Author Topic: Space. The Final Frontier.  (Read 75546 times)

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
Re: Space. The Final Frontier.
« Reply #425: February 15, 2013, 03:28:04 PM »
Not true. Earlier today Gingrich blamed Obama, Santorum blamed the media and Bachmann blamed gay people.
:lmao:

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #426: February 15, 2013, 03:33:27 PM »
yeah b/c i listen to those guys.

If you wanted to have a rational discussion then why make the Bush comment?  It seems so silly....

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #427: February 15, 2013, 03:34:18 PM »
If you wanted to have a rational discussion then why make the Bush comment?  It seems so silly....

oh my god, taking things wayyyyyyyyy to serious for a friday afternoon discussion.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #428: February 15, 2013, 03:34:29 PM »
shouldn't you be pitching somewhere?

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #429: February 15, 2013, 03:39:23 PM »
shouldn't you be pitching somewhere?

Visa issues for Minty.    Ain't he a catcher?

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #430: February 15, 2013, 03:42:49 PM »

visa issues getting into the country ... def Bush's fault.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #431: February 15, 2013, 03:45:51 PM »
In Close Encounters of the Third Kind, R2-D2 from Star Wars can be seen hanging from the bottom of the ship.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #432: February 15, 2013, 03:45:58 PM »
You're the one who whined about the Bush haterz, HATER.

Grab a bat, nag, and step into the box.   8)

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #433: February 15, 2013, 03:46:42 PM »

I don't need a visa to get off the reservation.   :P

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #434: February 15, 2013, 03:46:50 PM »
Google's doodle today

but removed because of PC and lack of a sense of humor and all

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #435: February 15, 2013, 04:19:31 PM »
Google's doodle today

(Image removed from quote.)

that is awesome.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #436: February 15, 2013, 04:22:51 PM »
Google's doodle today

(Image removed from quote.)

agreed with imref that's great.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #437: February 16, 2013, 05:29:05 PM »

Offline Coladar

« Reply #438: February 21, 2013, 04:55:24 AM »
I find it depressing news like this is relegated to the twilight zone while you can't get away from that South African murder case if you tried. Maybe it's my craziness/nerdness asserting itself, but in the grand scheme of things this is one of the biggest astronomy stories in the past few years:

http://www.sciencerecorder.com/news/nasas-kepler-telescope-discovers-tiny-planet-system/

Nothing shocking or unexpected, nor earth shattering. But... we've now discovered a planet the size of the goddamn moon. Smaller even than Mercury. Oh, and another one in the same system half the size of Earth, and a third twice Earth's size. All rocky, all insanely close to the star, with 12-40 day orbits. The star is similar to our sun, the smallest has a surface temp of 700°F.

But three years ago we found it incredible to 'see' planets several times larger than Jupiter in orbits close to Mercury's. I'll repeat it again: now we've found a planet the size of the goddamn moon around a Sun-like star 50 light years away.

Several things gleaned from this... This is the start of us realizing most of the universe's stellar systems are like ours with small rocky worlds close to the star, larger gas giants further out. The simple reality of the technology led to finding so many boiling Jupiters that some were starting to ponder if we were the aberration. It's pretty much the final step before we start finding an endless number of habitable worlds similar in size to Earth and with temperatures suitable for water on the surface. Oh, and we found a planet the size of the goddamn moon 50 light years away. Simply incredible.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #439: February 26, 2013, 04:20:58 PM »

Offline imref

« Reply #440: March 01, 2013, 08:20:22 AM »

Offline eckseid

« Reply #442: March 09, 2013, 04:10:16 PM »

Pretty cool video. Wasn't going to watch all of it, but I ended up watching it all.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #443: March 21, 2013, 08:25:34 PM »
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2013/mar/21/planck-telescope-light-big-bang-universe
http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2013/0321/Has-Voyager-1-left-the-solar-system-Probably-not-but-it-s-close
http://www.space.com/20273-curiosity-mars-rover-safe-mode.html

Apart from North Korea, my other obsession is all things astronomical. The rare occasion that finds me outside my bunker, I try to keep abreast. Three decent stories this week.

First, Planck. Amazing dataset looking into the dawn of the universe, and it also shows A. How europe is kicking our ass even in unmanned science. B. How much can be accomplished with little money in comparison to some NASA $ sinkholes. C. Why space should never be commercialized, and why NASA's push toward private industry is a mistake and will never be able to replace governmental space exploration. No corporation launches Planck or prior CMB probes given no $ to be made. Oh, and the universe got another 0.1 billion years older.

Voyager... Awesome. Just awesome. The pinnacle of human achievement. Our first step outside our solar system.

Curiosity... I'm not thrilled with NASA over this. It appears they got spoiled rotten with Spirit and Opportunity. Seven months on, and they've drilled one pebble. It's a damn miracle the thing survived that crazy landing system, but it did... This thing can run circles around the other rovers speedwise, and so far it has crawled along like a snail. Great, except it isn't. Computer A gets hit with radiation a week back, now on to Computer B and more troubles. They don't have a backup for the backup, so if they lose them both that's all she wrote.

I wish they'd realize how amazing it is that it made it there, and that seven months running is equally miraculous. Time to throw precaution to the wind and actually do something, spin that puppies wheels and go somewhere. They're being so cautious taking it safe and slow, when any day a CME could happen or the computer crash. Seven months on, little accomplished and even less ground traveled. Let's hope it works out and Curiosity lives forever, but it doesn't look too swift right now.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #444: March 24, 2013, 12:50:05 PM »
I saw this on Facebook and had to share:

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #445: March 24, 2013, 12:55:29 PM »
I saw this on Facebook and had to share:

:lmao:

Offline Slateman

Offline imref

« Reply #447: April 17, 2013, 04:28:20 PM »
At 5PM today NASA and Orbital Sciences will launch a rocket from Wallops Island MD, it should be visible to much of the D.C. area, low in the eastern sky.  See below for a viewing map.

http://www.universetoday.com/101449/how-to-spot-the-antares-launch-from-nasa-wallops-on-wednesday/

And follow the countdown at:
https://twitter.com/universetoday

Offline imref

« Reply #448: April 17, 2013, 04:59:45 PM »
never mind, they scrubbed the launch for 48 hours due to "premature umbilical separation in the 2nd stage"

#antares is the twitter hashtag for the launch.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #449: April 17, 2013, 05:33:07 PM »
never mind, they scrubbed the launch for 48 hours due to "premature umbilical separation in the 2nd stage"

#antares is the twitter hashtag for the launch.

He tasks me!  He tasks me, and I shall have him! I'll chase him round the Moons of Nibia, and round the Antares Maelstrom, and round Perdition's flames before I give him up!