Author Topic: Food and How you Cook/Eat it (2013)  (Read 14902 times)

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
Re: Food and How you Cook/Eat it (2013)
« Reply #50: January 14, 2013, 12:24:06 PM »
Sounds great.

Yeah, bbq chicken with a crunchy coat? om nom nom...

Offline saltydad

« Reply #51: January 15, 2013, 12:27:38 AM »
Anyone else enjoy the irony?

Back in college, I used to work at a grill that had a sandwich called an "Obscenity."  Hot dog (split lengthwise) with bacon and 'merkin cheese on a bagel.

That what you get when a nice Jewish boy marries a nice Episcopal girl.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #52: January 15, 2013, 07:06:11 AM »
Tried it. Turned out well.

Wife then uses that express moment to tell me she doesn't like dark meat

Offline saltydad

« Reply #53: January 15, 2013, 01:45:07 PM »
I hate white meat in foul. Too dry and tasteless for me.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #54: January 15, 2013, 10:14:44 PM »
Ah, but some jerk paste or chili sesame oil and it's a whole different critter

I hate white meat in foul. Too dry and tasteless for me.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #55: January 15, 2013, 10:16:49 PM »
Ah, but some jerk paste or chili sesame oil and it's a whole different critter

If the goal is to lose all feeling on the surface of your tongue, sure.

• babble on
« Reply #56: January 15, 2013, 10:24:33 PM »
mthhwupthumpthwat?

If the goal is to lose all feeling on the surface of your tongue, sure.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #57: January 15, 2013, 10:27:24 PM »
anyone ever watch this show?  I'm dying to try some of her recipes but I need to get to an asian market:

http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/chinese-food-made-easy/index.html

Offline blue911

« Reply #58: January 16, 2013, 02:44:10 AM »
anyone ever watch this show?  I'm dying to try some of her recipes but I need to get to an asian market:

http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/chinese-food-made-easy/index.html

There's one at the corner of rte.28 & rte 29 in Centreville

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #59: January 16, 2013, 09:20:27 AM »
There's one at the corner of rte.28 & rte 29 in Centreville

There's also one on Old Lee Highway just south of Fairfax Circle—intersection of Old Lee Highway and Old Pickett Road across the street from where the MEMCO/Bradlees/Hechinger stores used to be (I think there's a Home Depot there now). Lotte is the name of the store and I think it may be predominantly Korean, if that matters. I went in there once looking for an ingredient and one of the employees' kids was there, looked to be about 10 or so, and I was glad because his English was very good and easy to understand! Many of the signs on the shelves were in characters.

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #60: January 16, 2013, 09:28:12 AM »
There are also some good asian markets around Culmore and also one down where the old Bruce's Variety used to be.

Offline imref

« Reply #61: January 16, 2013, 09:55:01 AM »
There's also one on Old Lee Highway just south of Fairfax Circle—intersection of Old Lee Highway and Old Pickett Road across the street from where the MEMCO/Bradlees/Hechinger stores used to be (I think there's a Home Depot there now). Lotte is the name of the store and I think it may be predominantly Korean, if that matters. I went in there once looking for an ingredient and one of the employees' kids was there, looked to be about 10 or so, and I was glad because his English was very good and easy to understand! Many of the signs on the shelves were in characters.

there's a world market in manassas as well, haven't been there yet though.  I've been to the one in Chantilly and Fairfax,  both are kind of crazy.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #62: January 16, 2013, 10:15:45 AM »
there's a world market in manassas as well, haven't been there yet though.  I've been to the one in Chantilly and Fairfax,  both are kind of crazy.

If you're referring to the chain named World Market, there's one in Kingstowne too. It's quite different from the full-service ethnic grocery stores, though.

I went to a Latin American supermarket (Bestway on Telegraph Road near the Beltway) a week or so ago to get some stuff for making chili in the slow cooker. The meats looked pretty good in there. I felt more comfortable there than at the Korean store simply because the signs are in the same alphabet we use (I don't speak Spanish, but I can often figure out what words mean if I look at the printed words—the same does not usually apply in languages that use a different alphabet unless there's a logo or something that gives away what a word means!).

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #63: January 16, 2013, 12:53:40 PM »
For my Asian goods, I like going to:

Grandmart in Gaithersburg
Kam Sam in Rockville
Great Wall in Falls Church

There are a lot if you know where to look, but the biggest/most popular one is definitely Great Wall. I know all my Asian friends tend to make a pilgrimage there every month or so, same way most people make the pilgrimage to Costco every few weeks.

But just type in "Asian supermarket" in Yelp, there are definitely a lot in the DMV area.

• babble on
« Reply #64: January 16, 2013, 01:42:42 PM »
I love condiments, so those Asian markets are heaven for me.  Especially now that many of them have started stocking Latino and other ethnic foods...you can get hot sauces from like 10 countries in one store. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #65: January 20, 2013, 02:05:08 PM »
In the eating / ordering department, I went to Teaism in Old Town and had a dish I think AtBC would like.  They had what they call a Roasted Thai Chicken Salad, described below:
Roasted Thai Chicken Salad carrot, cucumber, cabbage,
tomato & lime herb vinaigrette with roasted rice crisps 8.50

Nice spice and crunch to it, with a fair amount of cilantro.  They don't have it at Dupont circle or 8th & D yet, but it seems like they are trying out dishes at Old Town and adding them at the other restaurants.  LaFayette Park has the old curry chicken salad, which is good but is mayo based while this has the vinagrette.

I had it with their Ceylon Tea (New Vithanakanda Estate), but the spice was enough that I might have been better off just getting their Green (Morroccan-style) Mint ice tea.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #66: January 20, 2013, 06:59:52 PM »
Made this Mexican lasagna during the NFC game and now we are letting it stand for half an hour before eating. Got the recipe from a guy on the UVA forum and this is the first time I've tried it.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #67: January 20, 2013, 07:01:15 PM »
With that much cheese it has to be amazing.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #68: January 20, 2013, 07:37:16 PM »
Houston, you might like this subreddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/foodpictures

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #69: January 20, 2013, 08:11:40 PM »
With that much cheese it has to be amazing.

It had around two 8-ounce bags of Sargento four-cheese Mexican blend (reduced fat!). Turned out to be fabulous. Ms1995hoo was quite impressed after being very skeptical of the whole concept. She liked it so much she wants me to make it again for the Super Bowl.

We have a substantial amount left over for lunch/dinner this week.

If anyone wants the recipe I can post it this week (I'm typing this via iPad and I have the recipe on here as a .PDF that I can't easily copy and paste here).

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #70: January 20, 2013, 08:28:28 PM »
Made some sushi tonight. 3 varieties: California Roll, Eel (Unagi) Roll and Salmon Avocado roll.

Offline imref

« Reply #71: January 20, 2013, 09:55:47 PM »
:az:

where do you buy the fish?

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #72: January 20, 2013, 10:06:27 PM »
:az:

where do you buy the fish?
My local Grandmart sells sushi-grade salmon and tuna. I bought the best salmon on the shelf, and they were packaged today and seed fresh. However, the tuna had been packaged a few days ago and it looked fishy, so I didn't go for tuna.

I will tell you if I get sick tomorrow :lol: first time working with store-bought sushi-grade fish.

• babble on
« Reply #73: January 20, 2013, 10:20:23 PM »
Where did you get the eel?  I read somewhere that the Japanese fishery has pretty much collapsed and that inshore fishermen in Maine and the Canadian maritimes aren't even bothering with lobsters since eels are so $$$ right now. 

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #74: January 20, 2013, 10:44:40 PM »
Where did you get the eel?  I read somewhere that the Japanese fishery has pretty much collapsed and that inshore fishermen in Maine and the Canadian maritimes aren't even bothering with lobsters since eels are so $$$ right now. 
I have definitely seen eel prices skyrocket, but I got one eel fillet for $15 from grandmart. Pre BBQ'd in the frozen section.

Same amount of eel used to go for $8 four or three years ago.