Author Topic: Chico makes start for Columbus and has mixed results  (Read 825 times)

Offline sportsfan882

Matt Chico made his 1st of 2 starts for Columbus tonight and had a good outing with the exception of walking 4 batters. 

6 IP 1 H 0 R 0 ER 4 BB 3 SO 0 HR (55 strikes + 34 balls = 89 pitches) Win

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
That's a kick-ass outing.  Get Bacsuck out of Washington, and now.

Offline PC

Those four walks aren't kick-ass!

Offline Air Zimmerman

• best 3b in the business
that 0 earned run is kick ass tho!

Offline vinnysmullet

Those four walks aren't kick-ass!

I agree. It's the walks that got him sent down in the first place. Something was going wrong with his mechanics, and he was struggling with location and walking WAY too many people. If I recall correctly, he walked 14 men in 14 innings before he was sent down.

I am confident that he will return in better form in September.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
These results look mixed to me, and it sounds like Bacsik pitched well again last night. I don't know why people hate this guy so much - he's a good (not great) pitcher and a team player - he never complained about his bullpen demotion.

Offline heatchucker

looks like all 4 were left handed too

Offline fersaltiel

Although he had the 4 walks he did strike out 3 opposing batters which was kinda unusual for him while in the majors. He also pitched 1 hit ball through 6 innings which is pretty damn good!

GO MATTY CHICO!

Offline mikehughes

No way get Ray king out instead
or rauch he sucks again

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
These results look mixed to me, and it sounds like Bacsik pitched well again last night. I don't know why people hate this guy so much - he's a good (not great) pitcher and a team player - he never complained about his bullpen demotion.

Bacsik is a guy you need to watch to really understand why people view him the way they do. In his decent outings he is the luckiest pitcher I have ever seen. Everything is hit hard. Last night he had a diving play by Zimmerman, two balls hit to the stupid hill (one out, one triple), two line drives right at Kearns, and a line drive right to Pena. He just gives up way too many hard hit balls for his luck to last.

arkymark

He has a better era and better record than Chico in the major leagues.  He is statistically comparable to Bergmann, and much better than Simontacchi.  I can see no reason for people to be so nasty about the guy.

Bacsik it is a throw up on what you get.  You want to have confidence in sending your pitcher out to the mound that more often than not they are going to get the job done and keep the team in the game.  With a "healthy" Hill and Patterson you get that gut feeling and even now with Tim Redding you know the guy is going to go out there and more often than not give you everything.  I just don't feel comfortable sending Bacsik out to the mound as a starter.

I am hoping some of our young arms ripen or we get some other options so we don't have to deal with Bascik or Simontacchi next season.

Chico will be back up soon enough and I look forward to seeing him again.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
You gotta remember that Bacsik is our 10th or 12th starter, in that context he's been more than servicable.  Note he got a quality start last night too, it was really the offense that failed to deliver, time after time.

In an improved rotation next season, Bacsik belongs either at AAA as necessary depth, or on the big club as a long relief lefty in the bullpen.  He seems fine in this role so far.

arkymark

That's exactly my point as well -- he's held the dike when the better pitchers are out, and overall his season is about the same as the team's overall season.  Plus, the times I've seen him in long relief he's not given up a run.  He's having a respectable year all things considered and he shouldn't be subject to all this ridicule.  I hope I would do as well if I somehow, miraculously, made it to the top of my profession and had to compete against the very best in the world.

But I recognize that different people enjoy the game in different ways, and for a lot of people expressing extreme personal contempt and dislike for the lesser members of the hometeam seems to be one of those ways. 

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
I like Bacsik for long relief next year, even. Who do we have that performs as well in that role? Certainly not Traber. He gives a different look - Redding can come in and punch out 10, and then Bacsik mops up by pounding the strike zone and getting double play balls. Plus if a righty is getting shelled, you bring in Bacsik and he takes advantage of the matchups.