Author Topic: Miami Marlins - Anybody Betting on Trouble - Protests, etc. at Nats park  (Read 780 times)

Offline CatsEye

• Very weird season -Creepy - What....
 So just wondering -Anybody think that there will be trouble with protestors at Nats park when the Miami Marlins come to play-due to Ozzie's comments?
 Thoughts?

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
What did Ozzie say ?

So just wondering -Anybody think that there will be trouble with protestors at Nats park when the Miami Marlins come to play-due to Ozzie's comments?
 Thoughts?

Offline CatsEye

• Very weird season -Creepy - What....
What did Ozzie say ?

He praised Fidel Castro as the Cuban leader. The whole Miami community is up in arms and protesting, at the Ballpark, in the city, etc., per my friend in Florida. Just wonder if there will be repercussions here, when they come  to play at Nats Park  at the end of this week, with the Hispanic community over Ozzie's unfortunate remarks...........Signs, protests, etc.

Offline captkirk42

• Curly W Cards
What did Ozzie say ?
I don't know exactly what he said but it was Pro-Fidel Castro. He praised him for doing or saying something, maybe just in general. He has since apologized for whatever it is he said. So it is so yesterdays news.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
He said he admired Castro for surviving for 60 years while the entire world wanted him dead. He didn't praise Castro's policies.

And maybe, considering this is DC and everyone has to protest about something. We had those idiot protesters interrupt a game last year about that Arizona stuff and hang their sign upside down.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
Unlike Miami, DC isn't a hotbed of Cuban thugs wanting power back.  I'm not congradulating Castro, but there is a reason he was able to come to power in the first place.

He praised Fidel Castro as the Cuban leader. The whole Miami community is up in arms and protesting, at the Ballpark, in the city, etc., per my friend in Florida. Just wonder if there will be repercussions here, when they come  to play at Nats Park  at the end of this week, with the Hispanic community over Ozzie's unfortunate remarks...........Signs, protests, etc.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
 Thoughts?

the Marlins have drawn over 30k a game since Ozzie opened his trap.  I'm betting this whole thing is overblown.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
I really hope the protestors run out on the field and get a good ol' fashioned hickory shampoo.  Fascist Police State for the win.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
I really hope the protestors run out on the field and get a good ol' fashioned hickory shampoo.  Fascist Police State for the win.

As long as they start by caning Giancarlo first, we're all good.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
I'll be there Friday night and I ain't startin' no crap.

Offline BerkeleyNat

I don't think so. There's not a whole lot of Cubans in the DC area that I know of.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Nospin would've been there for sure.

Offline Obed_Marsh

Considering no one showed up to protest in Miami on Friday I suspect this is just a media tempest in a teacup.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
It's not like the Marlins are big crowd-pullers here anyway...only once in Nats Park history has a Marlins visit drawn over 30k (33,247 for a Strasburg start on Saturday 17th September 2011), and the poorest-drawing Saturday and Sunday matches in Nats Park history have both been Marlins visits - Saturday 11th September 2010 (17,941) and the day after, Sunday 12th September 2010 (16,788) - in fact of the 35 Marlins visits to Nats Park thus far, 14 have drawn under 20k.

Those who went to last night's match against the Astros saw only 16,245 in the stands despite Strasburg starting, in large part since last night went up against Caps-Bruins Game 3 - expect a similarly thin crowd Saturday since that day's Marlins match goes up against Game 5 of that series (face-off 15.00) which, even though it'll be in Boston this time, is at this writing a potential deciding match.

Offline DC_Nats

Unlike Miami, DC isn't a hotbed of Cuban thugs wanting power back.  I'm not congradulating Castro, but there is a reason he was able to come to power in the first place.

^This. Context is important and while Ozzie was careless in his choice of words (he used the word 'respect'), his point was that it's surprising that Castro has survived all these years despite some many people and country(ies) wanting him dead.

And not surprisingly, Selig the hypocrite made a statement of support for the Marlins suspension of Ozzie and stated that baseball has a reponsibility for having sensitivity for all cultures. He must have been absolutely hammered when he and Angeloser sat with Castro during the O's visit to Cuba because he obviously doesn't remember it.