Author Topic: With all this “great year” self-congratulatory back-slapping, just once ...  (Read 2044 times)

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
BTW, did you hear they voted to remove "Corner" from "Tyson's Corner" :lol:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/dc-politics/tysons-corner-is-unofficially-dropping-the-corner-from-its-name/2012/10/04/2baa23c8-0e4c-11e2-bd1a-b868e65d57eb_story.html

Good read. It reminds when Metro came through Arlington and they renamed Parkington into Ballston. Same issues. And does anyone now remember it used to be called Parkington? Anyone under 30, that is.

Offline Baseball is Life

I was in Tysons today, it's a crap hole construction site with a mess of strip malls and nowhere to walk - those developers are smoking crack. It might be different in a few years.

The beauty of having lived a few decades is that you've seen urban transformation right before your eyes. Tysons in 20 years will be vastly different than it is now. Just like Ballston is now vastly different than it was 20 years ago. Metro changes everything.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Good read. It reminds when Metro came through Arlington and they renamed Parkington into Ballston.

Also when J. Peterman went to Burma and they renamed it Myanmar.

Online HalfSmokes

Metro changes everything.

I wonder if you can be far enough out on a line for that not to hold- how long has white Flint been trying to get back to what it used to be,  then again Rockville and shady Grove seem to be doing well

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Metro brought the riff-raff to White Flint. Metro changes everything, but not always for the better. ;)

The funny thing about the Shady Grove area is that the area itself has really not changed much (apart from King Farm, which I think would have been developed anyway). What has changed is the major highways that run into/right by the Metro station. I guess the huge medical/education center at the other end of Shady Grove Road is pretty significant, too.

Commuter terminal stations are not like walkable stations. Very few people risk biking/walking to the SG station. I guess what I'm saying is, you're right.

Now, the MARC train is transforming Old Towne Gaithersburg. Huge apartment buildings going up within safe walking distance of the in-town train station.

I wonder if you can be far enough out on a line for that not to hold- how long has white Flint been trying to get back to what it used to be,  then again Rockville and shady Grove seem to be doing well

Offline Baseball is Life

It changes everything....eventually.

Metro brought the riff-raff to White Flint. Metro changes everything, but not always for the better. ;)

Don't go all Georgetown-like elite on me. Those idiots kept Metro out of there and they've been complaining about parking for about 30 years now.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
My point is it doesn't turn everything in a walkable, liveable paradise.  The Shady Grove station is about a half mile off Shady Grove Road with no sidewalk leading to it. The SG station turned the SG area from quiet suburbia to eight lanes of paved hell.

It changes everything....eventually.

Don't go all Georgetown-like elite on me. Those idiots kept Metro out of there and they've been complaining about parking for about 30 years now.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday

That's going to be the issue with Tysons - 4 stops, sure, but how often will the Silver Line run? Surely not every 4 minutes during rush hour - they have to share the tunnel with the blue line and orange line.

They are building White Flint into a much bigger version of Tysons, but not building any significant road upgrades nor adding train capacity. It is going to be a disaster.