Author Topic: Verizon to start charging $30 upgrade fees on April 22  (Read 455 times)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2012/04/verizon-to-start-charging-30-upgrade-fees-on-april-22.ars

Verizon, the last holdout against device upgrade fees, has finally given in. The company announced Wednesday that it will start charging customers $30 to get new phones starting April 22. This isn't the cheapest fee, but it's still less expensive than either AT&T or Sprint.

Both Sprint and AT&T had been charging $18 to customers for buying new phones with two-year contracts for some time. Sprint doubled its fee to $36 in September of 2011, followed by AT&T in February of 2012, while T-Mobile is sticking to its $18 upgrade fee.

To its credit, Verizon, which has never charged an upgrade fee up to this point, waited well past the holiday rush of new smartphones like the iPhone 4S and Samsung Galaxy Nexus before starting to charge customers for upgrading. We don't expect customers will be happy with this upgrade tax, but Verizon states the fees will help it "continue to provide customers with the level of service and support they have come to expect." The company further notes that trading in old handsets through its trade-in program would help offset the new upgrade costs it has established.

Offline HalfSmokes

This fee will help us continue to provide customers with the level of service and support they have come to expect which includes Wireless Workshops, online educational tools, and consultations with experts who provide advice and guidance on devices that are more sophisticated than ever

if I decline all of the above I wonder if they'll waive the fee?

http://news.verizonwireless.com/news/2012/04/bl2012-04-11.html

Offline Tokeydog

• I like beer!
Damn it!  Just when I need a new phone.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
I love how the carriers charge fees to customers that want to stay with them :smh:

I wouldn't have to pay the fee if I were to switch to Verizon from AT&T, would I?

Offline HalfSmokes

I love how the carriers charge fees to customers that want to stay with them :smh:

I wouldn't have to pay the fee if I were to switch to Verizon from AT&T, would I?

$36 activation fee

Offline 1995hoo

Damn it!  Just when I need a new phone.

So buy it before April 22!

Offline HerndonNat

• FSU Football
But aren't you already paying a fee by paying to upgrade the phone?  I know you get a discount on upgrading with a 2 year activation but you are still paying.

Offline HalfSmokes

But aren't you already paying a fee by paying to upgrade the phone?  I know you get a discount on upgrading with a 2 year activation but you are still paying.

the cost of the phone is already built into the plan (i.e att/verizon are recouping the difference between the $200 you pay for a phone and the $600 they pay through the regular monthly charges- this is on top of that), so you may as well upgrade since you're already being charged for it