Author Topic: Ballpark and area news  (Read 7847 times)

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
Re: Ballpark and area news
« Reply #75: February 08, 2012, 10:17:49 AM »
...delightful, another place for lobbyists and other politisheep to hang out before and after matches, in their business suits and Red Sox caps...I think I'll just stick with what's on offer inside the park, thank you (haven't seen anything yet among the new openings that's even remotely attractive).

How can anyone object to a full scale brewery with a tasting room?

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #76: February 08, 2012, 10:47:22 AM »
How can anyone object to a full scale brewery with a tasting room?

Nothing wrong with that, of course...it's the Baaaaaaaaaaaaahston affiliation (with the attraction that holds for lobbyists and other politisheep, many of whom are alumni of Baaaaaaaaaaaaahston-area universities and/or prep schools - as if this area didn't have enough dedicated watering-holes for Red Sux Nation) that makes it distasteful. It's just going to be another club with doormen, an upmarket version of the Bullpen.

In fact I am completely unimpressed with all of the impending offerings.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #77: February 08, 2012, 10:48:24 AM »
...delightful, another place for lobbyists and other politisheep to hang out before and after matches, in their business suits and Red Sox caps...I think I'll just stick with what's on offer inside the park, thank you (haven't seen anything yet among the new openings that's even remotely attractive).

:jca batsignal:

8)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #78: February 08, 2012, 11:07:32 AM »
She's the brewer, not the bouncer.  She does not control the crowd. 

That said, I never heard of Cambridge Brewing up in Boston. There was john harvard's brew pub of course, and several microbrews, but I don't remember these guys.

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #79: February 15, 2012, 09:16:03 AM »
She's the brewer, not the bouncer.  She does not control the crowd.[...]

It's still to all appearances planned as a Red Sux Nation local, a place for people with Strasburg jerseys in Red-Sox-typeface lettering (people who I'd throw out of Nats Park even faster than I would Phillies bus-loads) to hang out.

Open a place in the neighbourhood with good beer, no dress codes, no sales pitch to Red Sux Nation and no doormen doing their idiotic Studio 54 shtick and I'll give it a go...as stated earlier, thus far I am 100% unimpressed.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #80: February 15, 2012, 09:44:17 AM »
It's still to all appearances planned as a Red Sux Nation local, a place for people with Strasburg jerseys in Red-Sox-typeface lettering (people who I'd throw out of Nats Park even faster than I would Phillies bus-loads) to hang out.

Open a place in the neighbourhood with good beer, no dress codes, no sales pitch to Red Sux Nation and no doormen doing their idiotic Studio 54 shtick and I'll give it a go...as stated earlier, thus far I am 100% unimpressed.

Where have you seen come-ons to Red Sox nation from this place?

Just because the brewer worked in Boston it's a Red Sox bar?

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #81: February 15, 2012, 10:02:56 AM »
Where have you seen come-ons to Red Sox nation from this place?

Just because the brewer worked in Boston it's a Red Sox bar?

From BiL's original post of 25th January in this thread:

'Maybe more important, however, is the fact that NRG has hired a head brewer: Megan Parisi, former lead brewer at Cambridge Brewing Co. in Massachusetts.'

Not just 'worked in Boston' but held a management position in the company...guilty until proven innocent. Besides, it's the clientele that ultimately makes a place - even if she does try to sell the place strongly to real Nats fans, if the place gets taken over nightly by the Red Sox Nation yuppie/politisheep crowd that's what will decide.

The Red Sox Nation obsession has gotten out of hand...it has absolutely overrun this area. Right round the corner from where I work there's a place with a real identity crisis - it's decked out in a Dallas Cowboys colour scheme but regularly flies University of Wisconsin and Packers banners...except during baseball season when they've got a Red Sox flag up. It's really gone over the top.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #82: February 15, 2012, 10:40:18 AM »
My Chelsea - your paranoia is enough to make me wear my Red Sox shirt & hat when the Yankees are here

From BiL's original post of 25th January in this thread:

'Maybe more important, however, is the fact that NRG has hired a head brewer: Megan Parisi, former lead brewer at Cambridge Brewing Co. in Massachusetts.'

Not just 'worked in Boston' but held a management position in the company...guilty until proven innocent. Besides, it's the clientele that ultimately makes a place - even if she does try to sell the place strongly to real Nats fans, if the place gets taken over nightly by the Red Sox Nation yuppie/politisheep crowd that's what will decide.

The Red Sox Nation obsession has gotten out of hand...it has absolutely overrun this area. Right round the corner from where I work there's a place with a real identity crisis - it's decked out in a Dallas Cowboys colour scheme but regularly flies University of Wisconsin and Packers banners...except during baseball season when they've got a Red Sox flag up. It's really gone over the top.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #83: February 15, 2012, 12:57:16 PM »
The Red Sox Nation obsession has gotten out of hand...
Agreed.  Some are just obsessed.

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #84: February 17, 2012, 09:36:06 AM »
My Chelsea - your paranoia is enough to make me wear my Red Sox shirt & hat when the Yankees are here

Paranoia?

When will this ballclub and its neighbours stop catering to other fans - selling tickets to Philly bus groups one day (and later backtracking in the clumsy 'Take Back the Park' move that's left this organisation a league-wide laughingstock), laying out plans for a Red Sox Nation bar (when there's already a bajillion of same in this area) another day - and start building an identity of its own?

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #85: February 17, 2012, 10:37:52 AM »
Paranoia?

When will this ballclub and its neighbours stop catering to other fans - selling tickets to Philly bus groups one day (and later backtracking in the clumsy 'Take Back the Park' move that's left this organisation a league-wide laughingstock), laying out plans for a Red Sox Nation bar (when there's already a bajillion of same in this area) another day - and start building an identity of its own?

Wow. There's a little bit of a dose of the crazy in there - complaining about the Take Back the Park thing is fine. I'm on board there.

But the Nats have nothing to do with the development of the area around the Park - and EVEN IF there was a Red Sox Bar going in (And there is not), it wouldn't be the Nats fault. The head brewer worked in the Boston area, quit that job and moved to the DC area for her husband's job, and is now going to be the brewmaster in DC. That doesn't add up to being a Red Sox Bar to me.

Edit: I found the WaPo article that talked about her hire - she played clarinet in the US Navy Band while stationed at the Navy Yards. So, she's ex-military. So, instead of a Red Sox bar, maybe it will be like an "officer's club" - or she could attract fellow woodwind players... it's as much of a stretch as her attracting Red Sox fans...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/all-we-can-eat/post/parisi-named-head-beermaker-for-nrgs-new-brewery/2012/01/24/gIQAJ9DsNQ_blog.html

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #86: February 17, 2012, 11:34:40 AM »
I can see a lot of Benny Goodman records being played at a woodwind bar and not some good DC jazz like Duke Ellington.  :rant:

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #87: February 17, 2012, 11:47:51 AM »
[...]Edit: I found the WaPo article that talked about her hire - she played clarinet in the US Navy Band while stationed at the Navy Yards. So, she's ex-military. So, instead of a Red Sox bar, maybe it will be like an "officer's club" - or she could attract fellow woodwind players... it's as much of a stretch as her attracting Red Sox fans...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/all-we-can-eat/post/parisi-named-head-beermaker-for-nrgs-new-brewery/2012/01/24/gIQAJ9DsNQ_blog.html

We'll see...as I said earlier, it's the clientele that will make or break the place, not the intentions of the founders* - and word getting round about an entity that apparently had a pretty good rep in Baaaaaaaaaaaaahston could bring the entitlement-besotted (and heavily politically-connected and - worse - incredibly full-of-themselves) fandom in. Whether or not Megan Parisi actually set out from day one to start a Red Sox local here, the clientele will ultimately answer that question.

If it's got no overt Red Sox orientation, and if it's got no dress codes and no doormen, I might actually give it a go...if not, no major tragedy - there's plenty of beer in the vicinity of TBSITH.

*for a spectacular example of just how off-the-rails it can go (in terms of targeting one clientele and missing horribly), check out the history of the (now-defunct) Firkin pub chain in England

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #88: April 09, 2012, 10:24:07 PM »
The Yards parking lots across First Street are a good option and are not listed on the Nats page 'cause they're operated privately. Go to http://www.networkparking.net/theyardsbaseball/index.shtml for information.

They're cheaper ($15-$25) than comparable Nats lots and they allow some tailgating (but no grilling.)

You get reduced rates (by $5) if you buy 20 or more passes. Best thing is that you don't have to buy for a whole season. That's ideal for ticket groups who have some members who want parking and some who don't.

Thanks for a great tip, got my passes today.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #89: April 11, 2012, 10:44:29 AM »
From Justin's Cafe: http://www.justinscafeevents.com/info/

On the heels of its two year anniversary, Justin’s will be hosting an Opening Day block party to commemorate our excitement for the 2012 baseball season and our love for the Washington Nationals. Join us as we celebrate the beginning of baseball season on April 14th, 2012, from 11AM-9PM (Rain or Shine!) with food, craft beer, live music, and other fun activities!

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #90: September 14, 2012, 04:45:32 PM »
bump.  I'm not sure if this is oru best restaurrant list, but there are a few mentioned in this thread.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #91: November 17, 2012, 08:29:55 PM »
Bump. It probably won't be open come Opening Day, but Canal Park DC opened today. It's an outdoor skating rink, with a restaurant. It's on 2nd St., SE between K and M.

http://www.canalparkdc.org/ice-rink

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #92: January 18, 2013, 10:42:11 AM »
According to today's WaPo: Morning links: Greg Engert eyes May opening for Bluejacket

ChurchKey’s Greg Engert says the long-awaited Bluejacket — the most anticipated tenant of the Nationals Park-adjacent Boilermaker Shops – will open in May. [Esquire via @jdland]

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/food-for-men/churchkey-bartender-dc-14985993

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #93: January 18, 2013, 10:45:05 AM »
I'm sorry but I don't trust anyone that looks like this:

Online blue911

« Reply #94: January 18, 2013, 11:18:30 AM »

(Image removed from quote.)

His jacket isn't even blue. What a freaking liar.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #95: January 18, 2013, 11:27:33 AM »

That jacket makes the customer blue.
By gawd, it makes him you.   :)

You do not like them.
SO you say.
Try them! Try them!
And you may.
Try them and you may I say.*

* thanks Dr. Seuss

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #96: January 18, 2013, 11:39:04 AM »
open the bars ... i'll give you all my money.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #97: January 18, 2013, 01:35:01 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)
Nice guy, really knows his beer.

Aren't you the last guy that should judge someone on their appearance?

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #98: January 18, 2013, 01:52:53 PM »
Aren't you the last guy that should judge someone on their appearance?

I wear Armani suits, drive a Maserati, and spend 20 hours a week at the gym.  So, no.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #99: January 18, 2013, 01:58:16 PM »
Why do you care ?