Author Topic: Food and How you Cook/Eat it (2013)  (Read 14978 times)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Food and How you Cook/Eat it (2013)
« Reply #25: January 11, 2013, 09:44:27 PM »
i used a couple of those new Knorr stocks recently to make a soup, fantastic stuff.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #26: January 11, 2013, 09:48:16 PM »
Is it dry like bouillon or liquid?

i used a couple of those new Knorr stocks recently to make a soup, fantastic stuff.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #27: January 11, 2013, 09:51:23 PM »
I think I've used those, it's like a jello consistency.

• babble on
« Reply #28: January 11, 2013, 09:55:32 PM »
...m-m-m-marrow...

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #29: January 11, 2013, 09:55:57 PM »
One of the ladies on the cleaning crew at work has chickens and sells eggs for $1 a dozen.  I got a dozen and made eggs over easy for breakfast.  I don't know if I'm imagining it or not, but I swear they taste better.  I always just assumed yolks were yellow, but these are a real deep orangeish yellow color.  The only down side is that it's nearly impossible to make hard-boiled eggs that you can peel with them because they are so fresh.  Not to mention cheaper than in the store.

Yeah, it's because those chickens aren't traumatized their entire life to meet farm quotas. The eggs definitely taste better and look healthier when the chickens are healthier.

We might get some chickens at some point. Last I checked I'm fine with Fairfax County zoning. I'd just have to figure out how to keep the foxes away.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #30: January 11, 2013, 09:58:33 PM »

We might get some chickens at some point. Last I checked I'm fine with Fairfax County zoning. I'd just have to figure out how to keep the foxes away.

Coyotes too, possibly.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/resources/coyote-update-2012.htm

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #31: January 11, 2013, 10:05:15 PM »
Dude, my neighbor was telling me about Coyotes in our area. I was even thinking about them when I made that post.

Surprisingly enough, we've never seen one here. It seems if there's wildlife, the encroaching McMansions push them into our little 'hood. Nice link, though, thanks.

Online imref

« Reply #32: January 11, 2013, 10:06:14 PM »

that's the stuff.   I remember seeing Marco Pierre White endorsing it on TV, the guy Anthony Bourdain said was the ultimate "rebel" chef and the reason why Bourdain got into cooking.  It touched off a bit of a firestorm when he became a corporate shill:

http://eater.com/archives/2011/08/05/marco-pierre-white-is-now-shilling-for-knorr-in-the-us.php

anyway, the stuff is pretty good.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #33: January 11, 2013, 10:06:55 PM »

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #34: January 11, 2013, 10:07:43 PM »
Dude, my neighbor was telling me about Coyotes in our area. I was even thinking about them when I made that post.

Surprisingly enough, we've never seen one here. It seems if there's wildlife, the encroaching McMansions push them into our little 'hood. Nice link, though, thanks.

I've never knowingly seen one.  Heard some out in the Shenandoah Valley a couple of years back while camping one night.  I know a couple of folks who've seen them in Oakton, but they're exceptionally stealthy and shy.

Online imref

« Reply #35: January 11, 2013, 10:22:59 PM »
Had hotpot at home with all my Asian friends... sooo gooood.

:az:

• babble on
« Reply #36: January 11, 2013, 10:36:47 PM »
I've seen or heard them three times in Rock Creek Park while biking home on holidays (i.e. when there are no cars on Beach Drive).  One time a pair ran alongside me for a while yipping and yapping (I didn't get a very good look, but I could see them silhouetted against the snow, and they were NOT foxes).  A US Park Police cop I was chatting with had seen one down by the tidal basin.  They are here.

I've never knowingly seen one.  Heard some out in the Shenandoah Valley a couple of years back while camping one night.  I know a couple of folks who've seen them in Oakton, but they're exceptionally stealthy and shy.

Online 1995hoo

« Reply #37: January 12, 2013, 07:27:38 PM »
Tonight I was looking for something to do with leftover pork chops and a Bing search led me to the recipe linked below. The name is absurd—the guy calls it "Grunt"—but the result was excellent. We found the cooking times on the stove to be a tad longer than needed, but then all stoves vary a bit. We made Spanish yellow rice instead of the noodles and it was a very good meal with a bottle of Riesling.

http://cookingfortwo.about.com/od/maindishes/r/grunt.htm

Offline saltydad

« Reply #38: January 13, 2013, 01:13:46 AM »
This is a great way to have pork chops, and easy to do. If you want you can substitute dry mustard for the Dijon.

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 boneless pork chops (about 1-inch thick each)
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Freshly ground pepper
2 small shallots, finely chopped
3/4 cup dry white wine
2 tablespoons whipping cream
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon

1. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a large ovenproof skillet. Season the pork chops with the salt and pepper to taste. Add them to the skillet; brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer the skillet to the oven; cook until cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes.

2. Remove the pork from the oven; transfer to a plate. Cover with foil to keep warm. Set the skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots; cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the wine; heat to a boil, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Reduce heat; simmer until wine is reduced by half. Stir in the cream; simmer until the sauce just thickens. Stir in the mustard and tarragon.

3.  Place the chops on a plate and spoon sauce over.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #39: January 13, 2013, 10:13:24 AM »
4 boneless pork chops (about 1-inch thick each)
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

Anyone else enjoy the irony?

Back in college, I used to work at a grill that had a sandwich called an "Obscenity."  Hot dog (split lengthwise) with bacon and 'merkin cheese on a bagel.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #40: January 13, 2013, 11:20:56 AM »

Back in college, I used to work at a grill that had a sandwich called an "Obscenity."  Hot dog (split lengthwise) with bacon and 'merkin cheese on a bagel.

I think a lot of non-Jewish folks are clueless as to what is or isn't "Kosher".  I can still remember how befuddled I was when I borrowed Arnie Goldberg's hamburger cooker and how mad he got at me when he found out.    :shrug:

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #41: January 13, 2013, 11:51:48 AM »
So why did he get mad ?

I think a lot of non-Jewish folks are clueless as to what is or isn't "Kosher".  I can still remember how befuddled I was when I borrowed Arnie Goldberg's hamburger cooker and how mad he got at me when he found out.    :shrug:

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #42: January 13, 2013, 01:16:34 PM »
So why did he get mad ?

Did you make cheeseburgers?

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #44: January 13, 2013, 03:29:29 PM »
So why did he get mad ?

It's been a long time, but I think because I cooked non-kosher beef in his applicance, even though I washed it it was therefore tainted.   :shrug:   Maybe because I am a heathen?  No idea really, but at least I know now to ask if the potential for trouble exists.

I roomed with Arnie for a couple of months in an apartment as I finished up my degree at Maryland.  Otherwise we got along fine.  His sister, Karen, was a guitar player/singer who was popular in local clubs and bars at the time.  I think she got the talent genes in the family.    :lol:

http://www.karengoldbergmusic.com/

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #45: January 13, 2013, 04:30:29 PM »
There's a way to kosherize plates or pots that inadvertently become non-Kosher.  I don't know the ins and outs, but it is like burning them out or burying them.  Meanwhile, Arnie could not use it. 

Reminds me of an attorney who I used to work with who had to tell her husband to not put roux in a soup so she could eat it during passover. 

Online 1995hoo

« Reply #46: January 14, 2013, 11:55:08 AM »
When I was in the Boy Scouts, one of the other guys my age and his father (who was an assistant Scoutmaster) were Jewish and came from a strictly kosher household. They always demanded that camping trip menus include pork chops for dinner and bacon at breakfast.

I think tomterp has it right because there are a lot more rules than just whether the food item has one of those kosher logos on it—such as the rules about dishes and cookware. I remember I worked with a guy who went over to Stacks, a kosher deli that used to be located at 11th & Pennsylvania in DC where Fogo de Chao is now. He complained that they would not serve him Swiss cheese on his corned beef sandwich. Of course, it was a KOSHER DELI. He said, "How do they expect to stay in business if they won't serve what you want?" My reaction was, "Why the heck do you go to a place that openly states they're a kosher deli and then complain that they won't violate their own dietary rules?" To me it's like going to a vegetarian restaurant and complaining that they won't serve you beef.

(The reason the place closed was not the kosher thing but rather (a) high prices and (b) more importantly, Jack Abramoff was apparently the biggest shareholder.)

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #47: January 14, 2013, 12:20:45 PM »
Want to run an idea by you.

I have some chicken soaking in BBQ sauce to grill up. However, I was thinking of using the last of my shake and bake, and coating the chicken in it, and then cooking it up like I normally do.

Anyone think that could be decent? Or horrible?

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #48: January 14, 2013, 12:22:10 PM »
Sounds great.

Want to run an idea by you.

I have some chicken soaking in BBQ sauce to grill up. However, I was thinking of using the last of my shake and bake, and coating the chicken in it, and then cooking it up like I normally do.

Anyone think that could be decent? Or horrible?

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #49: January 14, 2013, 12:23:31 PM »
It should have been called "The Abomination."