Author Topic: Out of state Nationals Die Hard... Anyone else got that Natitude?  (Read 1136 times)

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
When the Nationals played their first game on Thursday, April 14th, 2005, I made the long trek from Arizona to see our inaugural season opener (somehow I scored six additional tickets for everyone in my family and my best friend from Manassas - I had two season tickets that I had already purchased for my parents). I have since been to each season's home opener adding the away opener in Wrigley this season. With the NLDS around the corner, I scored two tickets during the pre-sale for my dad and I - PNC Diamond Club at that (I'll be making the trip from Texas). Anyone else out of state like me and consistently making the trip back to DC? I booked a flight and flew to LA to see B Harp's first game as a Nat this season (too bad Kemp ruined that evening).

My Nationals framed memorabilia is something else as well. My dad worked for the Washington Post (laborer, not a writer) and got me the actual press plates that the newspapers were printed on from the inaugural game. I have one piece framed with the press plate, the Opening Day program, the inaugural ticket stub vs the Diamondbacks, the ticket stub for their first away game ever versus the Phillies, and a ticket stub for their first ever Spring Training game versus the Mets. This is one of seven items that I have since had framed. Now I get to work on my eighth piece... the tickets and program from their first ever playoff game (as well as a picture with my father who is aging quickly unfortunately). Anyways, my living room is a shrine to the Nationals. Any die hards like myself out there? I know I can't be alone...

You are not. I live in NYC, but was born in old Garfield Hospital, third generation Washingtonian. My dad worked for PEPCO, at the Bennings Power Plant. Once a season, he got the PEPCO box seats. Other times, somebody's dad wojld take a carload of kids and we'd sit in the bleachers -- 75 cent seats and worth it just for the batting practice baseballs that Killebrew, Lemon, Allison, and Sievers would hit to us.

Bob Wolff, Arch MacDonald, Mickey Vernon, Roy Sievers. The smell of cigar smoke in the stands mixed with the sweet Bond Bread bakery.

The Washington Senators have always been my team, even during that 30 year road trip after the '71 season.