Author Topic: Movie Recommendations/Want To See List  (Read 171521 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: Movie Recommendations/Want To See List
« Reply #1400: October 09, 2013, 11:40:09 AM »
DeNiro is coming out with another mobster/badass/comedy in November with Freeman, Douglas and Kline.     Lately DeNiro's movie genre has taken on the feel of Don Knotts and Tim Conway movies.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #1401: October 10, 2013, 05:15:55 PM »
Lately DeNiro's movie genre has taken on the feel of Don Knotts and Tim Conway movies.

Which is still several notches above Will Ferrell and/or Adam Sandler...

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #1402: October 10, 2013, 05:20:45 PM »

Shut your whore mouth! Will Ferrell is a Saint!!!! Anchorman is soooo awesome and I can't wait to see the sequal.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1403: October 10, 2013, 05:21:09 PM »

Proud to say I've never seen a Will Ferrell movie.   :)

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #1404: October 10, 2013, 05:29:03 PM »
Proud to say I've never seen a Will Ferrell movie.   :)

I've only seen trailers...that's been more than enough for me...

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #1405: October 10, 2013, 05:31:16 PM »
Shut your whore mouth! Will Ferrell is a Saint!!!! Anchorman is soooo awesome and I can't wait to see the sequal.

Open a Thesaurus to the term "No Talent" and it'll have his picture...nothing else needs be said...

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #1406: October 10, 2013, 05:32:15 PM »
Gravity was a fantastic movie. Beautifully shot. Legitimately emotional acting by Bullock. It's funny, but for every three or four lousy movies she does, she ends up with a good role.  And damn she looks good for 50, though I imagine there's quite a bit of after polishing that goes in to that. But well worth it, none-the-less.

Think I'll go see Rush tomorrow.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #1407: October 10, 2013, 06:00:20 PM »
Gravity was a fantastic movie. Beautifully shot. Legitimately emotional acting by Bullock. It's funny, but for every three or four lousy movies she does, she ends up with a good role.  And damn she looks good for 50, though I imagine there's quite a bit of after polishing that goes in to that. But well worth it, none-the-less.

would have been better without the happy ending, probably too disturbing/depressing for wide release if they didn't have somewhere to get to though

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #1408: October 10, 2013, 07:11:02 PM »
Open a Thesaurus to the term "No Talent" and it'll have his picture...nothing else needs be said...

I don't watch his movies expecting to see Oscar Award quality roles, I watch him to laugh and if you can't laugh watching Step Brothers, Anchorman, Old School or Taladega Nights, I don't know what to tell you. Although I found The Young Ones insanely funny, so perhaps my tastes leave something to be desired.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #1409: October 10, 2013, 07:19:14 PM »

Will Ferrell is very funny in "Anchorman" and pretty funny in the SNL Sean Connery sketches. Most of his other movies are pretty crappy, but he is talented and can be funny.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #1410: October 10, 2013, 08:04:18 PM »
I'm with you on this. Add The Other Guys to the list. The only movie I didn't think was funny was Elf, and most everyone I know thinks its good, too.

I don't watch his movies expecting to see Oscar Award quality roles, I watch him to laugh and if you can't laugh watching Step Brothers, Anchorman, Old School or Taladega Nights, I don't know what to tell you. Although I found The Young Ones insanely funny, so perhaps my tastes leave something to be desired.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #1411: October 10, 2013, 08:05:21 PM »

Based on trailers?

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #1412: October 10, 2013, 11:10:58 PM »
Will Ferrell is very funny in "Anchorman" and pretty funny in the SNL Sean Connery sketches. Most of his other movies are pretty crappy, but he is talented and can be funny.

he was great in elf, wedding crashers, starsky and hutch, and old school as well.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #1413: October 10, 2013, 11:12:06 PM »

http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/10/4823078/neil-degrasse-tyson-gravity-movie-high-quality

Offline Slateman

« Reply #1414: October 11, 2013, 11:37:55 AM »

would have been better without the happy ending, probably too disturbing/depressing for wide release if they didn't have somewhere to get to though
Hmmm ... I dunno about that. It wouldn't have fit with Bullock's character for her to die at the end. That's what I really appreciated about the movie. It wasn't another Avatar. It wasn't an excuse for cool effects/camera work. There's a legitimate emotional pull to the characters. I was genuinely invested in whether or not they made it.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #1415: October 11, 2013, 11:41:09 AM »
Hmmm ... I dunno about that. It wouldn't have fit with Bullock's character for her to die at the end. That's what I really appreciated about the movie. It wasn't another Avatar. It wasn't an excuse for cool effects/camera work. There's a legitimate emotional pull to the characters. I was genuinely invested in whether or not they made it.

I think a movie with the same opening premise, i.e. cut off in a space walk, but with even remote realism edit for spoiler (sorry terp) after that (i.e. they aren't making it to the ISS let alone a Chinese capsule) would be a great movie

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #1416: October 11, 2013, 11:52:43 AM »
Not much reason to go see it now I suppose...

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1417: October 11, 2013, 11:54:57 AM »

Pretty much the same thing I was thinking.    I thought about this feature.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #1418: October 11, 2013, 11:56:09 AM »
It's worth seeing for the effects and camera work. Honestly, it's worth seeing on a big screen/digital IMAX. However, I don't think it's worth it for 3D

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #1419: October 11, 2013, 11:57:50 AM »
It's worth seeing for the effects and camera work. Honestly, it's worth seeing on a big screen/digital IMAX. However, I don't think it's worth it for 3D

Spoilers man, spoilers.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #1420: October 11, 2013, 03:35:14 PM »

Spoilers man, spoilers.

They're in space.

Offline Slateman

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #1422: October 11, 2013, 10:57:41 PM »
Both will likely bomb.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #1423: October 12, 2013, 05:55:59 PM »
We saw Gravity this afternoon. We both agreed that we didn't really find the story as compelling as many people say, but we were still glad we saw it—and glad we saw it in 3D—because the cinematography was first-rate and we felt the 3D added something. (We saw it in the super-duper "RPX" auditorium.) I'll agree with the folks who say it's more than just special effects. I just didn't necessarily think it was a 10 out of 10 or whatever.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #1424: October 13, 2013, 09:50:35 AM »
Both will likely bomb.

I might give Rock's version a chance.  I always thought "Walking Tall" was a solid flick, even if it didn't do so well at the box office.