Author Topic: I'm a jacka**  (Read 1530 times)

Offline LetsGoNats

• We're Nat Gonna Take It!
I'm a jacka**
« Topic Start: April 22, 2006, 12:51:34 AM »
First, I'll start with the fact that I'm by no means a casual fan of the Nats.  I went to 25 games last year, 2 spring training games this year, the "Battle of the Beltway" pre-season game, and the opener.  Never once did I leave before the last out of the game, even if we were getting pounded.

I had tickets tonight & had looked forward to it all week.   I knew it was supposed to rain this afternoon & tonight, so all day at work I kept checking out weather.com for the forecast.  It said it was going to rain, but I could see outside that it was holding off.  8) So, about 5:15, I head to the metro & I'm on my way.  Still not raining.  I come out at the metro at RFK & it's raining.   :cry: By the time I get to the stadium (~6:45), it's pouring.  I go in & go to my seat and they cover the infield and delay the game.   About this time my wife & son arrive (they drove from home).  We waited over an hour & it's raining like crazy with no sign of letting up.  My wife decides she wants to leave because she's cold & tired, so we agree that she'll take the car & go on home and my son & I will take the Metro home.  

Well, she's gone about 10 minutes when I hear one of the beer vendors tell another beer vendor that "They've called the game, but they just haven't announced it yet."  Then I hear him tell several other people in the crowd the same thing.  Me being the cynic I am, I think it might be true because they just want to keep everybody there for a while to sell more beer & food.  I'm thinking that I'm going to get stuck with all these people trying to get on the metro, so I call my wife.  She hasn't left yet.  I tell her to wait & that I was coming to the car.  I start descending from the 400 level &, on the way down, I keep debating in my mind whether I really want to leave or not.  Should I really take the word of some beer vendor?  It goes against my very being to leave a sporting event early no matter the score or weather conditions.  However, it is raining like crazy & I'm thinking there is no way they're playing this one.  So, after dawdling near the exit for a few minutes & trying to get some info out of the ticket takers, I finally leave.   :oops: All the way back to VA, it's looking like a good call- we got out of there without having to deal with traffic & crowds.  However, we pull up to the Metro to get my car & I notice that the rain has really let up.  I switch over to 107.7.  The game is coming on.  NOOOOOO!   :o This can't be happening.  I was distraught.   I got home in the bottom of the first & watched the game on TV.   After sitting through a good portion of last-summers July/August collapse, I miss one of the most exciting home games in Nats history:

Soriano blasts 3 bombs
Zimmerman makes an unbelievable catch
Patterson pitches awesome
Church's triple & the comeback in the 8th

I am so mad at myself right now. :x  :x  :x    Carpenter said several times during the game that the "hearty fans that stayed got a treat" and things like that.  

:idea: I WILL NEVER LEAVE A NATIONALS GAME EARLY AGAIN UNTIL THE LAST OUT IS RECORDED OR THEY ANNOUNCE ON THE P.A. SYSTEM THAT THE GAME HAS BEEN CALLED. :idea:

P.S. I remember that beer vendor from last year; I am going to the game again on Monday & I'm going to tell him he's an a**hole when I see him.

Offline UMDNats

I'm a jacka**
« Reply #1: April 22, 2006, 01:32:36 AM »
if it makes you feel any better, i would have left to.

that sucks man. i enjoyed watching the game on TV, one of the few all year.

Nationalzfanatic88

I'm a jacka**
« Reply #2: April 22, 2006, 01:36:00 AM »
Quote from: "Nats19"

...wish i could relate..but I get to see ALL THE GAMES..HAHAHAA, sorry that's my "I'm so relieved I don't have to deal with Comcast anymore" evil side coming out :wink:

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
I'm a jacka**
« Reply #3: April 22, 2006, 08:28:50 AM »
Quote from: "Nationalzfanatic88"
Quote from: "Nats19"

...wish i could relate..but I get to see ALL THE GAMES..HAHAHAA, sorry that's my "I'm so relieved I don't have to deal with Comcast anymore" evil side coming out :wink:

You know the rest of the guys and gals are probably gonna string you up by your curlies if you keep teasing them about that ;)

Offline rileyn

Re: I'm a jacka**
« Reply #4: April 22, 2006, 08:30:07 AM »
Quote from: "LetsGoNats"
First, I'll start with the fact that I'm by no means a casual fan of the Nats.  I went to 25 games last year, 2 spring training games this year, the "Battle of the Beltway" pre-season game, and the opener.  Never once did I leave before the last out of the game, even if we were getting pounded.

I had tickets tonight & had looked forward to it all week.   I knew it was supposed to rain this afternoon & tonight, so all day at work I kept checking out weather.com for the forecast.  It said it was going to rain, but I could see outside that it was holding off.  8) So, about 5:15, I head to the metro & I'm on my way.  Still not raining.  I come out at the metro at RFK & it's raining.   :cry: By the time I get to the stadium (~6:45), it's pouring.  I go in & go to my seat and they cover the infield and delay the game.   About this time my wife & son arrive (they drove from home).  We waited over an hour & it's raining like crazy with no sign of letting up.  My wife decides she wants to leave because she's cold & tired, so we agree that she'll take the car & go on home and my son & I will take the Metro home.  

Well, she's gone about 10 minutes when I hear one of the beer vendors tell another beer vendor that "They've called the game, but they just haven't announced it yet."  Then I hear him tell several other people in the crowd the same thing.  Me being the cynic I am, I think it might be true because they just want to keep everybody there for a while to sell more beer & food.  I'm thinking that I'm going to get stuck with all these people trying to get on the metro, so I call my wife.  She hasn't left yet.  I tell her to wait & that I was coming to the car.  I start descending from the 400 level &, on the way down, I keep debating in my mind whether I really want to leave or not.  Should I really take the word of some beer vendor?  It goes against my very being to leave a sporting event early no matter the score or weather conditions.  However, it is raining like crazy & I'm thinking there is no way they're playing this one.  So, after dawdling near the exit for a few minutes & trying to get some info out of the ticket takers, I finally leave.   :oops: All the way back to VA, it's looking like a good call- we got out of there without having to deal with traffic & crowds.  However, we pull up to the Metro to get my car & I notice that the rain has really let up.  I switch over to 107.7.  The game is coming on.  NOOOOOO!   :o This can't be happening.  I was distraught.   I got home in the bottom of the first & watched the game on TV.   After sitting through a good portion of last-summers July/August collapse, I miss one of the most exciting home games in Nats history:

Soriano blasts 3 bombs
Zimmerman makes an unbelievable catch
Patterson pitches awesome
Church's triple & the comeback in the 8th

I am so mad at myself right now. :x  :x  :x    Carpenter said several times during the game that the "hearty fans that stayed got a treat" and things like that.  

:idea: I WILL NEVER LEAVE A NATIONALS GAME EARLY AGAIN UNTIL THE LAST OUT IS RECORDED OR THEY ANNOUNCE ON THE P.A. SYSTEM THAT THE GAME HAS BEEN CALLED. :idea:

P.S. I remember that beer vendor from last year; I am going to the game again on Monday & I'm going to tell him he's an a**hole when I see him.

I'm a jack **too!  My story is almost EXACTLY the same as yours.  The rain held off all day until I got on E Capitol Street and then when I saw the tarp my heart sank.  We waited until 8:15 and the rain showed no signs of letting up.  I got home to watch the entire game.  Damn!

Offline LetsGoNats

I'm a jacka**
« Reply #5: April 22, 2006, 01:22:40 PM »
Now I know how a player feels when they have a bad game or lose in dramatic fashion and can't wait until they play the next game.  I can't wait until Monday night.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
I'm a jacka**
« Reply #6: April 22, 2006, 01:48:14 PM »
Now I know how a player feels when they have a bad game or lose in dramatic fashion and can't wait until they play the next game.  I can't wait until Monday night.

I'll be at RFK Monday night too...I'm in 421; row 3, seat 9.

Offline LetsGoNats

Re: I'm a jacka**
« Reply #7: September 29, 2006, 01:27:21 PM »

I'm patting myself on the back here, but I waited through the 4 1/2 hour rain delay and stayed to the end of the game last night.   What a reward to see the obnoxious, arrogant Phillies fans scurrying off like rats when Howard flew out in the 9th (they didn't even stick around to see Conine ground out for the final out!)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
I'm a jacka**
« Reply #8: September 29, 2006, 02:18:17 PM »
Zombie thread!!!

Way to go LetsGoNats :lol: ;)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
I'm a jacka**
« Reply #9: September 29, 2006, 02:55:15 PM »
LOL, it wasn't until I read Senators' post that I noticed the date - April, and that the long delay was not last night, but many months ago.  

But congrats for sticking it out, and it was well worth it, I bet.

I once went to Philly of all places, to see a game back in the early 70's.  Wouldn't you know it, it was a 17 inning game, and we didn't have any gas left in the tank hardly.  Driving around some awful parts of Philadelphia in the early morning looking for an open gas station, then stopping at a diner so our dads could sober up for the drive back to DC.  Ah, late night baseball!!