Author Topic: Nationals vs Orioles, Game 1  (Read 14992 times)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Re: Nationals vs Orioles, Game 1
« Reply #350: May 22, 2009, 10:20:06 PM »
Better than what?  They're 17 games under .500 in MAY

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #351: May 22, 2009, 10:21:39 PM »
Better than what?  They're 17 games under .500 in MAY
Better than the '62 Mets...at losing.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #352: May 22, 2009, 10:22:30 PM »
More games under .500 than WINS.  Seriously.  WTFH

Offline Skinz72

• Say hello to the DL-inator!!
« Reply #353: May 22, 2009, 10:23:11 PM »
:rofl: We've been saying/hoping that all year...
I would suggest that was mere wishful thinking.  I am suggesting a real turnaround based on the "Young Turk Pitching Crew" we have here in DC.  Combine that with the offense, that until very recently, has been effective, ought to provide ofr at least .500 ball for the remainder of the year.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #354: May 22, 2009, 10:23:20 PM »
Acta sucking the O's pitchers off once again.

No demotion of Wells? :roll:

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #355: May 22, 2009, 10:24:48 PM »
now he's making more excuses for Wells and bending down on his knees for Adam Jones.

freak you. Wells is trash

Offline The Chief

« Reply #356: May 22, 2009, 10:25:24 PM »
Dude...  the offense was trash, and Wells got 5 outs and then got burned on a freak hit by the pitcher.  Get a freaking grip already.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #357: May 22, 2009, 10:26:22 PM »
You could play a serious drinking game with Acta's pressers...  SO MUCH ENCOURAGEMENT

Offline PC

« Reply #358: May 22, 2009, 10:26:45 PM »
One hit in the last eight innings.  That's really bad.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #359: May 22, 2009, 10:27:25 PM »
Dude...  the offense was trash, and Wells got 5 outs and then got burned on a freak hit by the pitcher.  Get a freaking grip already.
it's not just this game (although giving up a hit to the relief pitcher is unheard of), it's all season with Wells. He is killing us out there. 6.30 ERA

Offline The Chief

« Reply #360: May 22, 2009, 10:27:55 PM »
it's not just this game (although giving up a hit to the relief pitcher is unheard of), it's all season with Wells. He is killing us out there. 6.30 ERA

I'm not arguing that, but for this game, place the blame where it really belongs.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #361: May 22, 2009, 10:30:23 PM »
You could play a serious drinking game with Acta's pressers...  SO MUCH ENCOURAGEMENT
Knowing that I can drink my ass off tonight since I've got a 3 day weekend is very en-coor-adge-ing.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #362: May 22, 2009, 10:30:38 PM »
I think Knight has finally cracked.  He's just laughing and smiling like he's lost his mind.  This team finally broke him :?

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #363: May 23, 2009, 12:09:27 AM »
now he's making more excuses for Wells and bending down on his knees for Adam Jones.

freak you. Wells is trash

Wells is garbage, always has been, and always will be. Too bad a game like this won't cost him his job.

As frustrating as it was sitting there in the stands watching this one get away, I can't help but see the positive things that developed that would be more obvious if this game was played in a vacuum as opposed to being seen in light of what has gone on all season. In a vacuum, this would have seemed like a fairly crisp game that got away from a bad reliever. In a way, that's a good thing since it highlights the fact that guys like Wells are the bad spots on this team. We actually have quite a good young arsenal of starting pitching that likely wouldn't see the light of day on any other franchise. The offense had an off night, but was also hamstrung by a less than stellar lineup that also had the lefties matched up well. Pepto Beimal was actually used correctly and delivered, Villone continued to be Mr. Bullpen, and Bergie was finally used well and ended up having one of the best DPs of the season.

Overall, this was a good game in isolation that was spoiled by some weak play by Wells and some poor offensive effort, but would normally yield a .500 record if it was the way we played every day.

I do have to say that the move to warm up Baez after taking a 2-run lead in extra innings only to turn around and bring in the closer so he could get extra warm up pitches may have been one of the more offensive and annoying managerial moves I have seen. I've seen Joe Torre pull similar garbage to have a pitcher start an inning only to make a series of throws to 1B  without throwing a pitch and then pulling the guy for the reliever. It's annoying, but is a cheesy way to get extra warmups. But in extra innings when you take a two run lead, get your freaking closer warmed up to start the bottom of the inning. That BS tonight of making the crowd wait to watch Baez warm up and have Dunn announced and then having Sherrill come in while the O's gave Baez a send off was just flat out bullcrap.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #364: May 23, 2009, 12:16:21 AM »
yeah it was an enjoyable game up until Wells crap his pants with Baez at the plate.

"Stuff like that is going to happen," Wells said. "Two balls down the line that stayed fair and a swinging bunt by the pitcher and you give up two runs and we lose."

Stuff like that happens when you can't pitch, jackass.

Offline PC

« Reply #365: May 23, 2009, 12:36:27 AM »
It doesn't matter that Wells gave up two runs.  The loser of this game was going to be a Nats reliever because the offense wasn't going to score anymore.  Period.  They were done.  Two was their max.

If it hadn't been Wells, it would have been Colome or Cabrera or Hanrahan or Tavarez.  It was going to be one of them.

Step back away from reflexively blaming the bullpen and look at what they would have had to do to win this game, either score a run themselves or go back in time and take back one of the runs that Zimmermann gave up.  That was the only way the Nationals could have scored more runs than the Orioles.

If the score was 9-7 and the bullpen gave up 5 runs then the blame could rightly, as is usual this season, be placed on them.  A reliever CAN NOT win a game when the score is tied.  All the relievers can do is delay the loss when your offense isn't producing.

When you score two runs in twelve innings, have ONE hit in the last eight, you are going to lose that game almost every time.  How your pitchers perform is almost irrelevant.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #366: May 23, 2009, 12:40:59 AM »
The O's offense didn't do jack crap either. They were in the same boat as us. But their relief pitchers pitched their asses off long enough for their offense to finally score runs.

Offline PC

« Reply #367: May 23, 2009, 12:42:36 AM »
The O's offense didn't do jack crap either. They were in the same boat as us. But their relief pitchers pitched their asses off long enough for their offense to finally score runs.

But their offense wasn't done after two runs like ours.  They, unlike us, could produce more runs.

...and I have the actual game footage to prove my point.

The game couldn't end in a tie so the Orioles, because they could score more runs, were going to win.  No bullpen could hold an opponent down long enough for us to win this game unless we got 12 new position players in the extra innings.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #368: May 23, 2009, 12:47:59 AM »
The Birds' offense was shut out 8 innings in a row (innings 4-11).

They showed no indication of scoring more and if it weren't for Wells giving up a hit to the relief pitcher we may have won the game.

Baez would have been pitching in the bottom of the 11th, not Sherrill, against Dunn-Willingham-Belliard.

The offense definitely deserves blame for this loss but so does Wells. 2-16 record for the pen now.  :evil:

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #369: May 23, 2009, 10:22:27 AM »
Evidently, he's been benched for allowing Hanrahan's wild pitch to get past him in Pirates g. 3.     :?

:?

Seriously?  It's overkill.  You wanna blame Hanrahan for Kip Wells' hanging slider too?

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #370: May 23, 2009, 10:24:33 AM »
Zimmerman because he hit a 2 run homer instead of a 5-run one?

Or maybe Hanrahan for telling Wells not to throw one in the dirt?    :?