_not_lik.html#more - Rockville site apparently a no-go; also saw a post on BigSoccer to the effect that the issuance of the Maryland Stadium Authority feasibility study on a Baltimore site has been put off till October (wonder if United brass asked them to keep it under their hats a bit longer to avoid messing up STH renewals for 2011 - the deadline for renewal at the 5% discount is 1st November and the absolute deadline for renewal at whatever the full 2011 rate will be is 17th December).

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #756: September 16, 2010, 10:07:56 AM »
Chelsea being as much of a bandwagon fan phenomenon as the Red Sox, I'm a little surprised it's not on ESPN.  

I guess that makes ManU the Yankees of the league then :roll:

In full disclosure, I am a huge Chelsea fan and have been since the days of Zola and Wise.  ManU, Real Madrid, Roma, they are all bandwagon teams, but it amazes me that anyone would want to hop on the Chelsea bandwagon after this heartbreaker:

The biggest (i.e. richest) teams get shown on American TV, because they pay for the priority.  Thats why you won't see teams like Middlesborough, Wolfsburg, Genoa, Zenit, Lyon, etc. in the champions league game of the day unless they are playing ManU, Chelsea, Real, Bayern, Arsenal or another one of the big 8.  Its a huge problem.

• babble on
« Reply #757: September 16, 2010, 05:56:25 PM »
Fair enough, you are clearly a fan from before the Chelski era.  I can relate, I'm an Arsenal fan from the bad old days at Highbury in the mid/late 80s.  Still a fan, though Emirates Stadium seems as soulless as a shopping mall.   

I guess that makes ManU the Yankees of the league then :roll:

In full disclosure, I am a huge Chelsea fan and have been since the days of Zola and Wise.  ManU, Real Madrid, Roma, they are all bandwagon teams, but it amazes me that anyone would want to hop on the Chelsea bandwagon after this heartbreaker:

(Image removed from quote.)

The biggest (i.e. richest) teams get shown on American TV, because they pay for the priority.  Thats why you won't see teams like Middlesborough, Wolfsburg, Genoa, Zenit, Lyon, etc. in the champions league game of the day unless they are playing ManU, Chelsea, Real, Bayern, Arsenal or another one of the big 8.  Its a huge problem.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #758: September 16, 2010, 06:09:33 PM »
Fair enough, you are clearly a fan from before the Chelski era.  I can relate, I'm an Arsenal fan from the bad old days at Highbury in the mid/late 80s.  Still a fan, though Emirates Stadium seems as soulless as a shopping mall.   

Ah a gunners fan, eh.  I've been a fan of a bunch of the players they have had over the last decade.  Unfortunately for them, they got rid of a bunch of them.  Cesc Fabergas is an amazing player to watch.

I will admit, there has been a lot of fans that have jumped on the bandwagon since Abramovich took over in 2003.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #759: September 17, 2010, 05:02:42 PM »
Latest in the DC United stadium saga: http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/2010/09/dc_united_to_rockville_not_lik.html#more - Rockville site apparently a no-go; also saw a post on BigSoccer to the effect that the issuance of the Maryland Stadium Authority feasibility study on a Baltimore site has been put off till October (wonder if United brass asked them to keep it under their hats a bit longer to avoid messing up STH renewals for 2011 - the deadline for renewal at the 5% discount is 1st November and the absolute deadline for renewal at whatever the full 2011 rate will be is 17th December).

at least they still seem to be exploring two dc locations. it seemed like dc became an afterthought after poplar point fizzled.

trying to think of where they might go.

A) South RFK site/East Hill
B) Poplar Point probably still a possibility
C) Darkhorse: North of RFK near Benning RD/H St. I'm sure there is land around there. Lots of development is going on.  around there. The timing would line up with the streetcar.  If you put it in that north Parking lot or south of Benning, People could still walk from the RFK Metro. Others could arrive via street car from Union Station. Post game, you could street car it or walk to H St bars and restaurants. Then work your way back to union station via streetcar.

Is there any land up in the north of the district? Columbia Hts, Georgia Ave, Petworth.

RFK does seem to be a pretty ideal location. The VA people can metro or drive easily and you can also get the Mexican/Salvadoran contingent driving from PG

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #760: October 03, 2010, 10:38:36 AM »
Manchester City moved up to second with their win over Newcastle today. Adam Johnson is the crap!

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #761: October 03, 2010, 02:11:19 PM »
My flatmate is an Arsenal fan. He's a sad man today.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #762: October 03, 2010, 02:11:59 PM »

I bet. Chelsea were on their game today. That free kick by Alex was awesome. Drogba's goal was pretty sick, too.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #763: October 03, 2010, 08:58:48 PM »
I bet. Chelsea were on their game today. That free kick by Alex was awesome. Drogba's goal was pretty sick, too.

that free kick was ridiculous. nothing fancy about it. just a rocket from 25-30 yards. the sweetest part was he put it right through the gap in the wall when his teammate (malouda?) ducked out of the way. made it look so easy like why dont they just do it all the time.

saw a decent amount of the blackpool/liverpool game.  blackpool is making some waves.  liverpool guy had got stoned on a header in like the 93rd minute that would have tied it

• babble on
« Reply #764: October 03, 2010, 10:43:57 PM »
freak Chelski

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #765: October 06, 2010, 11:40:38 AM »
Red Sox ownership group is the winning bidder for Liverpool.  Hicks is fighting the sale, which was approved by outside directors.  Next step is a quick legal fight over whether the sale is within the scope of the authority of the outside directors. If yes, then EPL approval may be as soon as Friday.
http://www.boston.com/sports/soccer/articles/2010/10/06/liverpool_board_agrees_on_sale_to_red_sox_owners/?p1=Upbox_links

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #766: October 06, 2010, 11:53:25 AM »
it seems odd that the directors (no ownership interest) can force a sale over the objections of the actual owners. If this drags and liverpool gets relegated, I wonder what hicks will say then?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #767: October 06, 2010, 12:07:15 PM »
I've long given up trying to understand Us corporate law, so I am clueless about England. In the US, the shareholders approve sales, but perhaps there is some sort of receivership-like arrangment that RBS holds due to the leverage.  From the article:
Liverpool chairman Martin Broughton said the Red Sox owners have offered to pay $477 million, which is only likely to cover the debts and bank charges stemming from the leveraged 2007 takeover by Hicks and Gillett.

Despite the opposition of Hicks and Gillett, who own all the shares in Liverpool, Boston's offer was accepted by the three non-owner board members: Broughton -- who was hired by Hicks and Gillett in April to sell the club -- plus managing director Christian Purslow and commercial director Ian Ayre.

The Premier League said in a statement it should be ready to approve the takeover by Friday.

Broughton is set to go to court next week to reinforce his authority over the sale and challenge the owners' attempts to remove Purslow and Ayre from the board. Broughton said he expects the sale to be completed in about a week.

Broughton said Hicks and Gillett have "flagrantly abused" written undertakings made to Royal Bank of Scotland, which holds the bulk of Liverpool's debt.

"We need to go to the court to ... declare that we did act validly in completing the sale agreement, and then the buyers can complete the sale," Broughton said.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #768: October 15, 2010, 01:53:54 PM »
It is official. Henry et al (NESV) buys Liverpool for 300 Pounds ($4476MM). Hicks and Gilett dropped the TRO but will sue for $1.4B damages.  Frees Liverpool of acquisition debt held by royal bank of Scotland.
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2010/10/its_official_jo.html?p1=News_links
Just a guess - the obvious way to finance this without debt is to sell all or part of NESN to Ruppert Murdoch. Murdoch then could show Liverpool on NESN in the US, plus get Red Sox and Bruins rights for whatever their current contracts are for.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #769: November 07, 2010, 11:17:38 AM »
I'm watching Liverpool - Chelsea right now.  I swear the announcer is referring to the blue team as Chelski. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #770: November 07, 2010, 11:49:33 AM »
Torres with an incredible second goal. Bends it in of the far post.  John Henry and Larry Lucchino enjoying it live. 

Offline Dave B

« Reply #771: November 07, 2010, 11:49:42 AM »
just saw that second goal by torres. nice

Offline Dave B

« Reply #772: November 07, 2010, 12:29:50 PM »
I'm watching Liverpool - Chelsea right now.  I swear the announcer is referring to the blue team as Chelski. 

i just heard that. i think he is saying Konchesky (i looked up the liverpool roster).

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #773: November 21, 2010, 09:41:13 AM »
Oh man, Eto'o just pulled a Zidane and the refs didn't see it. He'll definitely get suspended for it, though.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #774: November 23, 2010, 10:46:45 PM »
soccer insider says that MLS is considering a switch to a late summer to spring schedule to line up with the other leagues n the world. it wont happen next year though

please let this happen. i like being outside in cold weather