Poll

Do you agree with Manager Matt Williams' benching of Bryce Harper for an apparent "lack of hustle"?

Yes, he deserved it.
49 (59.8%)
No, he's nursing a strained quad and he had no chance of being safe anyway.
24 (29.3%)
Can't we all just get along?
9 (11%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Voting closed: April 26, 2014, 09:49:53 PM

Author Topic: Poll: The benching of Bryce Harper  (Read 6053 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Poll: The benching of Bryce Harper
« Topic Start: April 19, 2014, 09:49:53 PM »
There seems to be quite a divided opinion on WNFF as to whether the benching by Matt Williams of Bryce Harper today for failing to hustle on a come-backer to the pitcher warranted a benching.  Well?    :shrug:

Offline NatsDad14

Re: Poll: The benching of Bryce Harper
« Reply #1: April 19, 2014, 09:59:13 PM »
Managers these days are moron. They have a stupid obsession with hustle and playing the "right" way. Chipper Jones literally walked on groundballs in his last few years and you didn't see his HOF manager going berserk over it. He might have cost the team the game by pulling him.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #2: April 19, 2014, 10:01:17 PM »

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #3: April 19, 2014, 10:12:47 PM »
I support the benching because I support the manager. I don't know if Matt was trying to fire up the team, maybe Matt had his head up his ass, or maybe he has been having a hard time getting Harper to get with the program. I don't know, so, I support he manager.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #4: April 19, 2014, 10:29:31 PM »
meh

mountain meet molehill

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #5: April 19, 2014, 10:33:51 PM »
Next up, Matt will cancel lunch.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #6: April 19, 2014, 10:45:55 PM »
Like I said, that should have been Matt's last game as manager.

Offline tomwvr

« Reply #7: April 19, 2014, 11:32:54 PM »
I was surprised when I heard about this - Bryce is always going 100%. I thought what the hell is the manager doing. Then I saw the video - Bryce didn't even go to first - he walked off the field half way to first.
 100% unacceptable for Bryce to do what he did.

Sorry but this team doesn't have a manager that sleeps through the games this year.

Tom

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #8: April 20, 2014, 01:03:39 AM »
Sorry but this team doesn't have a manager that sleeps through the games this year.

Tom

I get that Davey seemed to be rather comatose last year but sorry, Matt Williams looks like a wanna be tough guy with this move-it's like being a parent, you've got to pick your battles and this just wasn't the right one to choose :smh:

Offline mmzznnxx

• lol Nats
« Reply #9: April 20, 2014, 01:03:41 AM »
I abstained. I probably would have benched Desmond for a day or two before I benched Harper, for issues unrelated to hustle but still issues, but I understand why he did it. I'm not for the benching, but I'm not against it either. I felt as comfortable with Frandsen in that spot as I would have with Harper.

I do think this team needs some more of a disciplinary figure, whether that ends up well is to be seen, but I understand it. If I had to choose a side I'm ever so slightly on Williams' side.

My bigger issue with Williams is his insistence on Clippard (so far). I understand he thinks it's just a funk, and I hope it is, but I wouldn't put him in the spots he's been in until he looks better. But so far (which is small sample size) I'm okay with Williams.

I hope it reinvigorates Harper and the team, but even if the song remains the same, I think this is

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #10: April 20, 2014, 01:09:56 AM »
I abstained.

WEAK!  Pick a side!! (Unless it's that you truly feel Matt Williams was right to bench Harper, because that's totally the wrong side) ;)

Offline Ray D

« Reply #11: April 20, 2014, 01:25:39 AM »
I'm fine with the benching.

But, as I said (in another thread) Williams should have kept his godam mouth shut about it.  Especially after making it a point  a few games ago to tell us all that what goes on is none of our business..

The benching should have been a sufficient signal that Harper's laziness/attitude will not be tolerated.  Did you listen to Harper's interview? He was essentially incoherent, saying only "I respect Williams" and "this is all part of the game". What's part of the game?  Laziness?   He didn't say anything like "my mistake, I should have run out that ground ball" and I really think the reason he didn't was that he was fed up with Williams going public about it.

No, there isn't any excuse for his laziness, but it was an isolated event that deserved a benching, and nothing more, certainly not a public dressing down.

Harper was in a daze, seemingly disassociated.  I suspect that there is now a disconnect between Harper and Williams that may not be reparable.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #12: April 20, 2014, 02:14:28 AM »
end of 2013 - "we want a manager that holds players accountable when they are lazy."

2014 - "how dare he bench the great Bryce Harper for not running out a groundball?"

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #13: April 20, 2014, 02:22:46 AM »
end of 2013 - "we want a manager that holds players accountable when they are lazy."

2014 - "how dare he bench the great Bryce Harper for not running out a groundball?"

:clap:

Offline ZimW1N

• ResignSoto2025
« Reply #14: April 20, 2014, 02:24:33 AM »
If Harper not playing hard was a constant theme or if this wasn't such an important games (and IDC how early in the season it is winning a series against St Louis would have been big for us no matter when it happened) I'd be more understanding but this just seemed asinine to me; Harper was out no matter what he did so it's not like it would have made a difference in the grand scheme of things.

If we lose this series against St Louis it will be on Matt Williams shoulders.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #15: April 20, 2014, 07:08:09 AM »
I find it interesting and humorous that the forum calls for benchings at the drop of a hat when someone screws up in a game or doesn't hustle, and screams "fire *insert name*" for being lax and not disciplining the players.

but then when a benching happens as a form of discipline, the forum starts crying and wailing and calling for the Manager to be " strung up by the balls but I'd settle for him being burned in effigy."

so which one is it? do you want people held accountable, or do you want the country club?

or maybe, you want certain golden boy players immune to being held accountable for everything?

I was taught when I was playing ball to run out ground balls, no matter what. you run it out, until the Umpire calls the play dead.  hell, sometimes even in little league, i was instructed to run and touch first base, even if the umpire called me out. it was a habit-forming exercise, whose purpose was to instruct me to hustle out every single play. every single one.

nothing wrong with Bryce being benched for not doing so. unless you think Bryce should be immune to discipline.

I wonder if there would have been as much uproar about it, if it was Espinosa, or some other "lesser" player getting benched for not hustling.

freakin fanboys. :smh:

Offline blue911

« Reply #16: April 20, 2014, 08:27:20 AM »
Should have kicked his ass in the dugout then pissed in his gas tank and keyed his truck.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #17: April 20, 2014, 08:43:49 AM »
Should have just made Bryce spend a day off with Blue

Should have kicked his ass in the dugout then pissed in his gas tank and keyed his truck.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #18: April 20, 2014, 08:48:02 AM »
Not enough information. Was this a first time offense? If so, Williams overreacted. If not, then it's his preregotive as the manager to send the message.

But, really, watch any game and you'll see players doing this all the time.

What I really don't like is that this gives all the Bryce haters out there more things to talk about.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #19: April 20, 2014, 09:23:23 AM »
I'm fine with it. I have a feeling there were some things leading up to it and this was final straw. Hopefully they hug and make up today. The Nats need Harper to get hot.

Offline blue911

« Reply #20: April 20, 2014, 09:24:58 AM »
Should have just made Bryce spend a day off with Blue

hey that's not a bad idea, he doesn't drink so.....

Offline Ray D

« Reply #21: April 20, 2014, 09:28:55 AM »

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #22: April 20, 2014, 09:31:33 AM »
I think it was an overreaction that hurt us later on.  Talk to him in the tunnel afterwards, don't make it a big scene. 

Offline Ray D

« Reply #23: April 20, 2014, 09:36:17 AM »
Harper was out no matter what he did

Well, not exactly.   The throw could have gone over the firstbaseman's head.  The firstbaseman could have lost the ball on the exchange under the new rule (the point that Williams made) and when Harper veered out of the baseline towards the dugout he was automatically out no matter what happened.

I would say there was a 99+% probability he was going to be out, but not 100%.  Still, 99+% is good enough for me if he was weighing the risk of injury. But not if he was deliberately dogging it out of frustration.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #24: April 20, 2014, 10:18:00 AM »
Teammate Jayson Werth didn't seem surprised that Harper was taken out of the game.

"I've played on teams where, if you don't hustle, you get taken out of the game. It's pretty standard," Werth said. "You talk about taking care of your area, that's not my area."

If it were 3Kespi, this would be a near unanimous solution: